Author Topic: archery..  (Read 53917 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2936
  • Infamy: 2182
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: archery..
« Reply #900 on: May 09, 2012, 10:44:34 pm »
I think he posted that smiley because everything you wrote are well known facts, which actually do not need to be written down ever again because everyone already knows it. Its like writing that you can block with rmb. But you did a nice job on summarizing again none the less.

Good players are good at everything. Chase is great archer, probably way better than you, for example.

So no, archery doesn't take more skill than melee. It's just that some archers are terrible at melee so they think that. Bagge for example is good at everything.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #901 on: May 09, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
I play archer don't find it all that difficult.

:rolleyes: was not an argument, if you can figure out what it is, then your intelligence level is low and you must be a terrible archer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #902 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:43 pm »
Actually I dont care anymore what "arguments" people come up with here. I just wanted to get some fresh air in this thread. It is embedded in my daily portion of amusement.

I do however agree with Siberian_Wolf for the most part.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #903 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:07 pm »
+3
And I think melee has other sets of skills you need to have, especially regarding who to hit with which attack, trying to stay within your range of your weapon while either outranging the enemy or avoiding to be outranged, placemenet is pretty important.

Offline Siberian_Wolf

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: UncountedSauce
« Reply #904 on: May 10, 2012, 01:02:26 am »
Good players are good at everything. Chase is great archer, probably way better than you, for example.

So no, archery doesn't take more skill than melee. It's just that some archers are terrible at melee so they think that. Bagge for example is good at everything.

I beg to see where I wrote one takes more skill then the other.

I said there are:

Different circumstances
Different intelligent requirements

I'll say it again, pressing block + attack doesn't require much intelligence, just muscle memory + intuition.
Putting into account of placement, release time, arrow drop, enemy direction* (not speed) and all that, requires intelligence.

Funny how you just prove my point by ignorantly putting text together in an answer to a post that is far from what you thought it was. Go back and read it again.
Even the brightest of stars fade in time...

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:07 am »
Using the right attack for the right situation, seeing if you're properly placed to do an effective attack, using speed bonus to your advantage, knowing how long is your window to do damage.

But yeah hur dur I am melee player huuuur can't play archer uheuheuhe.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #906 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:23 am »
Huehuehue

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:36 am »
Same old skill discussion eh? It's not so much about skill as it is about build, you people should know by now(but genneraly dont care) that archers are inherently bad in melee. A guy has to be 2 or 3 times a better fighter to kill an average meleer, thats why we often end up dieing like retards.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 10, 2012, 01:09:41 am »
Same old skill discussion eh? It's not so much about skill as it is about build, you people should know by now(but genneraly dont care) that archers are inherently bad in melee. A guy has to be 2 or 3 times a better fighter to kill an average meleer, thats why we often end up dieing like retards. running and gunning, leaving no chance to the melee player most of the time.

FTFY

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:07 am »
Well, I do it the other way, running is boring.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32:15 am »
Well props to you then.

And I am serious.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 564
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 10, 2012, 01:50:44 am »
Same old skill discussion eh? It's not so much about skill as it is about build, you people should know by now(but genneraly dont care) that archers are inherently bad in melee. A guy has to be 2 or 3 times a better fighter to kill an average meleer, thats why we often end up dieing like retards.

I have few ideas how to fix that issue but Paul isn't listening to me.

Offline Pappus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 10, 2012, 08:27:12 am »
I have two options in mind to rebalance archers:

1)

Reduce the movement speed of archers by 50%.
The reasoning is to put an stop to prolonged, turn around, shoot, run, shoot. Or swiftly dodging cavalry couches. By allowing them that kind of movement speed you leave them without a counter.

A shielder is not a counter, because due to the shield he is likely to not catch up for a very long time. Hell I even have problems catching up with medium armor, no shield and 8 athletics.

2)

Decrease their dmg below a certain amount of meters by huge degree. At least 80%. I prefer this method, because it actually increase the usefulness of cavalry. It is simply idiotic to charge on the back of an archer just for him to realize it like 5m away turn around headshot your horse and demount you in a single blow, which is true for coursers and rounces and if he can aim for the legs a couple of the warhorses will be in severe danger aswell. I realize people hate the idea of buffing cavalry, but they actually dont have a role other then striking unaware people, bumping into dueling ones or attacking other lancers/1h cav - certainly not HA's. This is why I like idea 2  more, because it also stops an end to HA nonsense e.g. bumping a shielder and then shoot or running away from other cav for as long as it takes to get two shots out to drop the enemy horse.

However it also helps 2h guys to get the kill done, archers can still run and run and run, but at least they have to get to the threshold to do any reasonable amount of dmg.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #913 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:42 am »
+1
Interesting ideas Pappus. We could also hand out wheelchairs to archers but with an automatic brake so they can kite downhill which would be unfair.

Also, only melee damage profits from the armor ignore on hitting horse legs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:37:05 am by Paul »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:44 am »
I have two options in mind to rebalance archers:

1)

Reduce the movement speed of archers by 50%.
The reasoning is to put an stop to prolonged, turn around, shoot, run, shoot. Or swiftly dodging cavalry couches. By allowing them that kind of movement speed you leave them without a counter.

A shielder is not a counter, because due to the shield he is likely to not catch up for a very long time. Hell I even have problems catching up with medium armor, no shield and 8 athletics.

2)

Decrease their dmg below a certain amount of meters by huge degree. At least 80%. I prefer this method, because it actually increase the usefulness of cavalry. It is simply idiotic to charge on the back of an archer just for him to realize it like 5m away turn around headshot your horse and demount you in a single blow, which is true for coursers and rounces and if he can aim for the legs a couple of the warhorses will be in severe danger aswell. I realize people hate the idea of buffing cavalry, but they actually dont have a role other then striking unaware people, bumping into dueling ones or attacking other lancers/1h cav - certainly not HA's. This is why I like idea 2  more, because it also stops an end to HA nonsense e.g. bumping a shielder and then shoot or running away from other cav for as long as it takes to get two shots out to drop the enemy horse.

However it also helps 2h guys to get the kill done, archers can still run and run and run, but at least they have to get to the threshold to do any reasonable amount of dmg.
Why don't we just remove every item from the game but only leave twohanded greatswords and light/heavy kuyak?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D