Author Topic: Dear devs...  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Dear devs...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:36:56 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

May be I will read it later, when i am back from work...

+1 for the effort though
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:58 am »
+1
Yesterday me and 4 guys of meciless had somewhat called teamwork.
We decided to keep against an wall with our backs with some shieldwall and let an xbow and archer shoot.
And we went on a hill on the cav map, Thing is we LOST almost every fight.
BECAUSE we had 5 merciless working together 11 randomers, the 11 randomers just went to charge in to plain ground ground and got cav fucked.
Then we needed to kill 18 enemys by the 5 of us because teammates dont listen to tactics and just charge and die.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:24 am »
mh, I read it all and it makes mostly no sense to me.

"Do you want to reward players for good skills? Or for good teamplay? Or both? In which relation? How far do you want to incorporate those "indifferent casual" players?"

Of course they want both, and why should be necessary to exactly determine in which relationship? And how do you want to measure that, in abstract figures? and why again?

APP and BPP paragraph makes no sence to me and has if at all only a little influence on game balance. IMO most people run ahead like lemmings because it is simply impossible to control such an amount of individuals. We live (mostly in western "abendland" world) in an extremely individualised world, everyone thinks of himself first. You won't get people to change their behaviour continiusly except you implement a strict military education before letting people play and you'd need a strict military-like hierarchy.
And then again, suddenly you have this rare moments where all work as team, like a miracle. But you can't produce that outside of groups like clans or set events.

1. Introduction pages, why not? You seem fond of writing. :P

2. commander system, this is interesting and was thought about several times from devs as i recall, but brrak has a point there, too.

3. replace battle. cough, no. the whole fun fore me is that you do not respawn, that is what makes this game fun for me. I would even like to see a similar siege mode, where perhaps attackers respawn once and defenders have only one live. Not sure it would work, though.

But after all, you are the guy who said you allways read the last pages of a book first to see if it won't dissapoint you, no? well, that is good example where I see how extremely different we two think, and what fun means for each of us.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:55:29 am by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline MR_FISTA

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Prepare your angus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoW
  • Game nicks: SoW_MR_FISTA_the_Retribution
  • IRC nick: SoW_MR_FISTA
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 10:52:44 am »

Offline Lobster

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Lobster
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
Great OP.

The commander mode sounds like fun. Dont have to replace battle mode just make a new server with the commander mode, that way you only get players joining who want to try out team work.

You can reward players for listening to orders by giving them a x1 every time and flag is captured or defended. for those who are into team play, this mode can be alot of fun and would  bring more players into crpg.

I agree with Jokey on the new player info, this mod is very hard for new guys to get into. Not everyone would read it but for those who do will find the path into crpg alot kinder.
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline Tonyukuk

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MikariN
  • IRC nick: MikariN
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:51 pm »
Joker why your posts are always toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  long? what is your problem?
Unreal:
Essay ban, 800 words on: "Accepting defeat and learning from it"

GEEKİLLER:only 2 words: "Fuck You!"

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »
+1

"Do you want to reward players for good skills? Or for good teamplay? Or both? In which relation? How far do you want to incorporate those "indifferent casual" players?"

Of course they want both

No, you shouldn't assume they want both (even if they do.)
Thing is, most melee players prize their fucking duel skillz (1vs1) more than anything else, and the majority of the players are melee.
Ergo, most people in this mod do not value teamplay anywhere near as much as individual skill.

I have no idea what each dev's stance is, but you certainly shouldn't assume they want both equally.
The OP is a fair quesiton.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »
+3
Back from work, and besides a few obligatory tl;dr-posts there are some serious answers, so let's get started  :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

This is absolutely terrifying, what you are telling me there, if you really have more than only "a few" idiots who delete/STF their mains and so on. But you said yourself, people are used to small windows popping up, making them confirm their decision. Never mind if you want to close a browser window with a few tabs, quit your game or overwrite an old file. Placing some kind of warning sign on the pop up window could already help a bit.

One important point of my suggestion is the fact that before you try to download a mod you have to decide whether you want to try it out or not. People want to know if it is interesting for them or not, and this is the point where you have their full attention. I don't want to real long walls of text just to find out if something suits me, eventually... perhaps..., and I know of a few single player mods that started their presentation by listing up the history of the various factions, and of course I skipped that, too. What I usually read is the feature list, and by the features implemented I can see what kind of mod it is supposed to be, and thus I can decide if I like it or not.

