Author Topic: Cavalry charging  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Jeric

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • k
    • View Profile
  • Faction: k
  • Game nicks: hey
Cavalry charging
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:39:55 pm »
In real warfare, one could not just charge his or her horse into whatever he or she pleased without the horse suffering damage.

All I'm proposing is that a horses health is effected when it charges an enemy or ally. This would reduce cavalry's "annoying"-ness in battle (charging people midcombat).

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
Re: Cavalry charging
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
In real warfare, one could not just charge his or her horse into whatever he or she pleased without the horse suffering damage.

All I'm proposing is that a horses health is effected when it charges an enemy or ally. This would reduce cavalry's "annoying"-ness in battle (charging people midcombat).
t's quite the opposite, true a horse would never run straight at a person, but it would run sort of half over the person, the horse only had some pressure on it's legs, but nothing too serious, though the person on the other hand, would. if you get run over by a horse, you are probably going to have a broken or brused rib or something, becasue a charging warhorse has some momentum along with it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Jeric

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • k
    • View Profile
  • Faction: k
  • Game nicks: hey
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
When I watch people getting horse charged, I don't see them hitting the sides. I see people getting hit head on. Maybe it could be set so the horse doesn't take damage on a side hit.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:08:07 am »
+1
okay, but then if a 1500lb armored warhorse is charging at someone at 40 miles per hour and they kill it and the horse's corpse flies through them, it should kill them.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:15:42 am »
those same 1500 lb horses are jumping over obstacles like they are made of feather.. is that realistic or balanced?

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:27 am »
those same 1500 lb horses are jumping over obstacles like they are made of feather.. is that realistic or balanced?

Realistic, because horses can jump high as fuck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODxZ5xedkX4

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:22:29 am »
Alright, but running over pikemen should heal your horse for bravery

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »
+1
here are my suggestions against cavalry to make the game more realistic. half of the eu1 server is cavalry and most of these guys are bunch of noobs who charge into every shit they see around regardless of caring about friendly units nearby.

-bumping a lightly armored opponent gives you a damage bonus.

-bumping an heavily armored opponent at high speed damages your horse. except chargers & plated chargers & cataphracts & mameluke horses, these horses' main purpose was shocking enemy lines with their powerful charges. it's really ridiculous to see unarmored palfreys & coursers etc charging into full plate armored infantry and yet not getting a single tear. horses without breast & head armor were rarely used for charging against a line holded by heavy infantry.

-riders get damage when they fall down.

-infantry should be able to drag a rider off his mount without killing the mount, which was a common scene in medieval warfare. we have shitloads of weapons like bill, halberd, voulge etc for this purpose.

-add deployable stakes against cavalry.

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »
+1
In the real world, getting TRAMPLED by a warhorse would kill you, even if you were wearing armor.  If you make horse bumps have a 25% chance of 1-shot kills (representing a hoof landing on a vital organ), then I support having the horses get damaged a bit as well. :)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »
And while we're at it, let's make it so you can easily jump off the horse...in a time of battle it wouldn't take me 2 seconds to get off a horse.  Also you should be able to jump off while the horse is moving.  If it's moving slowly you just "fall to the ground" (takes the normal time to get up as if you were knocked down).  If your horse is moving fast you fall down and take damage. 

The game isn't perfect, and a lot of stems from items not having a permanent, static "value".  A horse dying shouldn't make the carcass flying at you invisible.  A pike that isn't thrusting should still do a lot of damage if someone runs into it (Would be nice if you could brace them in the ground or brace a shield in front of you if you're an archer or crossbowman, or pound a stake or two in front of you if you're an archer or xbow).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:39:27 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tavuk_Bey

• Earl
  • Renown: 409
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player
  • herrroo, my näym iz bokkkseee änd i'm fukken ugry
    • View Profile
  • Faction: bashibazouk, the official jihad clan
  • Game nicks: tavuk
  • IRC nick: Minister of Shitstorm
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:46:51 pm »
In the real world, getting TRAMPLED by a warhorse would kill you, even if you were wearing armor.  If you make horse bumps have a 25% chance of 1-shot kills (representing a hoof landing on a vital organ), then I support having the horses get damaged a bit as well. :)

horses get damaged a bit? well, ride your unarmored horse against a bunch of bracing heavily armored men and see what happens to it. every organic material would get serious damages when crashing into a pile of steel. even the toughest destrier could get injured seriously during a direct charge if it has no head & neck & breast protection.

what i see in c-rpg is lots of retards who charge their cheap and weak ponies into tincans, this is bullshit, only horses like chargers and cataphracts could be able to do this. to prevent this situation, all unarmored horses should get damage when bumping into heavily armored enemies. by doing this, there will be no more coursers, palfreys lurking around like dodgems without getting damage, so they'll be used for their real purposes, horse archery, chasing archers, skirmishing etc. this will force people to ride the right horse for different actions, only wealthy and experienced knights will be able to ride the most powerful chargers. beginners will be forced to act as light cavalry like real squires and also they'll have to protect their mounts by avoiding direct charges against heavy armoured infantry.

and yes, i'm quite butthurr against the current cavalry shitstorm in eu1

roast and roast again until lambs become kebab

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:56 pm »
I think for balance it would work to cause damage to lighter horses depending on what they are charging into.  I honestly don't think the breast of any thoroughbred horse would be injured by bumping into a person in plate.  Maybe bruised, but not seriously injured.  I think the only real chance for injury would be if it was knocking the plated person down and stepped on a piece of the plate and basically broke or sprained an ankle.  The horse is as good as dead at that point.

But honestly just get a fucking pointy stick that rears horses,  Or run in a group of 5 people with at least a couple having pointy sticks...

Formations and teamwork are how you avoid getting dominated by cavalry.  In real life if you have a loosely packed group of infantry, cavalry are going to destroy them.  Why would you expect it to be any different in a game that simulates middle age warfare?

Get a pike wall and the horses are useless.  Although I do wish archers/xbows (or anyone really) could pound some stakes into the ground and stand behind them (or pound a shield into the ground, but that wouldn't really combat horses).  Also it would be nice if you could actually have a real pike wall of pikes braced into the ground, it's pretty lame you have to thrust to stop a horse...the horse running at full speed into a spear would impale itself, you wouldn't have to do anything.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:07:39 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:28 pm »
+2
Horse speed is fixed, riding skill only increases manueverability, only non lance named items can poke on horseback(revert to old poke animation), armor upgrades for all horses available(uses weapon slot), riders have a 10% chance of dismount when hit by anything that does 30% damage to the rider or if horse is reared. Bail out available to rider.

Any of this feasible? Cause it would improve the situation.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:16 pm »
guys stop your rialism discussion,  this game needs ballance, its by far not a realistic simulator . horses atm are very well ballanced imo and im a 2hander not rider. you need teamplay , skill, terrain and battle awareness, once you have these horses are fackin eazy to kill, if u know they are comming , they are eazy to dodge/block/chamber/kill.

the real prob in crpg is ranged accuracy and damage!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:47:44 pm by rufio »

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:13 am »