Author Topic: Really melee-ers?  (Read 12005 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Really melee-ers?
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2012, 10:45:04 pm »
I've argued that both need a high level of skill to be good. They are just different skill sets. Just as a cav skillset is very different as well. Doesn't make one more inherently skillfull than the other.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2012, 10:45:37 pm »
Archer need to learn melee as well, so they are überhard. Case closed.

The question is how well most archers actually learn it, and there are many archers who don't even have a melee weapon.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:45 pm »
Melee have been easiest to play for me. So your opinion about saying one is harder than other is already wrong. Different people play different things well.

I don't think running middle of enemies and spamming with long weapon is hard at all, you always get couple kills and can do quite well on scoreboard.

Archer actually need to do quite a lot of targeting, hit same target many times and often someone else (melee) get score from weakened enemy. Also.. you are targeted by cav and melee whole round, spending a lot of time running around and doing nothing.

So... to get high in score, archer is harder. (My opinion, my playstyle).

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
And this is a load of bull.

A greatsword outreaches my poleaxe on 3/4 swings, and has overall higher reach.

The shitty bonus length on the animations in compensated by longer weapon length... Which is a disadvantage since high length + high weight on your weapon makes you run much slower.

And last time I checked, poles and 2h have roughtly equal damage apart from the stab. But then the polestab is outclassed by far by the 2h. And having a high-damage 2h stab would make playing pikeman as a 2h even more profitable.

And you constantly proclaim that poles have higher speed than 2h... Which from my POV is also total bull. Sure the Glavie has fucked up animations due to it's extreme length, but it is definitively slower than the GS's. Unless you got statistics to back that (imo) bullshit statement, then why should anyone believe you?

One thing I can agree about is the weight, where poles tend to beat 2h just, making for a pole advantage there. But I'd gladly have the weight "nerfed" to 2h levels since that would make me run faster.

Oh, and polestagger is bs yes.

This.

2Hs have a far better left swing, a longer stab (two-handed greatswords outranging almost all polearm stabs, but for the ridiculously long ones), better reach and better animations overall. Polearms compensate this by amazing versatility and that stupid polestagger.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Munchkin9

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2012, 03:06:16 am »
Polearms compensate this by amazing versatility and that stupid polestagger.

And by the 360-spin-stab.
Chars: Redreg

That's it. Don't like it? Tough.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2012, 06:48:53 am »
And by the 360-spin-stab.

And the spammy point-blank stab.

I don't know why they complain so often.  I'd much rather face another two-hander.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2012, 07:58:52 am »
OP not retarded enough to make me +1 him.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2012, 08:14:20 am »
Only if you fuck up. If you stop even one of them in their tracks, you then use the horse as cover from the rest and they will usually leave you alone because they know you are dangerous and there are easier pickings.

Besides, there shouldn't be a situation where you are so away from teammates ect that 3-4 cav would have a bearing on you.
When melee engage  20vs 20 and one team as let's say 3-10 more cav, you re going to hide behind a horse ? really  ^^

During that fight the team with less cav is going to get raped and you know it. 

Spending ALL my time looking around with free view isn't really what i enjoy most in this game.

But it's only a matter of time b4 ranged get buff or horsies get nerferd as it is snowballing now.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2012, 05:47:06 pm »
And this is a load of bull.

A greatsword outreaches my poleaxe on 3/4 swings, and has overall higher reach.

The shitty bonus length on the animations in compensated by longer weapon length... Which is a disadvantage since high length + high weight on your weapon makes you run much slower.

And last time I checked, poles and 2h have roughtly equal damage apart from the stab. But then the polestab is outclassed by far by the 2h. And having a high-damage 2h stab would make playing pikeman as a 2h even more profitable.

And you constantly proclaim that poles have higher speed than 2h... Which from my POV is also total bull. Sure the Glavie has fucked up animations due to it's extreme length, but it is definitively slower than the GS's. Unless you got statistics to back that (imo) bullshit statement, then why should anyone believe you?

One thing I can agree about is the weight, where poles tend to beat 2h just, making for a pole advantage there. But I'd gladly have the weight "nerfed" to 2h levels since that would make me run faster.

Oh, and polestagger is bs yes.
Not at all wanting to turn this into a 2h vs polearm discussion - and I personally have no problem with poles except for the strange stagger effect (on the contrary I really like them) - but I think what BM was referring to when he mentioned higher damage output on polearms was weapons such as Long War Axe (44 cut), Great Long Axe (45 cut), Great Long Bardiche (46 cut), Poleaxe (31 pierce) and the German Poleaxe (42 cut). But yes, these values are only slightly higher than what you find on top tier 2handers. Concerning reach and speed I agree it seems somewhat balanced between the two weapon classes though weight comes out in favour of the polearms (despite perhaps not being to your personal taste); when the difference is only a point or two it makes only a slight difference for movement but a World of difference when it enables a player to stun his opponent's weapon.

