Poll

Give Spear back it's horse rearing capabilities?

Yes.
50 (71.4%)
No.
13 (18.6%)
Yes, but only with a shield.
7 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Give Spear back horse-rearing ability  (Read 3256 times)

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
Re: Give Spear back horse-rearing ability
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 09:45:51 pm »
  • You do a stab with a polearm that can rear horse.
  • You actually do some damage.
  • You hit the head of the horse (part of the neck works too, even from the side)
There is NO random chance about horse rearing! No magical roll of the die or anything. If you meet the criteria, you rear the horse.

The attack doesn't actually even have to damage the horse, many many many times my horse has been reared by complete glances that do 0 damage from pointblank.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »
+2
They removed it from a lot of polearms. Now it is only selected polearms that can rear horses. Pikes, halberds and war spear can, but not Long Axe, Spear, shortened spear and the maces and the like. I'd make a list, but not right now.

Let me help you. List of polearms that had their rearing ability changed from Native:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »
Let me help you. List of polearms that had their rearing ability changed from Native:

I didn't think this was true, I mean, I definitely thought the regular Spear had horse-rearing abilities in Native. So I just got a buddy of mine to test it out with me on the KoA Native TDM server, and sure enough, the Spear rears there. I used the Sarranid regular Spear as that was the faction available to me and there were others in there, not sure if it's any different from the one the Rhodoks use by the same name, but I don't think so.

So what am I missing? I have honestly stabbed dozens of horses on cRPG, both in battle and in control environments, and the Spear doesn't rear, so it's either not really the same Spear, or it has been altered.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 10:26:01 pm »

Quite impressive list.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:25 pm »
I didn't think this was true

Let me rephrase. List of polearms that don't rear horses:

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 10:43:46 pm »

even the no stabbing pole  :rolleyes:

guess i gonna try mah great lance to stop horsy now!  :D

on a sidenote: I can stop horse with spear like normal people can
maybe you hit the leg of horse, or maybe it's just some crazyness with your comp/ping
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:06 pm »
Ok. Then I take back what I said earlier and ask why some polearms sometimes don't rear horses even if you stab and hit the head.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
@cmpx: Is your rephrasing suggesting that all polearms in cRPG have the ability to rear ponies? I'm sorry, your responses are kind of short so I'm not exactly sure if there's a subtext I'm not understanding.

Just tested this on NA_3 with a friend who was kind enough to help. We managed to get some decent quality fraps with a few jitters of successful rear with War Spear, and failure to rear with Spear and Shortened Spear. They're pretty big files and would take some cutting of unneeded footage (it's my first time ever using a video recording program on a PC so I wasn't even really sure it was recording properly), but I could do it and upload it to Youtube or something if there's an interest. I've been playing Warband since it was released and I like to think I understand how to rear ponies and can do it reliably on War Spear, Pike, as well as with Spear in Native.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:33:26 pm by Malaclypse »

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:46 pm »
The op could be right.
I have tried to test the spears at the battleserver. With the war spear is was no problem, hit a hors at the front and it stopped.
But it never did if i have used a common spear.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:43 pm »
@cmpx: Is your rephrasing suggesting that all polearms in cRPG have the ability to rear ponies? I'm sorry, your responses are kind of short so I'm not exactly sure if there's a subtext I'm not understanding.

Just tested this on NA_3 with a friend who was kind enough to help. We managed to get some decent quality fraps with a few jitters of successful rear with War Spear, and failure to rear with Spear and Shortened Spear. They're pretty big files and would take some cutting of unneeded footage (it's my first time ever using a video recording program on a PC so I wasn't even really sure it was recording properly), but I could do it and upload it to Youtube or something if there's an interest. I've been playing Warband since it was released and I like to think I understand how to rear ponies and can do it reliably on War Spear, Pike, as well as with Spear in Native.
Please upload the video. Would be nice if you edited it, but if that's a problem then just upload it raw.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:37 am »
+2

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I can even give you more details; in order for a horse to be reared, the following must be true:
- the attacker must be unmounted
- the attack must be a thrust
- the attacker's weapon must be of type polearm
- the receiving horse must have a forward speed of at least 4 m/s
- the attacker must be in the front of the horse (120º cone starting from the horse's "center")
- the priority of the animation being currently played by the horse must be less than 74 (riding has a priority of 0, jumping has a priority of 2, etc...)

If all of the above are true, the horse will rear.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 03:39:58 am »
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I can even give you more details; in order for a horse to be reared, the following must be true:
- the attacker must be in the front of the horse (120º cone starting from the horse's "center")
- the priority of the animation being currently played by the horse must be less than 74 (riding has a priority of 0, jumping has a priority of 2, etc...)

Thank you for clearer information cmpx. The only parts I don't fully understand are the meter/second (just not sure how to measure it), and how (or if) an animation played by a horse could ever be more than 74 priority. What comes after the etc?

In battle I've had the chance to attempt a rear on horses of varying speed, and in the video I'll post here I feel like the speed of movement of the horse is nearly identical for the War Spear's successful rear as it was for the Spear attempts. Anyhow it's not especially scientific, and is the best of the first batch of tests I recorded. It's been slightly cut of excess superfluous scenes, and contains 4 separate attempts, the first two with Spear, the third with War Spear, and the fourth with Shortened Spear. I tried to make it clear by setting the items down and hovering over them, though the quality is kind of poor, sorry for that.

Thanks to Septim for helping in those with a STF rider.

We ran some further attempts later but those videos suffered from such horrible recording issues as to be useless, no discerning horse speed at all; just from the experience Winterly and I had, and what others in the duel server were acknowledging, we were unable to rear a Rouncey with Spear, Shortened Spear, and Military Fork. We were successful with War Spear, and also a random Fauchard laying around, as expected. The ponies we tested on were all riding at a moderate speed, fast enough to knock me over in most cases, though in the video you'll see a very slow moving horse get reared successfully by the War Spear, and that was by far our slowest attempt. In the majority of them we just had the rider be a passive third party, not attacking or blocking (though he does block in the second segment of the video above). It could be that we messed up, but it seems unlikely that we would do so dozens of times in a controlled setting. If all polearms are supposed to be able to rear ponies, and weren't intentionally changed, then I guess this could qualify as a bug?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:51:29 am by Malaclypse »

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 03:45:47 am »
+1

That list is going STRAIGHT to the wiki! You really ought to give these lists a bit more often :D Thanks!

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:21 am »
Yeah sucks that spear caught the nerf, man.  Thats what it should be for, anticav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 04:04:53 am »
spears shouldn't rear horses like warhorse due to low damage, i have alot of riding so my horse become much stronger