Author Topic: Autobalance - bring your suggestions  (Read 6565 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: Autobalance - bring your suggestions
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 05:11:54 pm »
i like the banner balance, but i hate the fact that auto-balance only kicks in after first round.
this is what happens 3/5 times:
team 1 wins
auto-balance makes the other team far better
team 2 wins
team 2 wins
team 2 wins
team 2 wins
team 2 wins

then people say its balanced cause both teams have one, but in all the rounds one team was better than the other.
i know that this gives us better multipliers, but i would like some close rounds that end with 1 vs 1 and stuff like that

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2011, 01:54:37 am »
Ok, just putting this out here.
I really do prefer playing with my friends over all other things and I just don't want to somehow be punished for playing well with them. I currently am ok with the system now although it is really erratic with player distribution on one team vs another.
For example, it is normally pretty close with player count, say, 30 vs 33. Then, with balancing it will either end up 31 vs 32 with all the first-round-high-K/D players mashed up OR it will end up 27 vs 36. It is not consistent one way or the other. Now, most people are lobbying towards the even player count teams and they have their reasons. However, I very much prefer the uneven player count teams (exaggerated example: 20 vs 35) and let me explain why.
Here is a scenario that is really common when I play with my clan members that happens all the time. We start off and thanks to team work and playing well as a group and playing smart we will beat a lot of players and have a high K/D. We will then get split up to opposing sides due to K/D balance and be punished for using teamwork. We have fun working together but if we do too well we can't play together. We will get split up so that we can't use teamwork anymore and we turn into the random pub slashers everyone else is and the game is less fun. The game ends up really close and more fun in the high player count vs lesser player count scenarios as more players on both teams are banner balanced together with their friends. The higher the disparity there is often more teamwork and it adds a really nice dynamic to the game you often don't get to see.

Ah well, This is an appeal just saying "don't punish team play" and that is it. Whatever changes get made, keep teamwork in mind. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:59:35 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 03:40:27 am »
I'd really like a class based system.
VictheBear's idea looks good, but you could go another way. If and only if he picks archer as class he gets access to bows. He can have them in inventory but he just doesn't get to pick them. If he said his class is infantry he has to relog.
Side effect - people can't switch every round, while technically having the skill they just didn't take the item with them on campaign. They could still pick up stuff, though.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:06 am »
I'd really like a class based system.
VictheBear's idea looks good, but you could go another way. If and only if he picks archer as class he gets access to bows. He can have them in inventory but he just doesn't get to pick them. If he said his class is infantry he has to relog.
Side effect - people can't switch every round, while technically having the skill they just didn't take the item with them on campaign. They could still pick up stuff, though.

That would also kill hybrids, wouldn't it?

Offline weight

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Fatty
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:16 am »
Banner balance is the best thing that has happened to this mod. The ability to be able to play with your friends on the same team is what makes this mod so fun.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2011, 11:26:11 am »
Banner balance is the best thing that has happened to this mod. The ability to be able to play with your friends on the same team is what makes this mod so fun.

agreed, banner balance is a must, but sometimes the balance works in mysterious ways.

often banner balance works in a way that it stacks same banners (clans) on one side and randoms on other, witch leads to 5-0, 5-1 maps pretty regulary.

if there were a way to balace the balance...

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I hope chadz takes the time to parse the google translated grammar here. This method is well thought out and I believe it would be absolutely ideal, even were it not to take into account things like assist damage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2011, 08:27:52 pm »
I'll contribute with a small suggestion.

First off, banner balance is good but it should be limited by opposing two different clans. That means, if you put x players in team A with the same banner, you need to put y players in team B with the same banner as well (to be clear, banner x is different from banner y). If a clan has too many players, they will be balanced normally between the two teams. This way if there's only one zerg clan, if won't be one clan vs all on a public server which equals pubstomping and isn't balanced by definition.

The proper balancing must take into account a few things to calculate the weight, an algorythm has been suggested already, but i'll make my own suggestion. Take into account: level, equipment, character's k/d ratio, and also the k/d ratio in the current map. If he has 0 kills, he doesn't equal to 0 value. Should be something like this ((character KD + map KD)/2)*level_equipment_value. The last variable must be calculated and adjusted after some tests, you can start with something like level * equipment cost/1000.

Then you distribute players evenly, which means you sort them by strength and place one in each team (this is the maior flaw of current autobalance, it doesn't do it), and after this, the algorythm can do some last adjustements (like shifting players, as i'll explain now), this is before the first round. Later on players can be switched after 3 rounds (no switching before that), switching is easy, calculate the difference between the teams and switch a player (or more players) worth that difference, from strongest to weakest. Repeat every 3 rounds. The formula can be adjusted, for example we may want map kd (which is kd in the current map) to count more than character kd, or equipment count more than level. Only live testing can tell what's best here. We may also want kd to count more than level+equipment factor (which is of course easy, for example multiply the kd factor by 3, divide the level_equipment_value by 2). So the more complex formula might look something like this:

(3*((character_KD/2 + map_KD*2)/2))*(level_equipment_value/3)

with
character_kd = kd ratio of the character (as reported in the crpg website)
map_KD the kd ratio of the player in the current map (will be 0 at start of course)
level_equipment_value could be something like level/3 * equipment_cost/500

As i said testing will suggest the correct formula. I've bolded what i think is the maior flaw of the current autobalance and my suggestion to fix it. The formula can be written in a shorter form, but i suggest to leave it like this for better readability. It's easier to adjust when every constant has a meaning.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:29:04 pm by Ganon »

Offline Khalim

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »
I dont see the use of autobalance.

