Author Topic: Bring back the native lance spectrum  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
Re: Bring back the native lance spectrum
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 01:04:32 am »
He is EU you...

Oh god ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah

*dies of laughter*

Same shit different smell, I'd destroy you all none-the-less.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35:16 am »
Same shit different smell, I'd destroy you all none-the-less.

(click to show/hide)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:35:23 am »
What do you know of "realism"? Dig up some facts before you claim something is unrealistic.  The historical area of engagement for a lance was thirty degrees; two-thirds of what it is now.  Also, fuck no -- fuck. no. -- to any buff for cavalry. They're disgusting enough as it is.  If you're having difficulty doing well as cavalry it is due to your inexperience, not a lack of power.

Not only in my mind does it make sense that cavalry would only be lancing from 45 degrees in front (or 30 as you say), it's good for the balance of the game.  You wouldn't reach out 90 degrees from your body at a full charge and expect to do any real damage stabbing someone (unless they didn't have any decent armor on).  To get any leverage you would need to keep the lance pretty much forward.

It was pretty ridiculous in native when I could ride full speed forward, and then stab behind me and do some serious damage. 

One thing I wish would be implemented for lancing on cavalry however, is being able to turn your grip so you are stabbing downward from the horse.  Would be nice when you are stopped, I'm pretty sure I would spin my lance around, choke up, and stab down onto people's heads (would be good for turning around and stabbing behind the horse or in front of it). 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 01:47:55 am »
Not only in my mind does it make sense that cavalry would only be lancing from 45 degrees in front (or 30 as you say), it's good for the balance of the game.  You wouldn't reach out 90 degrees from your body at a full charge and expect to do any real damage stabbing someone (unless they didn't have any decent armor on).  To get any leverage you would need to keep the lance pretty much forward.

It was pretty ridiculous in native when I could ride full speed forward, and then stab behind me and do some serious damage. 

One thing I wish would be implemented for lancing on cavalry however, is being able to turn your grip so you are stabbing downward from the horse.  Would be nice when you are stopped, I'm pretty sure I would spin my lance around, choke up, and stab down onto people's heads (would be good for turning around and stabbing behind the horse or in front of it).

I mentioned this as 'realism' as if another cav charges your flank, you could thrust in that direction, i didn't intend this from a charge perspective lol

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:51:22 am »
What do you know of "realism"? Dig up some facts before you claim something is unrealistic.  The historical area of engagement for a lance was thirty degrees; two-thirds of what it is now.  Also, fuck no -- fuck. no. -- to any buff for cavalry. They're disgusting enough as it is.  If you're having difficulty doing well as cavalry it is due to your inexperience, not a lack of power.

Maybe you are talking about couched lancing? I don't think you will find any evidence supporting the idea that for some reason, it was convention in the middle ages to risk death in keeping one's self from attacking an enemy until that enemy is directly ahead. It makes sense to restrict the longer lances to couching, but light cavalry world over were still operating with less unwieldy lances designed for a high stabbing motion in the ancient manner. In terms of gameplay, M&B simulates this quite well.

I think the "skill only" naysayers in this thread are probably content with picking off unattentive players. If you're killing 2hers and polearm players with a light lance at the moment, they should be advised to uninstall. I joined US a couple of days ago with a brand new char, to get it registered on the site and I killed 3 horses in one round with my starting sickle, 300 ping. 1h vs cav is probably a fair fight at the moment, but 2h and pole have no excuse outside a gank. It's very rare to be in such a bad position that you even have to downblock, in my recent experience.

The lance fov reduction was apparently put in place to make 1h cav more effective. 1h cav has not become magically more effective at fighting infantry, they can harry 1h inf, but they are still never ever going to beat an alert 1h or 2h inf 1 on 1.

Courser costs more than Transitional and cavalry balancing needs to take this into account.

To get any leverage you would need to keep the lance pretty much forward.

I think you underestimate the momentum involved and as I say, overhead lancing was the norm for most medieval cultures.

In native, stabbing behind you gives a huge speed reduction, instead of 250% damage, you might end up doing 20%. It's not so ludicrous.

Edit: Since medieval paintings almost always show combatants facing each other, because of the gothic style, I doubt there are many depictions of sideways lance angle, but here's a guy couching over the fellow next to him.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:53:59 am by MeevarTheMighty »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:57 am »
If you're riding forward I doubt you would be stabbing 90 degrees to your side.   You have literally no momentum nor leverage.  I'm not only talking about couching.  If you're moving forward (momentum carrying you forward) and you thrust at 90 degrees to your side and catch anything, you're going to either lose your lance, or lose your arm trying to hold on to it.

