Author Topic: Unintended Consequences (long)  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: Unintended Consequences (long)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 07:32:04 pm »
agreed. even worse though: it seems everyone getting tired of kuyak is starting to use studded leather over mail. Time to look for a new armour :(

That's why I switched :( Hope that the mail shirt never gets popular..
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »
I just love it how so many people are trying so hard to look unique and most of 'em failing. :P
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 07:39:11 pm »
A lot of people really use the kuyaks? I've heard that in the past but I've never really noticed it being an extremely popular armor.
And how!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
I've read it all, there is only one conclusion. You are full of shit. I have even bothered to elaborate.

Now ladders have been removed everyone is sick of cavalry rampaging around unchecked.
Nope, it aint so bad.

and by the slower right-left animation, which makes jump-kill harder to execute.
Has been reverted, use a stab you derp.

There were obviously things wrong with the game back then; bringing in the Cataphract ("robot horse") and the Plated Charger unbalanced things, and soon the sidearm crossbow users were to reduce the game to a shooting match, but they were fixed.
No they were not. Till the end of december 2010 The_Finn did laps through the main zerg hordes getting scores of 50/2 just by the bump power of his +3 Plated Charger while being a mediocre lancer. Every match continued to be a big ass skirmish.

but they were fixed. But never again would I actually have a character I enjoyed playing. Patches keep spoiling things.
How did this fixing happen then? Seems like you are disagreeing with yourself there.

The only characters I have fun with now are silly characters like Hot Chick With a Sword or Ugg the Caveman. Even then the fun doesn't last, because with each patch, the viability of a build is reduced, the choice narrows. Dying 15 times in a row without killing a single one of those optimised, Kuyak wearing death machines is boring.
Stop being an individiuality whore, you can't expect to be viable with every type of build. You don't want to get a normal build or normal gear, but you still complain about effectivity? I use effective gear, still look unique, its not that hard.

One third to a half of all infantry are now pike users anyway, because of the OP-ness of cavalry.
Or, the OP-ness of pikes, that is why in my case. A pike doesn't help you if you are not aware, which is really the only thing you need to fight cavalry. You can just downblock or hit the horse with most weapons. Also, they don't always target you, thats when you need to kill cav if you have a shorter weapon.

The result is that Amiran has become yet another spammitar guy - a choice forced on me.
There are about a dozen viable top tier 1h weapons, you really chose yourself. But indeed, nerf scimitar or remove them as the engine can obviously not handle them. Or slow down  1h leftslash, speed up other directions

I used to have an archer alt, too. Now, forget it. Unless you play archer all the time or are of the same standard as Radh or Tenne, you may as well be a practice dummy.
Archery is popular, to prevent the servers from reaching gamebreaking archer levels they make it a hard class to weed out the nubs, seems like its working correctly.

Get rid of the "soft" level cap - it paradoxically makes everyone a munchkin power gamer.
I'm sorry that the transition from a performance based on grinding game to a skill based game didn't work out in your favour. I say the game is better now and how is only a hard cap better than both a soft cap and a hard cap?

Is it what you wanted?
Almost, yes.

Never before have phantom blocks and blows been such a problem. People are saying "don't bother blocking, it doesn't work, just spam".
Maybe because never so much people have been able to block so much attacks and the average engagement in battle takes an asston more time now. No one I know has ever said that. I am pretty confident in my blocks, they rarely fail.

That is all.

Offline Cosmos_Shielder

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • French Connection Leader
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: Roland De Gilead
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:08 pm »
Archer on a roof , is impossible to counter .
If cav piss you off , take a pike and they will never bother you again.
Then you may answer :'wwwhat? I should take a pike , help my friend by defending them against cav , and play teamplay? IS MOD DEAD?'
But after you ,saying that, nobody will bother reading you anymore

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 08:37:14 pm »
That's why I switched :( Hope that the mail shirt never gets popular..

its not that popular, most NH guys use it i believe (I do)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »
+1
I've read it all, there is only one conclusion. You are full of shit. I have even bothered to elaborate.
That's good, or you'd just sound like a total cunt. You possibly want to avoid that. Or possibly not.
No they were not. Till the end of december 2010 The_Finn did laps through the main zerg hordes getting scores of 50/2 just by the bump power of his +3 Plated Charger while being a mediocre lancer. Every match continued to be a big ass skirmish.
So it was fixed by the upkeep patch then, wasn't it?
How did this fixing happen then? Seems like you are disagreeing with yourself there.
Some aspects of some patches fix things. Other patches, or parts of patches, seem to make more and more people unhappy. There is no contradiction here: patches are capable of both good and evil.
Stop being an individiuality whore, you can't expect to be viable with every type of build. You don't want to get a normal build or normal gear, but you still complain about effectivity? I use effective gear, still look unique, its not that hard.
Besides the laughable contradiction in terms of "individuality whore", you fail to understand because you can only think in simplistic terms of pure black and white. I don't expect effectivity (or effectuation, effectualhood or even effectiveness) or capability in such silly characters, but there is a point where total lack of capability leading to constant death makes it no fun to keep playing anymore
I'm sorry that the transition from a performance based on grinding game to a skill based game didn't work out in your favour. I say the game is better now and how is only a hard cap better than both a soft cap and a hard cap?
What it does is force everyone into an optimisation contest, calculating the relative merits of armour, weapons, builds because very few will get past level 30 and stay there and so no long game to play. The downside of removing the cap, of course, is the possibility of more horse archers...
Maybe because never so much people have been able to block so much attacks and the average engagement in battle takes an asston more time now. No one I know has ever said that. I am pretty confident in my blocks, they rarely fail.
Some weapons seem to fail more than others. With the RL speed reverted, it could be this will improve as a lot of failed blocks seemed to be left blocks.
Then you may answer :'wwwhat? I should take a pike , help my friend by defending them against cav , and play teamplay? IS MOD DEAD?'
I had this strange idea that crpg was about players being able to choose what equipment and build to play, rather than the game forcing me to adopt a particular role. What's the difference between this and playing a Rhodok Sergeant versus Swadians in a Native battle?
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »

Archery is popular, to prevent the servers from reaching gamebreaking archer levels they make it a hard class to weed out the nubs, seems like its working correctly.