If you would have a description page for newcommers, that would start like:

What is cRPG?

cRPG is a multiplayer mod which focuses on porting single player to multiplayer as good as possible, complete with organized battles and personal character development.

What are the main features?

- A system to support organized battles with real units and real maneuvers
- Equipent you can buy and use as long as you want
- A constant character with your own choice of skills and attributes, that develops constinuously and becomes stronger
- Plated Charger

I guess more or less EVERYBODY who wants to try out this mod will read those few lines. And thus the chance is higher to get influenced by them.

Don't get me wrong: I don't expect this measure to FIX the problem of lemmings, but I am confident it will help to reduce their amount.

Couldn't you also argue that, as infantry is probably the most populated class, the APP is lower, in part, due to turnover?

I am as sure as hell that the absolute number of infantry player with an insufficient APP is higher than compared to other classes, due to the amount of melee on the servers, so we agree on that. But I would even dare to say, that the PERCENTAGE is higher. Or, to say it differently: infantry is a class which depends more on teamplay than let's say cavalry for example. Due to the self centered point of view of most players these flaws aren't as obvious in the case of cavalry as they are in the case of infantry.

1) This solution could be tried, but you can't necessarily shove the philosophy down a new player's throat.  At best, a new player will come out enlightened and a new member of the holy order of cRPG.  At worst, this new player will feel restricted as to his or her goals, and either quit or just be trollish and assholey.

I don't think this will be much of a problem if you make clear from the beginning that this is the wrong mod for persons who want to have their own one-man-show. (Although currently it is the PERFECT mod for them  :rolleyes:). If he didn't invest any time playing it before recognizing this mod doesn't suit him, there is no motivation for him to be assholey or trolly.

2) [...] In my own, personal opinion, a commander system should only have the benefit of possibly (assuming you get a good commander) leading you to easily multipliers.

We actually agree on that. The part with the rewards was only meant to convince players who already have different habits to using the command system, too. I already suggested a complete command system in this forum, and there I mentioned that I would remove the rewards after some time. The hope is to have most players not only being used to using tactics, but also to make them REALIZE it's the ONLY way to keep up a high multiplier constantly. 

3) [...] I got a little lost and confused at "Another nice side effect is, that you actually don't want to kill too many enemies before attempting to take one of their flags, otherwise you will conquer it with only a few spawn points left."  This, for me, raises the question: why should the team be penalized for taking the time to eradicate the active resistance to it?

The idea behind my statement above was the following: if your team prepares a squad to conquer a certain flag (which should be no problem to coordinate with the help of a commander system  :wink: ), and they decide to attack (which means they are confident they will win) it would be the smartest to kill not too many enemies before having captured the flag. So killing peasants who throw stones, lonely Ninjas at the flanks or enemies who retreat due to the enemy superiority wouldn't help you much, before you captured that flag. Otherwise some of these spawn effectively will be taken from YOUR spawn pool, instead of the enemies, who will lose the flag and the spawn points anyway. You get what I mean?

Enemy has two flags and 40 spawns left. You have one flag and 20 spawns left. While charging one flag you kill two harmless peasants, one ninja, one dismounted cavalryman and two players who are retreating from the flag, which are 6 kills in total that were no really neccessary. Enemy loses 6 spawns, and THEN you conquer the flag and get it with 17 spawn points left, which means you have 37, the enemy has 17 spawn points left. Now assume you waited until the flag was taken, and THEN you killed what you could. Let's say two of the enemies would be able to escape during that time, so you would only kill 4 of them. You would have 40 spawn points left, the enemy 16. Better than before.

(click to show/hide)

This is sad, but it's not the fault of using teamplay. Actually it's NOT using teamplay, that made your team lose.

Of course they want both, and why should be necessary to exactly determine in which relationship? And how do you want to measure that, in abstract figures? and why again?

I think my question is valid, because the developers did almost NOTHING to make teamplay and coordination easier for the players, besides of that crappy voice message system that's nothing but annoying. And you have really a lot of words at disposal to describe the relation, you can even use rough percentage values.

APP and BPP paragraph makes no sence to me and has if at all only a little influence on game balance. IMO most people run ahead like lemmings because it is simply impossible to control such an amount of individuals. We live (mostly in western "abendland" world) in an extremely individualised world, everyone thinks of himself first. You won't get people to change their behaviour continiusly except you implement a strict military education before letting people play and you'd need a strict military-like hierarchy.
And then again, suddenly you have this rare moments where all work as team, like a miracle. But you can't produce that outside of groups like clans or set events.

