Author Topic: Siege is much better now w/o ladders - thanks devs  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Siege is much better now w/o ladders - thanks devs
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »
+13
I didn't play CRPG for a few weeks and now came back to this and I gotta say siege is a lot better now with no ladders. I dunno about EU siege, but NA siege where population has trouble getting above 60 it's really balanced things better, it was almost impossible before to defend any map without a stacked team, was just way to easy to get ladders up lightly defended sides. Thanks so much, siege is fun again, please don't bring them back.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
Re: Siege is much better now w/o ladders - thanks devs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »
Agreed.

Haven't had too much time to actually play but when I did I enjoyed Siege a lot more, both as an attacker and defender.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:14 pm »
Yep, now in Siege you really need to coordinate efforts with your team to accomplish victory.

The only con atm in siege imho is simply the team hitting, sometimes could be avoided.

But then again, I'd rather be team killed, than getting spawn 1 hit by 5498 cav players, and having to hide the whole round to avoid getting 1hit in the back.  :wink:

Siege ftw!

PS: Give some more Siege admins ch0dz please... I can point you some names if needed.

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:15 pm »

PS: Give some more Siege admins ch0dz please... I can point you some names if needed.

Why dont you volunteer your services?  :twisted:

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:57 pm »
+2
Yeah, lack of ladders is great- on most maps. Some maps appear to have been designed with ladders in mind. One way to flag via a long, cumbersome path, stuff like that. The only thing I'd ask for now, is more NA admins who actually play siege!
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »
problem is just that its not everyone whos on the same TS/other voice.

the change only benefit the clans.

randoms isnt able to co-ordinate in the same manner.

no ladders on siege: iPuke® :)

i should add that since the change i havent really played siege, but id suggest a limit/team. i know this aint gonna happen so i will continue not to play siege :p

besides, i think the map cycle on siege is made back when ladders was allowed? in my POV theres a 2-4 maps that needs to be taken out or at least looked at.

/snig
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:51:10 pm by Sniger »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:50 am »
+1
problem is just that its not everyone whos on the same TS/other voice.

the change only benefit the clans.

randoms isnt able to co-ordinate in the same manner.

no ladders on siege: iPuke® :)

i should add that since the change i havent really played siege, but id suggest a limit/team. i know this aint gonna happen so i will continue not to play siege :p

besides, i think the map cycle on siege is made back when ladders was allowed? in my POV theres a 2-4 maps that needs to be taken out or at least looked at.

/snig

So you don't actually play siege, but have an opinion? Thanks

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:57 am »
The way we (HRE) defend castles didnt changed at all. Just defending the flag (And on some maps the gatehouse) is still the most effective way.

But attacking really sucks on some maps. If there are only 2 ways to get to the flag it's just mindless rushing towards one of them and killing.

I don't mind if siege would stay without ladders...but still, it's called SIEGE, why the hell should it not have ladders?!

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:47:21 am »
+1
Well now maps can be balanced around existing routes, not infinite possible ladder routes. or are you really gonna argue realism here?

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:21:53 am »
Well now maps can be balanced around existing routes, not infinite possible ladder routes. or are you really gonna argue realism here?

Like i said, i don't mind that there are no more ladders, i can still farm x5 with my clanmates. But i got one castle in mind with only one fucking way to the flag and that is totally not how a siege is supposed to be, no matter how balanced it might be (Although it's not. Talking about one of the new sarranid castles in the desert, don't know the name).

And siege was balanced before, too.

JUST FIX THE GODDAMN PAPERDOOR-BUG!

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:53 am »
+1
Personally I find siege much more boring now. I never liked the native style meatgrinders where you don't have a choice but to climb that ladder into the arms of 20 waiting defenders. I also don't understand the bitching about ladders unbalancing maps, at least from european players. There were only a couple of castles that were really unbalanced with ladders. Most just had a couple of good spots for ladder placement, something that you can easily defend against if you know what you're doing.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:37:57 am »
We need an overhaul of the maps used (at least on NA), and encourage mapmakers to make castles with dynamic possibilities. Currently too many of the maps are Native Singleplayer ones that are way too biased for one side or another. What is "challenging" in singleplayer is irritating in multi.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:35 am »
Tactics have not changed alot. Now it is even more camping and a way more predictable. In other words still boring without ladders.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:09:49 am »
+1
Personally I like it better without ladders. Getting people on siege to do anything is a lot like herding cats. Hell, it's hard enough to get people to defend the flag let alone get them to respond to ladders dynamically placed at any number of points. With only a few points of entry it makes for a much more interesting game in my opinion.

However, we do need more maps. What happened to all the ATS siege maps? There were a lot of broken ones in that rotation but there were also a lot of good ones too. Perhaps we could load more of those in?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:21:39 am »
+7
I think what Siege really needs is multiple capture points, so it's more of a progression through the map rather than a race to the flag in the center/back of the castle. Theoretically defenders can just ignore everything in the map and stay near the flag and do better than if they were to actually try to use the walls and such. It's generally more effective, leaving the attackers with a relatively boring trek assuming there aren't people still herpy derpy on the walls.

So far the closest I've seen to what I'm looking for are maps with several gates leading straight for the flag, but you have to fight to get to each of the controls, so there's sort of a progression in that sense, and a greater incentive to protect the gate controls/walls rather than the flag.

Was this post relevant to ladders? A little, I suppose, just invisibly. >=o