Author Topic: Reasonable Side Sword Nerf  (Read 10342 times)

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
Re: Reasonable Side Sword Nerf
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »
What do not touch the damage, side sword is suppost to be the high end slashing weapon, counterpart to long espadas stabbing.
Just a soldier

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:09 pm »
No, more damage.

You got me there, my mistake, yet the rest you are still comparing only bits of the swords. As was said, side sword is jack of all trades, master of all.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:53 pm »
You got me there, my mistake, yet the rest you are still comparing only bits of the swords. As was said, side sword is jack of all trades, master of all.

Master of all? Espada eslavona has higher thrust damage, there's quite a number with longer reach and it doesn't have the most damage of all 1h weapons sideswings either.

It's just that it performs very well in each of those areas.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »
Master of all means good in everything and side sword IS good in everything nothing wrong there.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »
You can't take it literally obviously. Side sword isn't best but above average (nearly best) at everything. In terms of balance, I guess it should be average, or just provide alternatives. As I said, I don't really care if it gets nerfed or not, just that it would be nice to have more top tier swords to choose from in 1h lines (by either nerfing side sword or introduce new swords/buff the current ones).

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:39 pm »
IMO, side sword should have less thrust damage.
how does the Katana have only 18p yet the side sword has 26p

Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

Katana
weight 1.25
requirement 9
spd rtng 102
weapon length 95
swing damage 35, cut
thrust damage 18 pierce

another great thing is that the side sword can actually STUN the katana due to the weight. (how is side sword heavier than the katana?)
you wouldn't think .05 weight could cause a stun, but it does, long espada stuns the katana as well, these 1 handers must swing this sword pretty hard to be stunning a sword swung in 2 hands.

anyways thats my beef with the sidesword. I wouldn't mind if maybe the Katana had a viable thrust option, then I could see 26 p on the side sword as making sense, but right now the sidesword is actually a side-katana that has been upgraded with an actual thrust that can hurt people.

not even going into the fact that someone using this side-katana can also use a shield that blocks everything and anything with the touch of one mouse button.

okay I'm done, I'll stop being sad & just deal with it.

IMO give side sword 19p 34c :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:09:32 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:50 pm »
IMO, side sword should have less thrust damage.
how does the Katana have only 18p yet the side sword has 26p

Easy, take a look at the swords. The katana is a slashing sword. It's made primarily to... slash and cut.

The sidesword is a stabbing sword. Swords like that were made to thrust into the slits and gaps of the full plate armours of the time (I could be off with my timeline a bit.)

If you want to fix the sidesword in any way, I would suggest increasing the thrusting damage and decreasing the swing damage. That would match the looks a lot more.
Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

To:
Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 28, cut
thrust damage 30 pierce

Still 58 damage points total, but more damage on 1 attack direction and less on the remaining 3. This decreases the overall damage output of the weapon.

It would make an espada eslavona completely useless though and a long espada only viable due to it's range.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:30 pm »
Easy, take a look at the swords. The katana is a slashing sword. It's made primarily to... slash and cut.

The sidesword is a stabbing sword. Swords like that were made to thrust into the slits and gaps of the full plate armours of the time (I could be off with my timeline a bit.)

If you want to fix the sidesword in any way, I would suggest increasing the thrusting damage and decreasing the swing damage. That would match the looks a lot more.
Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

To:
Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 28, cut
thrust damage 30 pierce

Still 58 damage points total, but more damage on 1 attack direction and less on the remaining 3. This decreases the overall damage output of the weapon.

It would make an espada eslavona completely useless though and a long espada only viable due to it's range.

Your solution to "fixing" the side sword is to buff it? Sorry that is a terrible idea and would make any other 1h weapon pointless to use.

Side sword needs a speed reduction because it does have a stab and maybe a small reduction on the slash damage. 95 length for a weapon is hardly what I would class as "medium range" either for a 1h weapon.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:02 pm »
make any other 1h weapon pointless to use.

They already are except for stylistic reasons and aesthetic value (IE:  You like the look).  As far as 1her the only weapons that are worth using stat wise are:
Warhammer for blunt and knockdown
Steel Pick for 1-shot piercing goodness
Side Katana if you need a sword
Long Espanada/Elite Scim if you need a sword with more length (the side sword still beats these two overall though)

Everything else is completely sub-par.  Either too slow (any 1-her with less than 99 speed is too slow compared to the other options), too short (for the swords, 95 reach is barely cutting it as is, no pun intended), or too weak damage wise.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline chief

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:18 pm »
The speed of a scimitar, thrust damage of the Italian sword, and cut damage of a Nordic Champions sword......really?
5 reach doen't make up for dominating in every category.

Price isn't an argument. It's okay if it's completely OP as long as it takes a lil bit longer to get it?

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 26 pierce

To:
Side Sword
weight 1.3
requirement 8
spd rtng 101
weapon length 95
swing damage 28, cut
thrust damage 30 pierce

Maybe make it like.

Side Sword 6200
weight 1.2 (it's flimsy)
requirement 8
spd rtng 100
weapon length 95
swing damage 29, cut
thrust damage 27 pierce

It's supposed to work similar to espada enslavona. ITS NOT CUTTING SWORD. I don't know who get the idea it should be one.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:58 am »
Right now it is the "cutting" sword,
Just a soldier

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 12:14:52 am »
And don't forget - what Sidesword have a thrust attack (thrust damage 26 pierce) while Elite Scimitar - doesn't (thrust damage 0 pierce).

Well, thats a good point.

The Scimitar (and all the other 3-attack-direction-one-handers) are a lot easier to handle; all you have to do is push left mouse button, what makes the Scimitar the best spam weapon in game.

The thrust with a one hander is the thing that needs the most "skill" in crpg.

With a two hander, you can backpedal and stab, aim to the head, and its an insta-kill even with only 6 power strike.

With a one hander, you need to get the proper movement (speed bonus) sword to thrust, or you will bounce of, what means your death against two hand or polearm spammers.

For some weird reason I have started to use the Side Sword myself. I have so much gold I dont need, so I tried it.

Its pretty hard cos of its animation once the shield is done, its a lot easier to parry with axes or maces, and a lot easier to spam with scimitar and all those sabres.

After all, side sword would need a buff, but its okay I guess.

What you people dont understand is that a speed of only 100 wouldnt change anything.

Its the shield that slows you down, especially when you use a heavy one like huscarls, Norman or steel shield.

Use Side Sword, or the cheaper sarranid sword or the Nordic sword, there is no noticable difference on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:15:58 am by Michael »

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:10 am »
They already are except for stylistic reasons and aesthetic value (IE:  You like the look).  As far as 1her the only weapons that are worth using stat wise are:
Warhammer for blunt and knockdown
Steel Pick for 1-shot piercing goodness
Side Katana if you need a sword
Long Espanada/Elite Scim if you need a sword with more length (the side sword still beats these two overall though)

Everything else is completely sub-par.  Either too slow (any 1-her with less than 99 speed is too slow compared to the other options), too short (for the swords, 95 reach is barely cutting it as is, no pun intended), or too weak damage wise.

HORSE SHIT.

Military Sickle owns Steel Pick, Military Hammer owns Warhammer, and a lot of top players use Nordic Champions Sword, Long Arming Sword and are damn good with it.
Also, italian falchion, grosses messer, with really crazy cut damage for a 1hander.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 12:44:14 am »
With a two hander, you can backpedal and stab, aim to the head, and its an insta-kill even with only 6 power strike.

Sadly you prove you have no frigging idea what you're talking about. Backpedaling gives a negative speed bonus, which means your damage is shit.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.