Author Topic: archery..  (Read 53291 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 382
  • Infamy: 1321
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: archery..
« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:08 pm »
I think that accuracy and damage archers deal should be limited, somewhat standardized. That way they could be encouraged to put points in melee. Also archers should be able to use fast two handed swords like Longsword, HBS and Katana. Make them one slot.

1) Machine gun, two stacks of arrows and a longsword/katana/hbs or any one handed weapon or
2) Stronger bow, one stack of arrows and longsword/katana/hbs or any one handed weapon or
3) Stronger bow, two stacks of arrows and zero slot weapons

I'm not huge fan of min-maxing and extreme builds. I do believe that we should be put into fixed classes with predefined stats and skills.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2974
  • Infamy: 2545
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:10 pm »
Stamina would ruin game for shielders, spammers

They could buff shielders afterwords.

About spammers... they can die in a fire.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »
That way they could be encouraged to put points in melee.
This would probably just encourage me to make as specialized of an archer build as possible to be honest.
Part of the problem is Strategus, in that it encourages specific role characters, unlike battle servers where "I can also do something else" characters shine (because there is no coordinated TS or strategy, and usually a giant clusterfuck).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2951
  • Infamy: 887
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:29 pm »
+1
Yeah Strat...

Strat should have it's own rules imho but that's probably too much work for devs.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:36 pm »
That's a load of bull tears, and you know it.

Being a runner is so much more effective than staying and fighting, and I wholeheartedly agree that archers should be better in melee.

But to be fair, the problem has a lot to do with the min-maxing, which on the other hand is just not mentality but also a product of the slot system/the fact that having melee capabilities as an archer is fairly useless, especially if you suck.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:23 pm »
That's a load of bull tears, and you know it.

Nope. I'm too scatterbrained, sorry.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »
+3
I said before but again I find it ironic people are suggesting archers gain more ability to perform in melee, when the slot/sheathing system was a key nerf to the melee abilities of archers, partly brought about because people were complaining that an archer could bust out a bigass sword while still being effective at ranged.

I understand the idea behind suggesting archers get more melee abilities - less incentive to run - but in reality what is going to happen is twofold:

- archers will continue to do what gives them the best chance at success, ie shoot first melee second.  Running will still occur in many situations if the archer has low powerstrike/armor and runs into a tincan.

- players will continue to whine, because now they will call archers OP due to their effectiveness at range and in melee.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:21 pm »
I said before but again I find it ironic people are suggesting archers gain more ability to perform in melee, when the slot/sheathing system was a key nerf to the melee abilities of archers, partly brought about because people were complaining that an archer could bust out a bigass sword while still being effective at ranged.

I understand the idea behind suggesting archers get more melee abilities - less incentive to run - but in reality what is going to happen is twofold:

- archers will continue to do what gives them the best chance at success, ie shoot first melee second.  Running will still occur in many situations if the archer has low powerstrike/armor and runs into a tincan.

- players will continue to whine, because now they will call archers OP due to their effectiveness at range and in melee.

We would of course want increaed melee capability to come with massive nerfs to kiting and smaller nerfs to ranged attacks.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2012, 06:52:42 pm »

This honestly does irritate me. I remember the forums full of constant whine over archers being able to melee, and people mixing up Pure Archers with Hybrids and thinking that everyone could shoot as fine as a Pure and melee as well as the PS-heavy hybrids at the same time...

I actually had a sizeable amount of PS, held my ground when approached, and used a Miaodao before the endless whining caused melee to be nerfed from archers due to the slot system. Now I am 100% pure, and happy.

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »
This honestly does irritate me. I remember the forums full of constant whine over archers being able to melee, and people mixing up Pure Archers with Hybrids and thinking that everyone could shoot as fine as a Pure and melee as well as the PS-heavy hybrids at the same time...

I actually had a sizeable amount of PS, held my ground when approached, and used a Miaodao before the endless whining caused melee to be nerfed from archers due to the slot system. Now I am 100% pure, and happy.

I can agree to this for the most part. I'm tired of having to change how I play archer every major patch and adapt to a new style. Archery more then any play style has been changed the most.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:37 pm »
+2

Yep yep.

"Archers shouldn't be able to stand and fight! Take their weapons away!"
"Now stand and fight you cowards!"
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2379
  • Infamy: 1909
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:02 pm »

I wasn't playing when that happened. I did however whine about archer's melee prowess but at that time I was still noobish (like 14 months ago).

Main problem is that devs look at us like we're nothing but numbers. Twenty idiots come on forums and start lobbying for something and for devs that's exactly the same if twenty experienced players who understand how game works suggested some changes to game mechanic. I do understand why things work like that but that doesn't make it right.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »
Yep yep.

"Archers shouldn't be able to stand and fight! Take their weapons away!"
"Now stand and fight you cowards!"
Also game needs new maps! *cool interesting new maps added* 'downvote this shit new map so we can play the same old boring map over and over again!'*

Here's a melee /archer build:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 57

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 2
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 3
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 6
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 101
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 146
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
only prob is that with hybrid archers i still get kited, but then the archer can unexpectedley turn arround and 1shot me with a timed headslash,, ofc you can say, well you should block then, but somewhere in my heart i think its unfair, not unballanced

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2012, 08:27:07 pm »
Maybe the problem relies in players only. Back when Tenne used to play here a lot, he was the only one who stood and fought with a sword, unlike all other archers, who just flee until they can shoot again. It's a pathetic playstyle, but still deadly...