Author Topic: Automatic Master-Of-The-Battlefield  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Automatic Master-Of-The-Battlefield
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:19:42 am »
Automatically trigger MOTB:
I think it would be a good idea to have the Master of the Battlefield (MOTB) flags appear near the end of every round automatically, perhaps when 2 minutes are remaining. MOTB is the flags that currently are only triggered when both teams are out of combat for a full minute (I think). It serves to bring the players together to fight and break any stalemate. MOTB would put an end to players camping, where they force the opponents to either come to them to get slaughtered or be stuck with a draw. The problem is that it's difficult to get a whole team of players to stay out of combat to trigger MOTB and force campers out into a fair fight. Making it automatic for each round eliminates the need for that.

No camping:
This isn't siege, so no team should be granted the advantage of camping some tower's easily defensible entrance and forcing the opponents to come. It's okay to camp a spot in the middle of a battle in order to make it hard for the other team to systematically clear the area. They have the option to leave the campers be, and the campers will then be a threat to come out and attack from behind, or just shoot arrows. It's a fair tactic. But when the camping group are the only ones left to be killed, they should be the ones obligated to come out and fight. MOTB does that, providing an impartial battleground for both teams to fight over.

Optional: Add a minute or 2 to rounds:
I'd suggest adding a minute or 2 to the current round timer to keep the automatic MOTB from triggering often (so make rounds 7 or 8 minutes). Then trigger MOTB with at least 2 minutes remaining. 2 minutes should allow both teams to get to the point and really duke it out to end the battle conclusively. If it were triggered with only 1 minute remaining, I think there is potential for one team to get to the point first to start raising their flag and then only have to defend themselves for a few seconds until the round ends with their flag higher. They could potentially just put up their shield and defend for 20 seconds or so. But with 2 minutes, both teams will likely reach the point with well over a minute remaining and the first ones there will likely not be able to just "steal" the win by defending.

Extra round time probably won't be used much at all:
I don't think adding extra time to the rounds will have much effect on their actual length. Rounds generally end well before the current timer runs out. It usually only gets close to a draw on some large maze-like maps where teams chase each other in circles because there are no central paths, or on some very large maps where 2 skirmishing-type battles can take place in different locations of the map with each team winning in one location and having to travel to each other to fight in a final showdown. And in these cases, players want the timer to be extended, so extra time by default isn't a problem here.

The only other time we get close to draws is when a team is camping, especially if they aren't significantly outnumbered, or some horse archer is running around against infantry. So it is possible that the extra time could make the rounds longer here. But I think it's also equally possible that potential campers will realize that they no longer have that "bargaining power" to force their opponents to attack to avoid a draw since the "attackers" can wait and force the campers out with the MOTB that is guaranteed to come. So it's likely the campers will come out once they realize their strategy will eventually fail. And in the case of a horse archer running around versus infantry, there is already rules that the horse archer has to fight in melee if it's a stalemate and they are just delaying.

Thoughts?

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Master-Of-The-Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:16 pm »
Pretty damned good idea.

It solves the whole "come attach our locked-down tower" vs. "no, come out here you pansies" argument for which server rules are not terribly clear.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »
Automatically trigger MOTB:
I think it would be a good idea to have the Master of the Battlefield (MOTB) flags appear near the end of every round automatically, perhaps when 2 minutes are remaining. MOTB is the flags that currently are only triggered when both teams are out of combat for a full minute (I think). It serves to bring the players together to fight and break any stalemate. MOTB would put an end to players camping, where they force the opponents to either come to them to get slaughtered or be stuck with a draw. The problem is that it's difficult to get a whole team of players to stay out of combat to trigger MOTB and force campers out into a fair fight. Making it automatic for each round eliminates the need for that.

+1
Don't spawn it inside village for those unbalanced maps and it would even go some way to rebalance them.

Offline 3ABP

• Knight
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:31 pm »
+1
It brings more tactics\strategy to every game.
And give a huge boost to teamplay.
              [STR] Strangers Faction
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:03 pm »
Ok. Looks like the approval is unanimous...  :wink:

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:50:32 pm »
I like this idea, hopefully can be done
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:31:28 am »
Bump

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • ..even the wise can not see all ends..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:36:56 am »
+1

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 04:27:50 am »
But then what if an entire team just decides to use that as a tactic instead? Stick together and camp somewhere (teaming on any lone-wolfs) until MOTB starts and then just rushing it? It might even be abused further by cavalry who would just stall until MOTB and then attack those running to the flags?

Offline Philosiraptor

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Scrubnerdbasementlord
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company MurderBoner GoD
  • Game nicks: Philosiraptor_PxC; Thousands of alts..Just call me mike :D
  • IRC nick: Philo
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:55:15 am »
plus one to elite dragon. I think this is a horridly bad idea, that was accepted by people who die too early in rounds or have had bad experiences and do not wish to think about it. I mean, 4 archers 2 cav vs you and a shielder, i would tell you to camp. cause im the end, it IS your best tactic. Siege is about using a team to assault ONE positiion. Battle is assaulting a whole team sexually from any point using the field given as your first strategy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Anders you have a fucking ban thread every day it seems, you lead a sad life my friend. Ban threads are the cancer that kill this mod.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:05:27 am »
And yeah, that's exactly the problem. When there are 90 dead people waiting in the server you should not tell people to camp or run and generally try to draw it out for as long as possible because it's their best tactic. Rather in this situation the best tactic should be something that ends the round quickly i.e. go for the flags or die trying. As for an entire team camping and then going for the flags, I don't really see the problem. It's not like we don't have entire teams camping (and sometimes winning, sometimes loosing against the rushing team) as it is.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »
Approved.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »
This is the best counter to camping archers on roofs so far - and any other camper too. Sounds good if it can be implemented :)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 10:51:39 pm »
I suggested the same thing in the "Kicked for breaking opponent ladders??" thread, so yeah, +1.

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 07:31:02 am »
But then what if an entire team just decides to use that as a tactic instead? Stick together and camp somewhere (teaming on any lone-wolfs) until MOTB starts and then just rushing it? It might even be abused further by cavalry who would just stall until MOTB and then attack those running to the flags?

There are already server rules against delaying. Any player that would decide to break that rule can do it just the same whether there is there is automatic MOTB or not. In fact, a lone player at the end can already force MOTB by staying out of combat for a minute.

As for a team strategy of camping, that already happens sometimes, and automatic MOTB would make it much less effective. I already explained in the first post how automatic MOTB makes it so the campers no longer can use the threat of causing a draw to force their opponents to attack their defensive stronghold.

As for the specific strategy you mention, which is to camp till MOTB and then rush the flag, this seems like the campers should be at a big disadvantage there too. This is because their opponents should be able to get to the flags quicker (unless for some reason the flags appear on top of the campers, which is another reason why it'd be best to have the MOTB flag location be preset for each map, if possible). So they will have already lost the rush. Then as long as one or more of the non-campers can avoid being totally kicked off of the flag, the non-campers will win the MOTB.