But the major advantage of polearms over 2handers is the animations. Sure, 2h animations might be more fluid and seem more natural to most players, but not so for any experienced polearm wielder and mostly not so for their opponents. Other than that polearm animations are in my opinion, and I think most other players', not as well-made as 2h animations, and it often looks like they are skipping frames (like most WB weapons but more so), especially when wielded by players with a fast, twitchy style. Stabs are the worst of course, here the character will lean slightly backwards while doing a thrust animation that can be exploited to be worse or at least equal to the infamous lolstab that 2handers used to have before it thankfully was nerfed. Running (even jumping) backwards and about while doing these comical, 360 degrees lolstabs again and again is utilized by many 'top-tier' polearm users, though there's nothing new about it; this is how it has always been since the first MP version of WB, but before the polestagger it all seemed to add up somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:55:08 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:54 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »
Yeah, polestagger sucks :p

Not at all wanting to turn this into a 2h vs polearm discussion - and I personally have no problem with poles except for the strange stagger effect (on the contrary I really like them) - but I think what BM was referring to when he mentioned higher damage output on polearms was weapons such as Long War Axe (44 cut), Great Long Axe (45 cut), Great Long Bardiche (46 cut), Poleaxe (31 pierce) and the German Poleaxe (42 cut). But yes, these values are only slightly higher than what you find on top tier 2handers. Concerning reach and speed I agree it seems somewhat balanced between the two weapon classes though weight comes out in favour of the polearms (despite perhaps not being to your personal taste); when the difference is only a point or two it makes only a slight difference for movement but a World of difference when it enables a player to stun his opponent's weapon.

Well, then there's only one thing I have to say - Great Maul (47 blunt)

Reach is defineatly in favour of the 2h due to animations. i'm sure Blackmilk can tell you.

the slightly lower speed of the plearms in general is compenstaed nicely for by Bonus against Shield imo.

But the major advantage of polearms over 2handers is the animations. Sure, 2h animations might be more fluid and seem more natural to most players, but not so for any experienced polearm wielder and mostly not so for their opponents. Other than that polearm animations are in my opinion, and I think most other players', not as well-made as 2h animations, and it often looks like they are skipping frames (like most WB weapons but more so), especially when wielded by players with a fast, twitchy style. Stabs are the worst of cource, here the character will lean slightly backwards while doing a thrust animation that can be exploited to be worse or at least equal to the infamous lolstab that 2handers used to have before it thankfully was nerfed. Running (even jumping) backwards and about while doing these comical, 360 degrees lolstabs again and again is utilized by many 'top-tier' polearm users, though there's nothing new about it; this is how it has always been since the first MP version of WB, but before the polestagger it all seemed to add up.

This just seems like personal taste. I personally have a much easier time blocking poles, and that is probably because I'm so used to them.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2012, 06:06:34 pm »
+1
Yes, as I said it was of course only based on my personal experience, but also what I thought many other players felt, based on the many WB players whose opinions on these matters I've heard over the years. But I hope we can agree on so much that you can still lol/swingstab with poles and not as well with 2handers (plus of course the 2hander will be auto-stunned after a stab where the polearm actually stuns the opponent).

But Black Milk doesn't have to tell me anything, I know well enough that I should deduct some of the reach from poles due to the animations (and as such changes nothing about my comment that the two classes overall seemed balanced enough in regards to reach and speed), what kind of strange comment is that even, Dezi?

Also, the lolhammer is an anomaly and hardly representable for neither 2handers nor weapons in WB in general  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:45:34 am by Angantyr »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2012, 01:05:31 am »
I noticed some different behavior the last 2 day. The accuracy and damage of bows seems to be even more nerfed now. At first I just thought its my imagination but the hornbow surely was not this inaccurate. Sometimes I missed stationary targets at mid range what was not the case 3 days ago.

Then I noticed that all of a sudden 80% of my headshots are not lethal anymore. "OK" I thought, maybe I just shot very highly armored targets. THEN however I took out my longbow + loomed bodkins + 8PD and shot peoples heads happily and they refused to die. Just some minutes ago I shot someone 5 times in the body with this build/equip without lethal result. When I shot someones head and it took 3 additional bodyshots to kill him I seriously was not sure if this is some kind of a new cheat or something.

Did archery get nerfed again ? Is this a joke of some kind ? Is it april fools ? Halloween ? ...

Edit: Oh and I just want to point out that "ghost arrows" seem to occur at a 40% chance now instead of the usual 30%. Wtf is happening to this mod ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:07:58 am by XyNox »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2012, 01:31:10 am »
But I hope we can agree on so much that you can still lol/swingstab with poles and not as well with 2handers (plus of course the 2hander will be auto-stunned after a stab where the polearm actually stuns the opponent).

Polearms doesn't stun the enemy with a stun, they get stunned like the two-hander. Two-hander have higher range on the stab and therefore a bit longer stun compared to the polearms. Both polearms and two-handers can be hit by unblockable strikes if they use a stab on a shield/block.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:06 am »
Yes, but it also depends on the weight of the weapon and that of the weapon or shield blocking.

Edit:
Ah, see the misunderstanding now, was still talking about top tier polearms compared to top tier 2handers there, not all poles in general.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:55:15 am by Angantyr »