I think you are wrong on this one.

First of all APP and BPP have ENORMOUS impact on class balance on the servers. For example someone else posted here, that it's an old rule in strategy games that the effectivity of ranged units grows EXPONENTIALLY if you concentrate them at one spot. So if archers know this, and always group up as good as possible, the balance between archers and infantry shifts.

I agree on your opinion that it's the modern way of life to be egocentric, but this doesn't mean people won't help each other out. If people realize they will benefit from helping others, you can be sure as hell they will turn to Mother Theresa herself! The only point is to make them realize it. This is why I want to use small rewards for following orders as kind of "bait" for those players who are too lazy to think about it, making them either create the habit of playing in a team or, even better, recognize the advantages it brings.

Joker why your posts are always toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  long? what is your problem?

I have a weird quirk - I always have to try to fit my posts to the length of my cock. God help you if I ever write a post while having a boner.  :?

Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:20 pm »
I get your point Joker, and I've told you this many times before but for the love of god just join a clan and/or play strategus!

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 08:18:53 pm »
I get your point Joker, and I've told you this many times before but for the love of god just join a clan and/or play strategus!

I can't tell when I am on (so no strategus), I can't use Teamspeak (so no clan) and anyway, I want my entire team to play as a whole, always forming a small squad with my clan members and doing our own thing doesn't satisfy me. So this is not a valid answer.

If I join a clan people on the servers won't magically focus on teamplay more.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 08:27:15 pm »
I can't tell when I am on (so no strategus), I can't use Teamspeak (so no clan) and anyway, I want my entire team to play as a whole, always forming a small squad with my clan members and doing our own thing doesn't satisfy me. So this is not a valid answer.

If I join a clan people on the servers won't magically focus on teamplay more.

1. You can just join strategus battles. If you are an able player there are always a couple of battles per evening where you can merc. Even more if you're not aligned with any factions.

2. If you don't have any sound on your computer, I can understand that TS might seem a bit cumbersome, but if my guess is right all you're lacking is a mic, which is definitively not necessary if you're mercing or just taking orders.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Garem

• Count
  • Renown: 268
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • The Black Company forums
  • Faction: The Black Company
  • Game nicks: Garem_BlackCompany
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »
Good comments on cRPG balance. I think Part 2 is particularly good.
The Black Company's Strategus Trainer
http://forum.melee.org/faction-halls/black-company-recruiting-na/
Forums: http://nadeathsquad.freeforums.org/
Formerly of the Fallen Brigade, Homeys4Lyfe

Offline CpTKiL

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 12:47:18 am »
It is possibly heirloom might be huge problem when it's comes to balance. Why? Think about 3+ vs vanilla weapons (In other words, no heirloom) for example, both character has same exact skills say like 18/18 and their combat skills are same. They are both good blocking and counter-attack ect..... However, The one with heirloom has the upper hands and most likely will win the duel. I think Heirloom need a little nerf. Say removing heirloom speed bonus(+1 speed) will make huge difference and will most likely be balance with every other vanilla weapons. Just one advantage that heirloom has which is damages bonus and that's all they need.

Now that's just weapons balance. Let's talk about teamwork.

In order for people to do their teamwork. There must be something that encourage them to do some teamwork. Remember good old CRPG classic? The exp system really encourages players to do teamwork. But now we have this new exp system which encourages everyone including myself to go off and rambo. We could have one commander per team but who would listen? Majority of players are already a veteran which means they are pro and has very good blocking skills or Some just think they're good and think they are good as Aragorn. Only time people actually listens is when their team is losing or their opponents is unbeatable. Even when they listen their will be few people goes off and rambo. That happens all the time.

My suggestion to Developers is
1. Bring back old CRPG Exp system with some improvement.
or
2. Make a player as commander which I have huge doubt this will work.
or
3. Give bonus for being around the commander which will encourage players to do some teamwork such as giving small damage boost and HP boost.
or
4. Officially make a rule that anyone goes off RAMBO will be slay/kicked and must be within group of players

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:59 am »
+4
4. Officially make a rule that anyone goes off RAMBO will be slay/kicked and must be within group of players

Mod dead.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:54 am »
A thread by a Joker, i was expecting something funny :(

Well, okay, i'll give you that, excessively long posts are funny in a way... :)