Poll

Should Strat goods production be cRPG activity based?

Yes
84 (77.1%)
No
25 (22.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: A simple change to Strat that will make a big difference  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Beat

• Mighty
  • Knight
  • Renown: 71
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: A simple change to Strat that will make a big difference
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:18 pm »
+3
I agree with Slamz's idea for the most part but 60 ticks of cRPG play is too much to ask for 24 hours of crafting.  That would require 7 hours of cRPG a week to be fully active in Strategus.  Some of us don't have 7 hours a week to devote to video games period, let alone this one game.  It should be anywhere from 20-30 ticks for 24 hours (2.5-3.5 hours a week) of crafting with cap of 2-3 weeks built up.  I don't think a multiplier should affect it in any way, playing is playing.  We'd just have to watch out for a potential increase in leechers if this practice is as widespread as you suggest and there are already systems to deal with that.

Perhaps making ticks in Strategus battles worth substantially more than cRPG ticks would be a good addition to the above idea but we should also consider other ways of dealing with this issue than a playtime requirement.  I am very active in Strategus, both in crafting, moving around on the map and battles. I love strategy games and look forward to the further development of Strategus.  Although I play cRPG often, there are some weeks that I don't play much and I'm sure there are other players like me.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:53 pm »
+2
A question for you in return Plazek

Why does a person that does not play cRPG and does not play Strat Battles need to be able to craft goods on Strat?

You play Strat Battles and would therefore generate work like that under Slamz suggestion so would not be adversely affected by it.  Why are you fighting so hard for people that are clearly not interested in actually playing Strat either at that moment in time or at all?

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »
That is exactly Slamz idea - you call it "Personal Gold", whereas he calls it "Work Hours".
Ah yeah, you're right.  The numbers in his post are a bit low so it must have just slipped my mind or been in the back until that point.

Well, I would support a solution like that if we can keep the numbers casual.  There are a LOT of players who DO NOT play c-RPG at all, and only log into strat to transfer goods, and I can understand that as a problem.  I just hope the solution is not *too* radical.   (I.E. what I understand of the OP: You play to craft, and if you play a lot you craft a lot.)
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »
+1
What you need though is some reasoning as to the why of this statement:
If you haven't played cRPG at all in 2 weeks, there is no reason you should still be able to crank goods in Strategus.

Because it will cause a lot of problems.

I actually have a guild of well over 100 members that I have been running for literally years.  They are MMORPG players presently playing Rift and SWTOR.  Most of them aren't interested in cRPG but if I asked nicely during a weekend Steam sale of Warband I'm sure I could convince a good number of them to buy Warband and make accounts here just to log in once a week and feed me goods (I pay for their Vent server -- they owe me one!)

Is that the Strategus you really want?  Where outside, non-cRPG influence completely dominates the game?  *I* think that's exceedingly lame, which is why I haven't done it.

How about this instead: for every $5 we send chadz, he will give us an additional login that we can use to generate goods with.  This is basically what your suggestion amounts to.  It's no longer a game of skill or diplomacy -- it's a game of "who can get the most logins".

I think the bottom line problem is that "number of accounts" matters far, far more than "numbers of active players".  10 people who login once a week will make far more cash than 5 people who play 10 hours a day (this is not a hyperbole -- do the math if you like).

So how do we solve this problem?  How do we prevent outside influence from dominating Strategus?  How do we keep the focus on people who actually like and play the game?

I agree with Slamz's idea for the most part but 60 ticks of cRPG play is too much to ask for 24 hours of crafting.

I'm flexible on the numbers.  Basically I want to separate "people who play" from "people who don't play".  I don't think 1 hour a day for "full time" is too much to ask.  Does every player have to be full time?  Even if you only play 15 minutes a day, that's still helping the clan, albeit not as much as someone who plays an hour a day.

There could even be something of a tiered system to reward both casual and hard core players:

First 30 ticks = 1 "work" per tick
Next 30 ticks = .5 "work" per tick
After that = .25 "work" per tick

So people who really do play 6 hours a day will get more "work" points for goods but it's diminishing returns.  If you play 30 minutes, you've gotten the low hanging fruit.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 11:56:46 pm »
+1
Addendum:

Fighting in a Strat battle could generate x5 (or more) "work" per tick.

So people who say, "I only like Strategus" would still be able to produce goods if they actually fight in Strategus battles.

If you don't play cRPG and you don't fight in Strategus battles, then I re-iterate that you have no business producing goods and being a major economic factor, for reasons I described above.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:18:34 am by Slamz »
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:36:39 am »
A question for you in return Plazek

Why does a person that does not play cRPG and does not play Strat Battles need to be able to craft goods on Strat?

You play Strat Battles and would therefore generate work like that under Slamz suggestion so would not be adversely affected by it.  Why are you fighting so hard for people that are clearly not interested in actually playing Strat either at that moment in time or at all?

Because often there is not a good strategus battle worth fighting in. It would also create the perverse situation where in peace and not fighting battles your economic production would decrease.

---

Sure you could go and ask all these people to do this for you and good luck to you with it. Maybe you would get 100 people to come and work for you, while I am not sure this is necessarily ideal I prefer it to a situation where I have to log hours of crpg every day to remain competitive in strategus.

But hell if you are able to get all these people to come then more power to you. I am not necessarily sure it is such a terrible idea as you say. Who are these clans with all these inactive hordes anyway.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 02:30:03 am »
+1
Because often there is not a good strategus battle worth fighting in. It would also create the perverse situation where in peace and not fighting battles your economic production would decrease.

So a system that encourages more battles and more wars is a bad thing?  If your members that only want to play Strat Battles don't have enough Strat Battles to play in then it is us to you as their leader to provide them with interesting battles to fight in.  You don't even have to declare war on someone to do this as after 4 months of Strat there are still neutral fiefs to take.

