Author Topic: Lolstab range  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Lolstab range
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 07:10:46 pm »
so you think it is a good idea that the 123 length sword outranges my 153 length polearm and with it's super-fast stab one-hits my 15 str with 38 armor?

You'll have to provide more proof than your word for this, though.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:02 pm »
You'll have to provide more proof than your word for this, though.

i will take some screenshots soon i think, but i need 3 players to do it properly.
The easiest way to convince you would be by doing it with yourself :D

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:41 pm »
Well to me it seems that the stab attack is by far the best attack option for most twohanders and especially those that use german greatsword, which is a great part of the 2h because of its good stab. It is fast, long ranged, very good against armor and taken from my personal experience the average player sucks most at blocking stabs. Thats why this attack is overpowered, not the weapon compared to polearms, but the stab compared to the other attacks. In my opinion either range or damage should be reduced and damage on swings should be increased. This way the weapon keeps its quality only distributed better among its available attacks.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2011, 07:51:52 pm »
Well to me it seems that the stab attack is by far the best attack option for most twohanders and especially those that use german greatsword, which is a great part of the 2h because of its good stab. It is fast, long ranged, very good against armor and taken from my personal experience the average player sucks most at blocking stabs. Thats why this attack is overpowered, not the weapon compared to polearms, but the stab compared to the other attacks. In my opinion either range or damage should be reduced and damage on swings should be increased. This way the weapon keeps its quality only distributed better among its available attacks.

i agree, but i wonder how much swing dmg the 2H community would want in exchange for.. lets say 20 stab range?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

How is that a problem? For swords stab is the best attack, so what? For 1h left swing is the best attack. For pikes it's thrust. For crushthrough weapons it's overhead. For Flamberge it's right swing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:59:37 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:27 pm »
so you think it is a good idea that the 123 length sword outranges my 153 length polearm and with it's super-fast stab one-hits my 15 str with 38 armor?

To be perfectly honest, when I had a 7 PS polearmer I'd onehit that with a swing from my MW glaive, 15 str with 38 armour is paperthin - you shouldn't be complaining about it.

Old 2h stab was broken because it killed plated people outright with MW weapons, now it's balanced. Sure people with heirloomed swords hurt a lot, but they don't oneshot me in (quality) mail bar a more str-oriented build or massive speed bonus.

And I have to agree with Xant, for twohanders the stab is their most devastating attack, I don't see the problem with them having a "strong" side, polearms have them too.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:58:36 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2011, 07:59:47 pm »
well, first of all, i don't say thrust shouldnt be the best sword attack, i just say that right now it's too good compared to the other attacks, especially because 2H is supposed to be a balanced weapon.

and bruce; i know :D

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
Yeah, thrust with MW german great sword and 7 PS doesn't one hit people unless they run into it with their face, meaning I get both speed bonus from me moving forward and them moving towards me.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2011, 12:19:52 am »
Polearms in general are too short and too fast. They should be longer, slower and do more pierce damage. What is the difference between an LHB and a 2h sword? One has better swings, the other better thrust (but it should actually be the other way around), but overall they play almost the same. If you must have polearms that feel like 2h swords, at least buff the ones without swings a bit. The same pierce damage as a sword is just not right.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 12:20:29 am »
I've just been on the duel server and i noticed, that the lolstab outranges all the attacks i can perform with my long hafted blade... by far.
I dont see why a 123 length weapon should outrange a 153 weapon by far, even though it is a sword... it just doesnt make sense to me.
Therefore i think that this should be fixed.

Here's why:

A two handed sword is held at one end of the weapon, with your hands either close together or less than a foot apart. When you a stab lunge, you get nearly the entire length of the weapon in extension. You lose just the near bit where your hands are holding it and you can extend fully in front of you.

A polearm is held with one hand back a foot or so from rear of the weapon, and the other hand about 3 feet or more from the end of the weapon. When you thrust with it, you are turned sideways. Try doing that and you will see that your rear hand will extend less than a foot past your front shoulder.

So yes, a "shorter" 2 hand sword when thrust will exceed the range of a polearm due to the way you hold, thrus,t and swing the polearm.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:22:12 am by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:04 am »
Polearms in general are too short and too fast. They should be longer, slower and do more pierce damage. What is the difference between an LHB and a 2h sword? One has better swings, the other better thrust (but it should actually be the other way around), but overall they play almost the same. If you must have polearms that feel like 2h swords, at least buff the ones without swings a bit. The same pierce damage as a sword is just not right.

Hmm, have to say that I don't really agree.

Battle Fork   3150   
weight 1.75
requirement 8
spd rtng 92
weapon length 142
swing damage 21, pierce
thrust damage 32 pierce

3150 gold voor a 32 pierce polearm with 92 speed and 142 length AND the ability to use it with shield with no penalties.

I really don't see the problem.

And where do people get the idea that 2h swords were bad at thrusting? Sure a spear or a pike was specifically designed for the task, but so were some of the swords back in the day. 2 meters of sharp, pointy steel to the chest is dangerous whether it's a awlpike or a 2h sword.

I'd also disagree with LHB and 2h swords playing the same. One is completely focused on slashes with a weak stab, the other has a good stab with average slashes.

If anything needs to balancing it's actually the LHB and long maces. They have far to much speed for their price, length and damage.

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:11 am »
Masterwork Danish Greatsword
weight 2.5
requirement 14
spd rtng 94
weapon length 124
swing damage 45, cut
thrust damage 30 pierce
Can't use on horseback
Secondary Mode

lol took me to get to MW before i got the same lolstabbing power as the german

but the extra 1cm length and +2 speed over the german means i would pwn your LHB, i  think

DON'T NERF LOLSTAB, LOLSTAB FTW. NERF LHB AND LHSM

on an unrealted point, this is gay:

Two Handed   155   [10 WPF cost]

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 07:56:47 am »
Here's why:

A two handed sword is held at one end of the weapon, with your hands either close together or less than a foot apart. When you a stab lunge, you get nearly the entire length of the weapon in extension. You lose just the near bit where your hands are holding it and you can extend fully in front of you.

A polearm is held with one hand back a foot or so from rear of the weapon, and the other hand about 3 feet or more from the end of the weapon. When you thrust with it, you are turned sideways. Try doing that and you will see that your rear hand will extend less than a foot past your front shoulder.

So yes, a "shorter" 2 hand sword when thrust will exceed the range of a polearm due to the way you hold, thrus,t and swing the polearm.

1. realism isnt an argument in CRPG
2. in that case, the polearm thrust would have much more power, and therefore gonig much more damage (instead of the other way around as it is now)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:32 am »
Either way, LHB needs to cost more.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 09:37:57 am »
well, first of all, i don't say thrust shouldnt be the best sword attack, i just say that right now it's too good compared to the other attacks

Wut... you want to change the only advantage 2h swords have against say 1h/shield or polearm.