Author Topic: Do your part for internet freedom. Sign the PiPa/sopa petition  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
Re: Do your part for internet freedom. Sign the PiPa/sopa petition
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 03:26:38 am »
^ NAME COPYER

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 03:47:47 am »
^ NAME COPYER

I am afraid, good sir, that I have been registered longer than you, and that as such it is YOU that is the name copier :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 04:08:39 am »
well of course, this sopa thingy and pipi whatever is all bullshit - no doubt.

but I can not believe that they actually consider censoring the internet.
now, don't think I am naive or something, hell no! I guess people could actually adapt (as in: when it's passed) to such an act of stupidity - but what is more likely is that it'll cause some great uproar and big action that causes much trouble and eventually destroys the system ... har har
... do you think anybody would be that stupid? ... oh! I'm willing to accept a lot of stupidity! but here it seems more like a BIG diversionary tactic to me ...
great corporations, interested in having an anti piracy something, can't seriously have more power that google ITSELF - I mean, what? someone shuts down google?! no way! first who shuts down google get's cut off himself, even if it's the US government, lol!
[in fact, the US government, or court, or dunno-who can't be the one deciding shit here, in fact the US is shoulder-deep in debt, they can't even shit without anybody taking an interest, same with every other government of any other country in the world. who got the money, got the debtors, and they do what he wants] [that's no conspiracy theory, I hope you see that]

as I said, it's a big fuzz, I stirs up a lot but I wouldn't take it too seriously ... and even if I'm wrong: I'm up for some creative, cooperative rebellion! show them who's boss  :mrgreen:

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 04:29:18 am »
Possible... though honestly I think it's more a combination of plain stupidity and corruption.

Fun fact: take two semesters of college economics and you have more formal economics training than most of our congressmen.  :?

Offline Dom.Miguel

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Dom_Miguel, Telescopica, Jotunn and many others...
  • IRC nick: Dom.Miguel
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:41 am »
Possible... though honestly I think it's more a combination of plain stupidity and corruption.

Fun fact: take two semesters of college economics and you have more formal economics training than most of our congressmen.  :?

If you go to high school you probably have more brains then your congressmen

Thank you Khorin

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:33 am »
I don't fully understand the motivations behind this bill: perhaps it can be simply explained with such things as corporate greed, institutionalized stupidity, or even a disturbing trend toward authoritarian control by the government.  Perhaps there are even individuals who are motivated by a genuine desire to see our (the U.S.'s) economy turn from a gradual downward trend, and revitalize it in some manner.   SOPA and PIPA will inhibit growth and freedom, and I do not care which one is your primary concern, because limiting both will only lead to problems in the future.

This isn't just a problem for us in the U.S. as some have stated.  No, we don't set policy for the entire world (no matter how much it can be argued we try), but any large, stable, modern liberal democracy passing such a bill sets a precedent for other large, stable, modern liberal democracies..  Europe is home to many of those, and it won't simply stop with those nations either.  I realize I'm largely preaching to a choir about this, but if one person reads what I've written and decides to take steps to help prevent any action toward internet censorship, then there hasn't been any wasted effort.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:25 am »
i need my "Free music/tv show/movie/game"  Downloads!  :cry:   And if this shit happens  and EU follows USA  , i will move to russia and live happy life the end.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:07:41 am by joosto »
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 08:34:36 am »
Just found this, thought I should share  :P

Wait what ?

Acting against a lion that escaped the zoo by going flamethrower on kittens  :mrgreen:

Best analogy I've ever seen.  :lol:

[in fact, the US government, or court, or dunno-who can't be the one deciding shit here, in fact the US is shoulder-deep in debt, they can't even shit without anybody taking an interest, same with every other government of any other country in the world. who got the money, got the debtors, and they do what he wants] [that's no conspiracy theory, I hope you see that]

Well in my eyes it is the prototype of the conspiracy theory. Maybe not hard as the egyptian-templar-illuminati-freemason-jew riding unicorns and controlling the world. But just as bad. Those who got the money don't necesarily have the government that owe money to them under their feet. If the government (or whatever part of it) decides not to give your money back, you're screwed. And that's exactly what is happening with -for example- some towns in france that refuse to pay interest of ("rogue", since they didn't knew what they were really signing) variable-rate loans from failbanks (rates went x10 so you can understand).

