Author Topic: CLASSIFIED Beyond Top Secret. The Ping Burst Weapon  (Read 2642 times)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: CLASSIFIED Beyond Top Secret. The Ping Burst Weapon
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »
+2
I've definitely had instances where people will randomly lag against me in duel.  Like, they'll be fine, then they try to duel me and their ping shoots up.

I always attributed it to my mustache, but maybe all this netcode talk makes more sense.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »
I'm not sure that ping as we see it listed is really ping... when I play cRPG, I get ping about 45-55 usually, which is what I'd expect with the server in Germany and me in England. However, when I try playing Native on a German server, ping sometimes drops to an impossibly low 25-30, and when this happens I seem to experience lag...

The more someone gets ridiculed for suggesting a cheat exists, the more I get suspicious that people are cheating. Back when I posted about the autblock cheat, I would have been reassured by the explanations if it weren't for the trolls calling me a tin-foil hat crackhead nutbag... and lo and behold, it turned out people were indeed using an autoblock cheat. I don't know how all this works, but I do know that there used to be a game called Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption I played about 10 years ago and there was a speed hack in use for multiplayer games. I don't know about all this ping business - other than that Frank the Tank is talking a load of shit as usual - but I'd be very surprised if people weren't cheating in various ways right now.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »
The game just generally have more FPS/lag issue when you have players close to you.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »
Original poster sounds like Farmer Nate
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Renten

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:20 pm »
Even with my normally low 18-20 ping I experience random spikes in the duel server a ton. Honestly though I expect it has more to do with when the textures switch from their far away quality to nearby quality than with some one magically making your ping spike. Normally I run around with 80-100 fps, but some pieces of armor coming into view will take me down to the high 60s low 70s along with a slight spike in my ping (probably caused by the fps drop). I believe it is because they don't have the proper distant texture. This can kill me though, for example: I'll be fighting someone when some people come closer and my fps drops as their texture qualities switch, and delays my swing input letting them get one in. There's a mod out there that fixes the distant texture issues, but it never quite gets rid of the small loading spike.

On the duel server this would be happening all the time seeing as people respawn all over the place and run back to the main fighting spot.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:44:21 pm »
+1
Original poster sounds like Farmer Nate

Nah, OP doesn't use nearly enough caps, and every other word isn't a curse word.

Offline Raven_Joy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 11:25:40 pm »
My spouse and I have experienced this phenomena too, we call it "lag aura".
Besides all other known causes of lag, some people seem like having a lag aura while others don't.

The most reasonable explanation is:
I believe it is because they don't have the proper distant texture. This can kill me though, for example: I'll be fighting someone when some people come closer and my fps drops as their texture qualities switch, and delays my swing input letting them get one in.

Anyways, I try to ignore it as well as other "bullshit!" incidents in order to keep my sanity...

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:25 pm »
Actually, people can use lag switches, and that's very easy to use. But I'm not sure it helps to make yourself lagging in order to kill others. Apart from that, any network-related cheat seems hardly doable. This is in no way comparable to the degree of "undoability" of an autoblock cheat.

However, as someone who had one digit stable pings on the pecores server for a very long time, I really notice the difference with 30-ish ping, which I would objectively consider very good. I hate 30-ish ping compared to lower because even though all your actions are near-instant, the game sorts of prioritize players by latency (either explicitly or naturally, it doesn't really matter). Maneuvering around enemies (getting in their back, being able to "push" and not being pushed yourself...) are very different when you have higher ping than them. And "very different" means that "high" pingers (that is, higher than the opponent) will be pushed away, have their movements roll-back a little, be confronted with enemies that seem to be impassable concrete walls, and be unable to "block" the enemy's movements in the same way (soap effect).

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:38 am »

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:18 am »
I wouldn't make quite as much fun of the idea as Frank did.  IF there is any peer-to-peer communication, it shouldn't be that hard to decipher it enough to tell which IP address represents which player.  Throw in a little aimbot code and you may be able to ping spike the player you are looking at (or the nearest enemy) and only him.

That said, I would be surprised if this game did any peer-to-peer stuff.  If it's all client-server then you shouldn't be getting anything directly from other players and would have no idea what their IP address is.

THAT said, there have been bugs in other games where doing something in the game lags people out or crashes clients.  Like they forgot to check the receive buffer and if you sent them a tell with 500 characters in it, their client would crash.  Some people make hobbies out of looking for these sorts of bugs.

But "it's something in the netcode that just sucks sometimes" is still the most likely explanation.  I'm just saying that the notion of "hax" is not very lolworthy considering the entire PC gaming market is damn near crippled by them.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 02:57:31 am »
Time Warner uses this weapon on me all the time.  Ban Time Warner.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Exitialis

• Baron
  • Renown: 93
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 01:38:47 pm »
Thanks all for your answers!

It's not a hack, it's a technique that requires you to perform a specific combination of moves. It's very complex and situational, but certain players have mastered it and are able to use it at their advantage. It's also very risky: a single mistake will render you unable to block until you die. It's called Za Pinguspaiku.
I bet this is it, I knew it! I'm going to enter dual server and train on blocking this technique right away, I think I may already have found a solution:

In combat and when you start noticing a lag spike, quickly press Right Mouse Button for block, then hold S to walk backwards, then press T to open a chat window, this will allow you to walk backwards and blocking at the same time, rendering any lag weapon against you nearly useless. Then press esc quickly and enter options menu, decrease all graphics to minimum and return to finish the lag bursting little piece of shit off.
This method should be a proper block.

Another is to quickly press Alt-X then start C-rpg Launcher, enter the warband launcher and then go into the options menu, and enable dx7, make sure all graphical options is set to med-high for visual beauty.
This method will also successfully block the lag burst technique.

You could also try this: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,25836.0.html

BTW Frank is just mad because I kill him all the time :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:41:37 pm by Exitialis »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:28:10 pm »
It's not a hack, it's a technique that requires you to perform a specific combination of moves. It's very complex and situational, but certain players have mastered it and are able to use it at their advantage. It's also very risky: a single mistake will render you unable to block until you die. It's called Za Pinguspaiku.
I bet this is it, I knew it! I'm going to enter dual server and train on blocking this technique right away, I think I may already have found a solution:

God damnit cmp...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 08:43:17 pm »
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:44 pm »
TS i have been experienced same problem during weekend. (everything seem smooth until i engaged enemy - also while quick turning char around).
There werent lags because of players count, i spent most time on duel server with only few people.
It looked like a little lags or big fps drops for me, but in reality fps was ok and my ping stable 20-30.
I was fighting with this problems for 2 days, now its ok, but hard to say why, I changed everything on my settings (turn off/on load texture on demand, lowering graphics, changed mouse sensitivity).