Poll

should cav keep this kind of selection?

yes(only people with money should be able to play cav)
27 (36.5%)
no(skill should be playing a mayor part in the cav selection)
47 (63.5%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: cavalry complaints  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
cavalry complaints
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:42:03 am »
there are people who are complaining about cavalry(especially heavy cav) being OP and in to great numbers, and therefor they want cavalry to get a nerf or that there should be a max amount of cav in each team. i don't agree on that, the problem with cav imo is that is has the wrong slection type.
as example,. not everyone is good at archery, nor is everyone good at being shielder, or piker, etc. but in crpg, if your good at being cav, you still can't be normal cav, you need money, and so, everyone who has a lot of money, can be an asskicking cav. because, lets face it, cavalry is one of the easier classes to play.
ofc, you can also be cav with 20 armor and a good horse and a heavy lance, but cmon.
i say, lets change the selcetion of who cav play as cav by making it more of a chalange instead of a money matter, just like with the other classes.
the problem is... how?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:38:44 pm by Kalam »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: cavalry complaints
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:41:57 am »
Light cav is fine.

If you want to nerf heavy cav, I think the best is to smooth HP and armor values among horses, and at the contrary, make maneuver more extreme.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
I was riding around naked with a nordic sword and no shield wailing on lance cav.

I great cav player on a rouncey with an average weapon can take out a guy on a plated charger in full plate.

Skill is still the deciding factor.

Dan_cheATS wears light armour, uses a mid tier 1h and doesn't ride a plated nightmare. Yet he mostly kicks the arse out of the other cav. He is using skill not money to beat the others into submission/putty.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:42:12 pm »
Heavy cav eats alot of money, i mean alot. People who have loomed heavy horses sell them after a period of time because they can eat all your money for sure. then people will back to light cav again....

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:45:32 pm »
I think a lot of people completely missed the whole point of this thread.  :lol:

tl:dr version: Skill should be a more important factor for cav, and should be used as the balancing factor instead of cost. The problem is how to make cav more skill based.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »
I think a lot of people completely missed the whole point of this thread.  :lol:

tl:dr version: Skill should be a more important factor for cav, and should be used as the balancing factor instead of cost. The problem is how to make cav more skill based.

Riding on a cav does require some skill, depend if you are a 1 handed cav, lancer or a HA. Cav is the most expensive class ya know  :|

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:06:42 pm »
Riding on a cav does require some skill, depend if you are a 1 handed cav, lancer or a HA.

True, but it is widely considered to be the easiest (least skill required) class. OP (and most people I think) believe it should be MORE skill based. i.e bad cav do bad, average cav do average, good cav do good, great cav do great. Not bad cav do average, good cav do very well, and great cav do great.

Cav is the most expensive class ya know  :|

And this is what this would solve. If cav had the same skill level requirement as melee to do well, it wouldn't need to be expensive anymore, and the price could be reduced to a more normal amount.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 1830
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »
Heavy cav eats alot of money, i mean alot. People who have loomed heavy horses sell them after a period of time because they can eat all your money for sure. then people will back to light cav again....

You've joined Great Kun... I mean Great Khans. Therefore you lost all rights to complain when it comes to cavalry.

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »
+1
Money shouldnt be an excuse for balancing anymore, not with these kind of prices of loom points. If that was the case, I'd be whining like fucking hell about HAs upkeep, im losing atleast 12k per hour as a med HA

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 1565
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »
+1
Yeah, upkeep doesn't work anymore.

And "skilled" lancer these days is the one who backstab the best. Cav are better ninjas than Thomek's crew.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 01:35:22 pm »
+1
You've joined Great Kun... I mean Great Khans. Therefore you lost all rights to complain when it comes to cavalry.

People who complain Cav are people who don't usually play as CAV, the reason they would like to complain it is because once the CAV got nerf again then they will have much more advantage against CAV which means they can kill CAV much more easily. Infantry will whine about CAV and Ranged, then CAV will whine about Pikes, Ranged will whine about shielders and CAV lol. It's like a cycle and it keeps going in a circle, You need to understand that Cav is the most powerful and the most expensive class in the game, this is Mount and blade! nuff said  8-)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:39:31 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:29 pm »
+1
True, but it is widely considered to be the easiest (least skill required) class. OP (and most people I think) believe it should be MORE skill based.
And tell me how cavalry could be more "skillbased" as you say? By nerfing it to hell? It won't work because then even the most skilled cav wouldn't be as effective as their skill-level should allow them to be.

i.e bad cav do bad, average cav do average, good cav do good, great cav do great. Not bad cav do average, good cav do very well, and great cav do great.
WUT?

If cavalry is OP to you, get a polearm. Similiar to what was said about archery (Take a shield). And you don't even need a polearm if you stay focused. Yes cavalry is devastating to the infantry which is advancing and attacking other infantry or lonely wanderers, but isn't that how it is supposed to be? I think cavalry encourages teamplay in that sense too. I always giggle when I put my lance through flanking fail ninja (Thomek not you. When I see your throwing weapons I usually wait until you don't see me :D). Upkeep cost is the only way atm to balance out players who don't have the will to learn and be good cav. There is absolutely no point to use so much gold being bad cavalry.

EDIT: And I would like to add to this conversation that good k/d doesn't neccessarily make you skilled or good cav. If you only spawnrape and take easy kills you can get somewhat decent k/d. IMO good cavalry player knows how to help his team to win by bumping enemies, killing ranged, killing enemy cav or their horses etc. That is how you make your team win the rounds and it is more important to me than a good k/d ratio.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:44:24 pm by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2307
  • Infamy: 2796
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »
People who complain Cav are people who don't usually play as CAV, the reason they would like to complain it is because once the CAV got nerf again then they will have much more advantage against CAV which means they can kill CAV much more easily. Infantry will whine about CAV and Ranged, then CAV will whine about Pikes, Ranged will whine about shielders and CAV lol. It's like a cycle and it keeps going in a circle, You need to understand that Cav is the most powerful and the most expensive class in the game, this is Mount and blade! nuff said  8-)

Seems to me that we have another Karasu/Jarlek in the making...

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 01:49:24 pm »
A lot of the cav that popped up seems to be infantry that decided to put some points into riding. Make it so you can't be a beast of a hybrid. You can't get more than 50 % of your riding into athletics if you're cav and not more than 50 % of your athletics into riding if you're infantry. :twisted:

Nah, honestly, I don't find cav that bad bar for the spawnraping. Fuck spawnraping and the ones who do it.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »
Cavalry is super easy and takes no skill at all.  That's why no one ever complains about team damage from cavalry.