Just like with any geopolitical/financial relation between two entities of decent size, no one is independant from the other. The debtors have the government balls just as the government has the debtor balls, which tends to balance things up.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:56 am »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:55 am »
This is the best thing that might ever happen to internet!

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Support-The-Daily-WTF-in-Supporting-the-Support-SOPA-Movement.aspx

:lol: Great article. Sadly it seems it was lost on some people that this was satire.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »
That guy is both hopeless and clueless about it. And please note the 3 year old syntax.

https://twitter.com/#!/rupertmurdoch

Best tactic : wait till those braindead grandpas actually die in a world they no longer understand.

And don't forget to check my favorite website. Hilarous as always. http://shelleytherepublican.com/

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:10 pm »
This isn't just a problem for us in the U.S. as some have stated.  No, we don't set policy for the entire world (no matter how much it can be argued we try), but any large, stable, modern liberal democracy passing such a bill sets a precedent for other large, stable, modern liberal democracies..  Europe is home to many of those, and it won't simply stop with those nations either.  I realize I'm largely preaching to a choir about this, but if one person reads what I've written and decides to take steps to help prevent any action toward internet censorship, then there hasn't been any wasted effort.
Curious argument, and the polar opposite of the one usually advanced for the Tobin Tax: if our country does it before anyone else, all our business will just leave for foreign shores. Here you're arguing that if the US disadvantages itself with respect to Internet freedom, the rest of the World will play monkey see, monkey do. I'm an old cynic and for me, we're living in the period of Net freedom which is going to end: before long the politicians and bureaucrats, applauded by big business (especially the likes of Murdoch, who just wants the whole thing to go away because he doesn't like the idea of something if he can't tell it what to do) will close the loophole and it will be as locked down as what's on TV.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »
Those who got the money don't necesarily have the government that owe money to them under their feet. If the government (or whatever part of it) decides not to give your money back, you're screwed. And that's exactly what is happening with -for example- some towns in france that refuse to pay interest of ("rogue", since they didn't knew what they were really signing) variable-rate loans from failbanks (rates went x10 so you can understand).
Fair enough. Some towns, eh? Nice to see some people have the guts to say no. Can't tell of anything like that happening in f**king Germany, bah.

All I see here is out-sourcing at every corner. Take transport for example: the 'deutsche bahn' (german railroad company) is getting out-sourced more and more, it doesn't work any more! even the best and fastest trains with the highest technology (ICE) have technical issues every snowfall because of frost damage! what minor reasons, wtf? They can't afford anti-frost oil, or something? Is that the vowed german engineering? ... this is the bahn getting fit for the stock market. It's already only 51% state-owned. you see that kind of scheme everywhere! US, France, UK, ... wherever!
Now, my point is: this is not happening because it might benefit us in any way (as for the example, whole railroad lines were took off the network), it is more a way of some smaller groups to use their power to extend it by sending lobbists and take out whole structures that might interfere with their means (in my example car industry, maybe), and all that through the hands of voted governments, bypassing laws and everything.
For all this shit they 'have to' cut off education, healthcare, and even production (which gets out-sourced to countries where people get payed less). It's sick if anything. You know the trick Kafein, I know what your signature is about, I knew it before. Look at the funny big difference from war-money to money spend on useful things ... funny as hell.

You're able to see the whole same pattern in the PiPa/sopa stuff aswell. I think they try to make us 'ready' for accepting that our 'freedom' of speech and freedom of information might be regulated in the ways the money flows. They try it with this fuzz first, because most people will eventually (have to) give in to live with it at one point. I for one can't watch many videos on youtube, because of some GEMA music-copyright-issue regulations already! There are ways and means to evade that problem, but in most cases I don't evade it and simply don't watch the vids. That is frightening! Because if it works on this it works on the whole internet!
Yes, but then you'd have a pissed off google company! ha!
That's why it won't happen ... not in such a simple way.

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)