Why not just implement an multipliere of 2.2? This would just be the same.

I hate when I join a team in the first round, then win and then everything chances so I lose every other round..
" ME LONG WOOD PIECE WITH SHARP STONE AT PEAK.ME COME RIDE TO YOU ON BIG ANIMAL FAST."

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 01:46:08 am »
There are couple of problems with the banner(balance)

- 1st - if sbdy from the "banner team" scores high in the first round, he is usually switched to the other team. its stupid, i even tell ramess on ts: "Please stop killing or you won't again play with us!". even more stupid is that i'm serious about that... that sux.
- 2nd - very often happens that people from 1 banner team are continually switched to the other team. so after round 1 we all play together but when the score is 3:3 we have the same ammount of clanmembers in 1 team and the same ammount in the other team - this is absolutely stupid.
- 3rd - the problem with the balance also is, that some maps are just not balanced at all. i like the siege balance that changes you from team to team sometimes: i often get switched from attacking to defending side. i think for battles this should be introduced too, because most of the maps aren't and never will be equal for both sides. i experienced a few times when i kept my x5 for more than 10!!!! times!!! mathematicaly its almost impossible, however it happened (because maps aren't balanced and i got lucky to start at the "right" side)
- 4th - if some team is loosing 4:0 the balance doesn't put this to much into consideration imo - i saw many 4:0 maps (obviously those that benefit 1 team more than the other one just because their archers can camp village rooftops etc...) where in the last round the teams were quite equal. the balance imo puts bigger stress on K:D ratio of players and tries to keep it equall than on the score of the game.
- 5th - for some reason balance also tries to keep the ammount of players equall, this is stupid. lets bring on more variety and introduce such a balance, that wouldn't care so much about equalling the actual ammount of players - i think such a balance would bring even more diversity and fun to the game and most of all would be easier to script. because lets admit one thing: it is almost impossible to keep ammount of players equall, while having similar k:d ratio for all and having all banners grouped together at the same time while also considering the actual score of the game

my rough idea is:
- (banner)balance should be done at the start of every round - the (banner)balance should also switch people to different sides (also on battle maps)

- the formula could be like this:
1) the biggest team with the same banner goes to loosing team
2) the 2nd biggest team with the same banner goes to winning team
3) to the winning team there is added another team(s) to equall it out according to K:D ratio
4) etc etc etc...

if there would be to many of the same banners (like closing to 50 percent) the banner balance should be auto disabled and people split only according to K:D ratio
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:14 pm »
Vics suggestion doesn't work because there are people that mix up classes my main is used as cav, or on foot from time to time with xbow, sometimes mounted xbow. I don't wanna choose a new class every time  :lol:

Still you are the most beautiful girl in cRPG right after Balton honey  :o

You could still hybrid; choosing the class doesn't effect anything other than balance so you could still use whatever weapons you could equip to begin with, it's not like if you chose archer class you wouldn't have a melee; if you are a hybrid you would just choose the one you think you're best at or have the most wpf points in.

Sounds like a good idea, but think about it: Why would you ever want to chose cav there, as it would lead to less other cav in your team...

But another thing I noticed: The modifier distributor should check for fair teams at the start of the round, not after. It's quite common on small servers not to get your modifier if you made some enemies GTX.
I suppose this is a pretty good point...
It's not like riding is wpf, so you could really just choose whatever class your wpf is and then the perfectly balanced teams would be unbalanced  D:

OHGODTHERE'SNOSUCHTHINGASPERFECTAUTOBALANCEWHYYYYYWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY /cry

no really
/cry
--victoria

Offline Quirian

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Quirian_HRE
  • IRC nick: Quirian_HRE
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »
Marriage? @ Vic?

Offline VicTheBear

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • You guys are dicks, and I'll drink to that.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: VicTheBear
  • IRC nick: VicTheBear
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »
Marriage? @ Vic?

Jeez, I'm not even worth a PM?
--victoria

Offline Quirian

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Quirian_HRE
  • IRC nick: Quirian_HRE
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 10:00:36 pm »
I wasn't sure if mail was gonna make it over the sea to you, so I just made this lousy forum post.

I count that as a yes, amirite?

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »
As a player new to multipliers and generations in cRPG but not to the mod itself, I would personally like to see generation/number of heirloomed items being used as a factor in team balancing. People who have max heirloomed armor/weapons etc are well and good; they played long enough to earn those things. However, if one team has a significant number of players who have such gear while the other does not, it can be very frustrating. Each team needs some sort of comparable "champion pool" in terms of the heirloomed gear advantage. Just the thoughts of one peasant.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.