I think the overhead stab would be good for stabbing down and would "undo" the FoV restriction, but it should only be viable when you're not moving at full speed (basically the opposite of a couched lance).

As it stands right now, I think the restricted FoV is very good for game balance.  It still does feel a little hokey when I'm turning to the right and can't extend my lance out a couple degrees farther (your leverage would allow you to angle it out farther than if you were going forward), but I still think it's a good balance for the game.  It definitely  takes getting used to, and even now after literally 6 months or 8 months of pretty regular game play, I still sometimes get fucked over by it. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:15:58 am by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 02:17:50 am »
I mentioned this as 'realism' as if another cav charges your flank, you could thrust in that direction, i didn't intend this from a charge perspective lol

Yeah I don't like that at all.  His momentum would be enough to impale himself or his horse on your lance.  I see what you're saying, and although I agree 100%, I don't see how they can do that and still keep the game balanced (btw, all I play is lance cavalry).

The only way I can see that working is like I suggested for the overhead stab, that when you are moving under a certain speed you could overhead stab and it would allow a less restricted (or unrestricted FoV).  Basically like the opposite of a couched lance.  I think that would be pretty sweet, but doubt it would be implemented. 

///fuck sorry for double post...meant to edit.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 02:27:36 am »
If you're riding forward I doubt you would be stabbing 90 degrees to your side.   You have literally no momentum nor leverage.  I'm not only talking about couching.  If you're moving forward (momentum carrying you forward) and you thrust at 90 degrees to your side and catch anything, you're going to either lose your lance, or lose your arm trying to hold on to it.

I think the overhead stab would be good for stabbing down and would "undo" the FoV restriction, but it should only be viable when you're not moving at full speed (basically the opposite of a couched lance).

As it stands right now, I think the restricted FoV is very good for game balance.  It still does feel a little hokey when I'm turning to the right and can't extend my lance out a couple degrees farther (your leverage would allow you to angle it out farther than if you were going forward), but I still think it's a good balance for the game.  It definitely  takes getting used to, and even now after literally 6 months or 8 months of pretty regular game play, I still sometimes get fucked over by it.

Okay, if you're stationary, or travelling slowly, and an enemy cav comes at you side on, you have momentum, as it's always conserved. If the flanking horse is travelling at say, 40km/h, that is 11.1111.... m/s. if that horse weighs around 400kg with rider that is P=MV. Therefore, your lance would strike the charging horse at 11.111... x 400 = 4,444kgm/s.

That is more than enough to kill someone riding to your flank. and lancing at that angle is possible from a slow/stationary speed.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:37 am »
Funny you say that, in native duels, id beat you 10/10 no doubt. Ironic how an NA is saying "l2p".

lol, everybody must love aussie warband comunity they are so awesome :lol:
Fortunatelly all this thousands of noobs on NA and EU are protected by great ping wall and cant be humiliate by 15 aus players.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:55 am »
Let's also make archers shoot fast, and crossbows be sniper rifles.
Oh, and make all shields made of paper.

Must be bad idea day.
(Wouldn't using REALISM facts make this belong in the realism section?)
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 02:33:19 am »
cant we just lock this thread.  its lost anyway
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 02:52:45 am »

So you think it's easier to pull your lance out of something you hit head on? Think about it.

That's the purpose of the lance thrust, to fulfill the role that overhead stabbing would have and as the opposite of couching. At the moment thrusting gives a small range increase and can be blocked with a sword, otherwise they are fairly identical. It's boring and it feels artificial.

Fortunatelly all this thousands of noobs on NA and EU are protected by great ping wall and cant be humiliate by 15 aus players.

Lol idk about this. We still manage the occasional humiliation, but you guys will get better, maybe some day it will be as you say.  :P

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:14 am »
a small range increase

range increase is paramount to survival against a 2hander, spearman or couched lance.

can be blocked with a sword

bumpslash,  mate : )
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 07:52:05 am »

Agree, please save us from aussies, noone could handle their leet skills!

They would 10/10 us in a duel no doubt bro!!!

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:28 am »
All game balance issues aside, if you stab at a 90* angle on a charging horse you're going to break your arm if you hit anything. This is very simple physics: very long stick + very fast speed + force being applied in a perpendicular direction to the stick = very strong leverage effect perpendicular to your arm, which is already being held at an awkward angle outward. Best case scenario is a sprained wrist, worst case is a fractured elbow and dislocated shoulder.