Author Topic: Gold inflation ?  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
Re: Gold inflation ?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:31:45 am »
This is the reason why looms become more expensive, not inflation. Inflation happens when the amount of currency increases, but the amount of resources stay the same, leading to the devaluation of currency.
Technically there is an increase in resources, as people are constantly making more heirlooms, and very few people delete their heirlooms. But I agree that it is not the issue.

Offline Oggrinsky

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sons of Zardoz
  • Game nicks: Tzadik_Oggrinsky, Ghazi_Suleiman, MissOggynistic
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:47 am »
FEAR THE INVISIBLE HAND!  :twisted:

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 04:53:14 am »
FEAR THE INVISIBLE HAND!  :twisted:
Don't bite the invisible hand that feeds invisible food of invisibility.  :?:

Offline Nagasoup

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Donkey
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:16 am »
Technically there is an increase in resources, as people are constantly making more heirlooms, and very few people delete their heirlooms. But I agree that it is not the issue.

Ugh... yea... read my sentence right below that....

Offline VR__Alv

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:30 am »
Fuck the system sell  your MW's for 5g!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
It may seem daunting for a fresh player, but still, it is a great idea for them to sell loompoints since basically 2 loom points + a little is a MW item in money.

So it ain't that bad.. 2 generations for a MW item. (Before it used to be 3)

Which only works if the things you want are on the market. I would like to buy some black lamellar vest, but I have never seen any. And as long as you cant put gold offers on the market, its almost useless for me. I try to make some money in my current gens but I more and more get the doubt that its completely useless as the prizes rise more and more and I cant buy anything useful for my hardly earned money. Well maybe loompoints only, though that process is a bit complicated and risky.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:31:49 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:56 pm »
As long as people are willing to pay the prices will continue to rise, there is no need to "regulate" the market, it regulates itself, the prices will never reach a point where no one can afford them, everyone can trade therefore the competition is too great for a monopoly to exist, it is the buyers that really control the market. The freer the market, the freer the players.

Hugely untrue and a false sense of market regulation.

If we're going to draw a realistic parallel then "Printing Money" equals "Selling Loom Points" and "Grinding Gold" in-game equals the 'earnings' you would do through "Work".

Some (a lot) have enough looms to fill a full set, plus a few extra weapon looms or armor looms to switch to if wanted. Top of that they're loaded with gold due to having sold 1-3 of these extra looms.
Why would anyone spend gold when they can trade a loom if they need something, and if they need more gold they'd just sell a loom point once in a while.

Most gold today is even spent on Loom Points where the prices are on an all-time high.

Gold prices will continue to rise through the roof because 'the people' can effectively "print money" plus setting their value - this offsets the balance.

Regulate the prices on Loom Points.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »
Hugely untrue and a false sense of market regulation.

If we're going to draw a realistic parallel then "Printing Money" equals "Selling Loom Points" and "Grinding Gold" in-game equals the 'earnings' you would do through "Work".

Some (a lot) have enough looms to fill a full set, plus a few extra weapon looms or armor looms to switch to if wanted. Top of that they're loaded with gold due to having sold 1-3 of these extra looms.
Why would anyone spend gold when they can trade a loom if they need something, and if they need more gold they'd just sell a loom point once in a while.

Most gold today is even spent on Loom Points where the prices are on an all-time high.

Gold prices will continue to rise through the roof because 'the people' can effectively "print money" plus setting their value - this offsets the balance.

Regulate the prices on Loom Points.

Printing money = A loan (look it up) not someone buying it for gold they "earned" by playing.

The gold inflation is probably because not many people use gear that doesn't give them profit in the long run. Doesn't help that wearing the best gear is often considered actually worse then just using light to medium armor :P

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 02:14:00 pm »
This is only problem for the
(click to show/hide)
   :twisted:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
Printing money = A loan (look it up) not someone buying it for gold they "earned" by playing.

The gold inflation is probably because not many people use gear that doesn't give them profit in the long run. Doesn't help that wearing the best gear is often considered actually worse then just using light to medium armor :P

Yes, when we sell Loom Points in C-RPG we 'loan money from an institution' - or wait :rolleyes: Anti-Regulators, bah! Scum as in real life. :twisted:

I'll detail it so you can easier comprehend unless you're going to nitpick one part easily understood and make it stupid. :wink:

Money is MADE in C-RPG all the time by people playing, this is called 'the multiplier of goldness' top of that when people hit level 31 they have the option of equally turning one of their items into "gold" - nowadays around 500k to 600k gold, used to be around 300k - this effectively puts more gold into the market because this item is now worth X amount of gold, it is AS GOOD AS GOLD if not better. Yes there is only a certain amount of gold in the game from people actually grinding, but if you would take just a slight second to screenshot the system text after a round ends you can figure out how much gold is on average floating around plus being made.

Selling loom points at outrageous prices is what drives up the overall prices, people will always somewhat multiply the cost of their items by the cost of a loom point. They will continue to do so until we hit some insanely high price where people then stop buying, but why do we want to wait for the bubble to burst just regulate the market and be done with it, this isn't real anyway and doing so would be for the better of the community and game.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Arkonor

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Arkonor
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 02:25:49 pm »
Money is MADE in C-RPG all the time by people playing, this is called 'the multiplier of goldness' top of that when people hit level 31 they have the option of equally turning one of their items into "gold" - nowadays around 500k to 600k gold, used to be around 300k - this effectively puts more gold into the market because this item is now worth X amount of gold, it is AS GOOD AS GOLD if not better.

This is simply not how the world works :)

If I were a magician in real life and would create 10 million barrels of oil and then sell them I would not have impacted the total amount of money in the world the slightest. Only loans with interests inflate.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:33 pm »
I do not believe in regulating the prices of looms.

It is obvious that some looms are worth far more because they are far more popular.

Bad weapons are like miewodao and arrows.

Good items are like armor etc.

let prices flow freely.

Edit: The only real issue I have with the market is when balancing changes suddenly alter weapons completely.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:36:15 pm by Tristan »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 02:35:44 pm »
This is simply not how the world works :)

If I were a magician in real life and would create 10 million barrels of oil and then sell them I would not have impacted the total amount of money in the world the slightest. Only loans with interests inflate.

CRPG != Real World.

I find it troubling that you cannot comprehend that even with all the detailed writing beforehand in regards to drawing parallels.

BUT, Iceland were also the first Country to be completely raped by the banking industry where after an Australian had to come up and teach you how to properly handle money.

... and yet you still do not grasp the need for regulation and oversight in general :).

Regulate the market. End of story.

PS: Magicians are illusionists. Magic do not exist :P (Yes low blow)

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 02:46:38 pm »
There is potentially a price bubble that might burst. Fortunately no one will lose their livelihood and it's all good fun! Say no to regulation!

Money offers for items would be very good though.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »
Sure, let the bubble burst, but that is not in favor of the overall community, only to those who will rank in a lot of gold based on this, for no other apparent reason than just having it and for what? For a "Free market"? :lol:

I personally have no stake or bias in this, I have a full set of heirlooms (generation 17) with 1 extra for trading plus gold enough to buy another. I'm set. I stopped retiring ages ago and I do not need or want anything, I'm where I want to be which is being able to log-on when I want to and play how I want to, there's no rat race for leveling to be able to play properly or participate in an event - just as I like it.

(click to show/hide)

Anyway I welcome our new heirloom overlords. May their reign be brutal and bloody.