Author Topic: Two Handed Spam  (Read 18112 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: Two Handed Spam
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 03:13:37 pm »
Honestly myself and many other (2h) players agreed that 2h should have a clear speed advantage over 1h and polearm type weapons but I can see that it is MARGINAL at best. Before many of you 1h players start ranting about this comment, please be aware that you have: superior animations, don't have to manual block = protection from ranged, melee and pikes(RANGEMELEE), better speed and just a tiny bit less damage for all this.

can also block attacks from multiple directions at the same time (which is probably one of the most important advantages of a shields)

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 03:15:01 pm »
Weapon weight differences allow for you to strike back well before a 1h could after you manual block once. If it takes more then 1 swing to die then you have several chances to block once and get a clear chance for attack usually well before a shield can be raised.

Given this information manual blocking also has a clear advantage over shield blocking as well making 2h weapons superiour in every single way. Although shields can block in all directions manual blocking has an advantage in blocking as well making it balanced based on skill.

Congratulations.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:28 pm »
Also 1h animations are the hardest to manual block.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 03:26:34 pm »
I just laughed my ass off yesterday in a siege where I saw all those 2H heroes walking up a ramp like lemmings while there was a considerable shitstorm of arrows and throwing stuff coming down. None of them reached the end of the ramp in a respectable state (I did behind my shield, but of course had no chance against the monsters waiting there). And none of them could overcome their pride and pick up a shield. Just one of the disadvantages that come with the usual 2H mindset.

So: I do not care.

Yes, some of the 2H have definitely too much speed and too low strength requirements (go to a museum and ask nicely if you can hold that 2h sword for a minute in your hands...), but let them have their fun.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »
I don't know why my awesome bar is taking such a huge hit when I am just stating game mechanics.

Given what many of you said earlier "learn the mechanics of the game before you comment" yet I seem to be penalized by the very same 2h trolls who made this comment.

This just proves my point earlier and the one that others made about the psychological standing of many of these players being internet epeen troll flexors.

There now you HAVE a reason to reduce my awesome bar.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »
I don't know why my awesome bar is taking such a huge hit when I am just stating game mechanics.

Given what many of you said earlier "learn the mechanics of the game before you comment" yet I seem to be penalized by the very same 2h trolls who made this comment.

This just proves my point earlier and the one that others made about the psychological standing of many of these players being internet epeen troll flexors.

There now you HAVE a reason to reduce my awesome bar.

people havent really been  saying alot about game mechanics, have they? maybe a little about animations, but...

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2011, 03:42:40 pm »
Weapon weight differences allow for you to strike back well before a 1h could after you manual block once. If it takes more then 1 swing to die then you have several chances to block once and get a clear chance for attack usually well before a shield can be raised.

Given this information manual blocking also has a clear advantage over shield blocking as well making 2h weapons superiour in every single way. Although shields can block in all directions manual blocking has an advantage in blocking as well making it balanced based on skill.

Congratulations.

You're not stating game mechanism, you're stating your own noobishness. The only time weapon weight difference comes into play is the first strike in a duel if you're 1h and don't have a shield vs a 2hander. So you just block twice in a row, then it's back to youblock-heblocks-youblock-etc. So what the hell are you talking about in the first paragraph?

Lemme get this straight. Manual blocking has an advantage in blocking because it has an advantage in blocking.. gotcha, flawless argumentation.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:07 pm »
Blocking is less than half of melee, you have to know how and when to attack as well. Failing to do so results in you getting hit when trying to counterattack. Don't blame the game for your own shortcomings.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 04:11:49 pm »
Blocking is less than half of melee, you have to know how and when to attack as well. Failing to do so results in you getting hit when trying to counterattack. Don't blame the game for your own shortcomings.

Indeed, was just on a server with 70wpf in 1h and wielding a shield, a katana user tried to outspam me, but shocker, I killed him with 2 overheads strike in a row after he hit my shield once.(used 96 speed weapon which is one of the "slower" 1handers)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 04:13:48 pm »
You're not stating game mechanism, you're stating your own noobishness. The only time weapon weight difference comes into play is the first strike in a duel if you're 1h and don't have a shield vs a 2hander. So you just block twice in a row, then it's back to youblock-heblocks-youblock-etc. So what the hell are you talking about in the first paragraph?

Lemme get this straight. Manual blocking has an advantage in blocking because it has an advantage in blocking.. gotcha, flawless argumentation.

You are wrong, stun can happen in the middle of fights.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 04:16:32 pm »
Yes, it happens to all weapons.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 05:06:40 pm »
I was saying manual blocking has its advantages...

Just like blocking with a shield has advantages...

Right?

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 09:15:05 pm »
I was saying manual blocking has its advantages...

Just like blocking with a shield has advantages...

Right?

No not right, shield can block 4 different swing directions and projectiles at once, by just holding rmb. And if there is a shield breaking weapon incoming you can allways flick the shield on your back for extra armour and manual block the scary shield crushing weapon. It's unparralled when it comes to convenience and if you don't mind beeing slow you can allways bring more then 1. In the end a shield is pure luxury over manual block.

However this has nothing to do with personal preferance. I like to manual block so I choose a weapon that gives me extra damage and length.

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »
And none of them could overcome their pride and pick up a shield. Just one of the disadvantages that come with the usual 2H mindset.

:D

I have an aversion (though I'm not a complete fool - I'm well aware that I'm being ridiculous!) to carrying shields, and I know that it is likely pride resulting from a (slightly affected, comical) loathing of shielders, heh.

So, yes, that's me. Though, not in your siege example, no. You wouldn't catch me walking up a ramp into a hail of arrows and throwing weapons. Better to stand at the bottom, chastising the shielders for not doing their job while using my lack of shield as an excuse for not joining the assault.

Ah, the two-handed life is a good life, heh. :D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:47:03 pm by Raskolnikov »

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:49 pm »
No not right, shield can block 4 different swing directions and projectiles at once, by just holding rmb. And if there is a shield breaking weapon incoming you can allways flick the shield on your back for extra armour and manual block the scary shield crushing weapon. It's unparralled when it comes to convenience and if you don't mind beeing slow you can allways bring more then 1. In the end a shield is pure luxury over manual block.

However this has nothing to do with personal preferance. I like to manual block so I choose a weapon that gives me extra damage and length.

Lol so manual blocking has no advantages over shield at all right?

Like your manual blocks never break, stun timer for blocking lighter weapons, faster block speed compared to most shields (you can parry very quickly during a fight)

Don't get me wrong, I use a shield but I also can use a 2h weapon very well and a more than capable manual blocker but I know for a fact there are advantages to both types of defense.