If by nubs you mean longbowmen, xbowmen, throwers and HA. Dont be so full of yourself, that was an unnecessary patch that damaged all ranged and ended up screwing up  balance in the servers. The ladder removal was justified though.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
So it was fixed by the upkeep patch then, wasn't it?

There were obviously things wrong with the game back then; bringing in the Cataphract ("robot horse") and the Plated Charger unbalanced things, and soon the sidearm crossbow users were to reduce the game to a shooting match, but they were fixed.
'There were things wrong with the game back then, but they were fixed.'

You are defending the 2010 mod. You come with a few arguments why it was good. Then you back up the greatness of the 2010 mod some more by disproving a counter argument, By claiming that in the 2010 mod a few flaws were fixed before the upkeep patch. That is all I can read here. This is really some flawed arguing if you defend the 2010 mod by saying it was flawed but fixed by the patch that completely threw the basic game around.

Me misunderstanding you on this point, has not to do with my reading comprehension but with your formulating.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 10:20:23 pm »

Archer on roof was not impossible to counter.  This is such a crock that gets repeated much too often.  If he wasn't shot off the roof, he had to jump down after all his buddies on the ground got killed.  Manufactured problem to you by the Amalgamated Union of Whiners.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
'There were things wrong with the game back then, but they were fixed.'

You are defending the 2010 mod.
No, I'm not; I'm saying subjectively that was when I was enjoying it most. The 2010 mod went wrong, as I said, because we got the super heavy horses and then crossbow-as-sidearm madness. The fixes were good things. Other aspects were not good.
You come with a few arguments why it was good.
No, I don't, I'm not arguing that it was good. I said I had more fun with progressing my character back then in the window before the horse and crossbow disasters.
Then you back up the greatness of the 2010 mod some more by disproving a counter argument, By claiming that in the 2010 mod a few flaws were fixed before the upkeep patch.
No, you insert "before the upkeep patch". I say that only in your imagination. I think the upkeep patch, apart from the level cap, was a good thing. I think some fixes since then have been good things. A lot of the tinkering, nerfs and buffs have been pointless and lessened a lot of players' enjoyment - secondary mode half-swording, for instance was a waste of time: who uses it? Removing ladders from siege was good, things were very unbalanced in favour of the attackers. Some good, some bad. However, on balance, I think in spite of the flaws that were fixed, it was easier to enjoy the game in the past than it is now. This isn't because the 2010 version was somehow better, it is because too much has been done to fix things that weren't actually broken. Perhaps some of this was due to lobbying.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 11:01:35 pm »
I just love it how so many people are trying so hard to look unique and most of 'em failing. :P
well, you can wear what you want with that mug. I recognize it under a klappvisier, it shines through.  :)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 11:02:44 pm »
Archer on roof was not impossible to counter.  This is such a crock that gets repeated much too often.  If he wasn't shot off the roof, he had to jump down after all his buddies on the ground got killed.  Manufactured problem to you by the Amalgamated Union of Whiners.

So it is okay that an archer is only killable at the end of the round for 66% of all enemies, while he is able to attack everyone all the time, and this is okay to you?

This is like saying:

"Infantry is totally immune to arrows. If the last cavalryman or acher of the team gets killed, this protection disappears, and infantry becomes vulnerable to arrows. Which means it can be countered... eventually. I don't see a problem there, it is a self manufactured problem you are whining about..."

Edit: It's a sad fact that many people in this forum are even uncapable of reading such a small text, it's everything else but long or extensive, and yet many people can't resist to post an opinion, although they read only one paragraph or a particular sentence.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 11:06:27 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »
This is madness.

This mod is lost without the looney tunes axe and the boulder on a stick.

I want my plated charger, rediculous grind, archers with long bows, bodkins and flamberges, Lance of compensation with old animation(if you think cav isnt bad enough now), Dimos at level 42 crushing every one with his fully loomed set (pre patch spamatar), a guy called baldwin retiring every couple of days and throwing lances raining down like lightning bolts with immense accuracy and damage.

In hind sight i don't miss it at all. The only thing i really miss is a full Aus server which only happens about once a month now.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 12:35:40 am »
+1
Having played from the very beginning I think as of right now the game seems alright except for Cavalry which needs to be balanced for the new better style of the game. I like that archery is something you really have to be good at to rack up a ton of kills, otherwise you're a supporter (which should be fine unless someone has an ego), I would absolutely loathe if C-RPG turned into (returned) the class to an equivalent of the sniper class in FPS games, no doubt that A LOT of players would prefer this because they love to play a class where you sit somewhere in safety and pick off other players, and they'll do that for hours on servers. I'm completely against this type of play-style and promoting it in any games is wrong and leads to the people you actually want playing your games not wanting to play it in the long run.

No doubt all c-rpg need right now is just to get more players, more new content + help new players understand the game and its modes better.

Either way everyone always need to settle down with whatever changes occur, so if Cav should change, we would need another month or so for people to settle down again.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!