For the record under Slamz x5 suggestion for Strat Battles it would only take 84 mins to gain 1 weeks worth of crafting.  This isn't exactly promoting global scale war. However to make it even easier travelling in Strat could gain you work hours but at a reduced rate.  If you are travelling, then you are active and attackable and therefore you are a functioning part of Strategus so it isn't unbalanced or against the OP principal.  You could even have it so that the more troops you lead and the better their equipment, the more work hours you get.  With the 2 week work hour stockpile limit then this again won't unbalance Strat if the right numbers are used.

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:03 am »
It is a good principle to have that the more involved you are in the community (playing cRPG, for example) the more you should be rewarded for it.

Rewarding people simply for existing (or buying several accounts) but not adding to the game/community is bad.

TL;DR
Reward PLAYERS, not NON-PLAYERS.
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2012, 02:36:09 am »
Edit: Double post? Weird.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:55:11 am by Garem »
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
Bump to put this back up the list for more votes and also ask if any Devs are willing acknowledge it

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »
Ffs i can't craft any weapons and shit to my faction cuz i quit retiring before chadztext implemented , i am not a hardcore cRPG gamer but i am an officer in Empire and running strategus business if that shit gets implemented , i will be completely useful so big NO from me and fu for the guy who suggested it :P

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:41 pm »
Ffs i can't craft any weapons and shit to my faction cuz i quit retiring before chadztext implemented , i am not a hardcore cRPG gamer but i am an officer in Empire and running strategus business if that shit gets implemented , i will be completely useful so big NO from me and fu for the guy who suggested it :P

1)  As has been repeated over and over again, the aim is not to disntinguish between casual and hardcore gamers with an uncapped system.  Only people that do not play cRPG or Strat Battles at all would be unable to work

2)  If organising your clan's members is your thing, then this will still be possible for you.  Nobody has mentioned anything about banning or removing inactive people from Strat - we just want to remove their influence on the economy.

3)  A work system does not have to stop people moving round the map, leading armies, caravans or raiders.  The only thing that it has to do is prevent clans from gaining an economic advantage through their inactive members.  So no goods or equipment crafting and no troop recruiting.  I would be happy with this as if you are moving around you are open to attack and therefore involved in the game.  The inactive crafters meanwhile are hidden away in well defended fiefs where they can't be touched.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:07 pm »

You can still craft tradegoods with your earned time. Someone has to do this too. Your other members can make it to equipment.
Another solution would be if you could transfer your Work-Hours to other Clan-Members like you do with gold.

It´s a shame that people say no without taking part in the discussion and trying to bring up their concerns so people can think about it.
It´s always me me me me and if i dont like it i wont even talk further.

To the TE:
Its a great idea but the last thing chadz did in strategus was punishing fallen with aladin.
There have been a lot of ideas in this forum and a lot of them would have done great things to strat but
we should probably ask chadz first if he is still liking strategus and planing to improve it further.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 09:53:05 pm »
But this is the point, Koyama and myself appear to be extremely active on strat, probably more active than you guys proposing this bullshit. Yet this would make us unable to contribute economically to the well being of our factions because we do not grind crpg.

I asked who these alleged factions are with all these hordes of inactives who never actually play and yet you name no names. It is well known that multiple accounters get banned for this as it is against the rules so these people must be playing strategus ergo they are not inactive. It is just strategus is not a very intense game and only requires you log in a few times a week, or less.

If you think people need to be more "active" how about instead of insisting some kind of bullshit grinding is implemented for strat how about suggesting ways to make strat more interactive and engaging, to make it a game where being active in it is rewarded instead of trying to make a giant timesink that punishes everyone except nolifers.

---

Really your whole definition of being active in strat is nonsensical. You say to be active in strat you have to play crpg. This is idiotic. They are two seperate games.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 10:35:53 pm »
+1
If you think people need to be more "active" how about instead of insisting some kind of bullshit grinding is implemented for strat how about suggesting ways to make strat more interactive and engaging, to make it a game where being active in it is rewarded instead of trying to make a giant timesink that punishes everyone except nolifers.

Here's your fix to make the game more interactive and engaging: turn it into an MMORPG.

And while chadz works on that over the next 5 years, we can, as a temporary solution, use cRPG.

Really your whole definition of being active in strat is nonsensical. You say to be active in strat you have to play crpg. This is idiotic. They are two seperate games.

cRPG is a separate game from Strat, is it?

So why does playing cRPG generate strat gold?
What does playing Strat give you XP in cRPG?
Why does playing cRPG give you the crafting points you need to make loomed gear in Strat?
You may also have noticed that Strat battles take place inside of cRPG.  You did notice that, right?
Also, Strategus seems to fall under the "cRPG forum", which you are using right now.  It's not a separate mod.  It does not stand alone.

They are two parts of the same game.

Any any rate, as a compromise, just boost the cRPG->Strategus money income.

Currently: 0 gold per tick at 1-2x, 1 gold per tick at 3-4x, 2 gold per tick at 5x

That is an almost completely useless amount of money.

Should be: 0 gold per tick at 1-2x, 15 gold per tick at 3-4x, 30 gold per tick at 5x

60 minutes at 3x bonus would be 900 gold, which is right around what you could make in strategus per AFK player per day just by taking his goods and selling them somewhere.

Really I think the reason a few of you are so mad about the idea is your clan has been relying on a large number of basically inactive players to feed you goods.  Is that fair to the real players?  More to the point, do we really want Strategus to turn into a Facebook style game where whoever can invite the most warm bodies to click a couple buttons once a week wins?

Strategus for cRPG players!

Down with AFK-Strategus!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:37:59 pm by Slamz »
Norse Horde