Poll

What do you think about the archery nerf?

I am a ranged fighter and I think it is great!
30 (13.3%)
I am a ranged fighter and I think it was basically okay, but the values were too extreme
25 (11.1%)
I am a ranged fighter and I think the nerf was not needed at all.
42 (18.6%)
I am no ranged fighter and I think it is great!
47 (20.8%)
I am no ranged fighter and I think it was basically okay, but the values were too extreme
29 (12.8%)
I am no ranged fighter and I think the nerf was not needed at all.
53 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Author Topic: What do you think abut the archery nerf?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: What do you think abut the archery nerf?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »
+1
I'm melee and imo it was a buff to archery, i pretty much never died to archery before this patch maybe sometimes to very good archers but i could pretty much take alot of arrows or just block them with my shield. Now that they got the buff i actually die to lucky headshots from time to time, but i dont mind. Imo it should only be changed on archery but xbows should have the previous damage system as arbalest seems to be pretty damn weak now.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MadJackMcMad

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Hawk the Slayer's Rubbish.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Grumpy, 22nd_MadJackMcMad
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:56 pm »
U miss a option saying  :arrow: I dont give a flying fuck

Yet you post in every thread regarding it.
ABSURDITY, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »
Not needed.  Did anyone fear ranged before the nerf?  Was it ever like "oh shit!  My enemy has got a ranged weapon!"  No...these weapons were never known for their battlefield prowess.

Exactly.  Finally the voice of reason.

Offline LastKaze

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LastKaze
  • IRC nick: LastKaze
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Instead of nerfing the damage done by arbalests, I suggest that all xbows should be "Can't be used on horseback" that way we can finally remove those trolling xbow cavs, and all xbows should be 2 slots except for the hunting crossbow. Also before the patch you could already 1 shot kill people in the head with an arbalest, this patch was a fail and had no thinking behind it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:34:25 pm by LastKaze »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline copper

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD, Unicorns, Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Copper, Copper_Unicorns, Copper_BRD
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »
+2
The problem with nerfing ranged like this is that archery is a specialization. You need to pour all of your WPF into archery to be effective at it. People bitch about archers running away, but that's because they don't generally have any PS or WPF in a melee weapon. Now, not only are you ineffectual at melee, but the one thing you're supposed to be good at is fucked. This patch makes hybrid archer classes entirely useless. Not only is the damage nerfed, but they changed the mechanics; I notice a LOT of arrows going through guys and seemingly missing the hitbox. Finally, how can you nerf something this badly and still give archers the same amount of ammo? Anything but bodkins are now essentially useless and you don't get very many of them. I could exhaust an entire quiver of masterworked regular arrows taking down a guy in heavy armor. If they don't want archery to be part of the game they should just remove it.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:25 pm »
I think with the newest changes, archers need to focus on different targets, such as light cavalry and infantry. Different role. As far as the other range classes, I dunno.

Part of me is happy that Gothic Plate actually is worth a damn against arrows.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
After this patch I pretty much just ignore ranged unless I'm not wearing my heavy armor or I have 1/20 of my health left.
And how!

Offline WSC_Sorokopud

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sorokopud
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:09 pm »
I always played an infantry shielder and i think that New archery nerf just made game unrealistic. Too unrealistic!!!
Arbalest with its slow reload time should kill from 1 or 2 bolts. And arrows are now like a toothpicks in mine armor.
But Bodkin arrows were invented specially to penetrate
plated armours, but they don't, unfortunately.
Mail armour should be penetrated by all types of arrows because all impulse from an arrow goes to 1 ring....

Anyway Arrows, Spears and Shields were the main power in all kind of battles in history.

The thing that must be nerfed are 2handed swords, they cost too low.
I use to fight in a real life with medieval kind of weapons and i know what i'm saying.
Dont you think it is stupid when everyone uses 2handed weapon on the battlefield?
People must be afraid of arrows and try to cover behind shields.

Unfortunately not everyone likes to play Strategus for which this patch was made. A lot of people just love cRPG. And it is terrible when some classes are being nerfed to be a supporting class. Archers always were the great power on the battlefield in history.

So many 2handers look too unrealistic, especially 2handed swords, as it was a weapon of Knights and Officers to use mainly on tournaments. Pike and a halberd is an infantry weapon. So i think price on 2handed swords must be a lot higher.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »
+1
I always played an infantry shielder and i think that New archery nerf just made game unrealistic. Too unrealistic!!!

Long bows with bodkins had problems penetrating plate unless within 20 yards, and even then had lackluster performance.

Anyway Arrows, Spears and Shields were the main power in all kind of battles in history.

In what time period? 1150? Sure. 1450? Not the coldest chance in hell. From 1300-1400 and forward warfare changed drastically in what was used. Pikes were dominant, heavy armour was normal, and shields fell to the wayside for two handed weaponry. Crossbows, though outlawed by the Catholic Church for use against Christans, were rather popular especially in the Italian regions as time progressed. As Feudal armies owned by lords were quickly replaced by Armies of the State, shields were pretty much uncommon or simply rare.

In the renaissance, the "medieval" period was renamed the dark ages to try and promote some sort of propaganda in how "great" society had become, and polluted further tales, making Knights all use swords and shields and shiny plate even before they had it, use exaggerated codes of chivalry, and even corrupted tales with nonsense (such as the fabrication of Sir Lancelot, who was not part of the original tales of King Arthur).

You will find that proper medieval warfare evolved quickly, and is not at all what the renaissance nor what Hollywood has portrayed it to be.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:22:49 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline WSC_Sorokopud

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Sorokopud
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »
Please dont forget about a fact that heavy plated armor was too expensive. But now in this mod even mail armour or fucking Kuyaks are not being penetrated by bodkins...

And also, if Xbow was outlawed for a short period of time in history, should it be Nerfed and be so unrealistic in game?

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 10:50:32 pm »
All I'm gonna say bout this thread is that good archers still topping scoreboards...

"Nerf" just splited good archers from shitty spammers!

Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 10:53:41 pm »
"Nerf" just splited good archers from shitty spammers!
Now if we could only do the same for melee and cav.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 11:05:44 pm »

They are separated on field...
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 11:21:33 pm »

i heard that lance angle nerf was suppose to keep good cav from bad, at least it was one of the reasons for it, that it increased skill needed
outside of the most obvious realism argument that horseman's spine couldnt handle hits on that angle!

so lets norrow it down to melee ;p

Offline Duke

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 01:42:27 am »
Archers do not need to have a high kill count (they should have a high assist count
Call me when someone actually adds an assist count to this game.
(believe me, I really wish there were one).