Author Topic: Suggestion: Polearms glance when enemies are close.  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Polearms glance when enemies are close.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:47 am »
Why?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 12:35:33 am »
Cause I know best, remember that one ;)
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 12:55:45 am »
Touché.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 01:00:14 am »
Thomek's criminal energy in terms of lobbying always surprises me.

Lol Sig-worthy.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 04:25:35 am »
I reckon this kinda balance is great, it makes the game feel a bit more like an actual battlefield rather than a load of nobles acting out their fantasies (by that I mean this can feel like an elitists game). I want to see peasants with spears (the militia of medieval times) to gang up and stab up a foolish duelist noble who got cocky (this would be the self proclaimed 'skilled players' in cRPG). I want to see those big noble tears drop as they get piled on by newbies with large rocks (oooh can we have a bigger version of stones introduced, but melee only, the hilarity of beating a guy down with a large rock!).
There is isn't much reason to play a multiplayer game in which player skill is not a large factor. At that point, you may as well be playing roulette.

The feeling of continuously getting better is what keeps a game fun. If you hit a point where you can't get better (or where it has no impact on the game), then there's not much reason to keep playing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:02:55 am by Vodner »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:36 am »
Thomek, let me tell you this:

In close range, I already glance a fuckton, while Mr. Swordsman, let it be 1 or 2h, can deal full damage to me from any angle, even the most absurd and illogical ones, like from behind, or when I'm passing his actual arc, he still catches me.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:32:04 am by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:47 am »
Dunno if this is possible with WSE.. :)

Makes sense.. Polearms are based on a wooden pole, after all. The change should be offset by a buff to damage if the polearmer lands a good hit at the right range.

This would make them completely different from 2h of course. Requiring a different way of fighting, where range control is much more important. It is also somewhat realistic.. (Of course a polearmer could change his grip etc, but this could be the alternate mode?

Just an idea, dunno if anyone kicks on it.

yeah makes sense, i had the same idea. for example hafted blade should only demage at the end of the staff where the blade is located. this would also give the opportunity to remove these ridicoulous, unralistic OP greatsword stabs.
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »

In close range, I already glance a fuckton, while Mr. Swordsman, let it be 1 or 2h, can deal full damage to me from any angle, even the most absurd and illogical ones, like from behind, or when I'm passing his actual arc, he still catches me.

I happen to have the exact opposite experience. I glance a fuckton with 2h and 1h stabs, as many people I watch. But polearms ? No problem. Even pikes manage to do damage when you are halfway into them.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »
tought this was a whine thread  :shock:

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 01:38:43 pm »
+1
There is isn't much reason to play a multiplayer game in which player skill is not a large factor. At that point, you may as well be playing roulette.

The feeling of continuously getting better is what keeps a game fun. If you hit a point where you can't get better (or where it has no impact on the game), then there's not much reason to keep playing.

Skill is a factor and always should be, but skill should not get you out of situations that only excessive stupidity and cockiness got you into. In a way you could say that picking your battles is more skillful than being able to fend off 2 players at a time ;)

I by no means am saying everyone should be equal in skill, I am just saying I want the game to be less forgiving to players who think their skill with a sword overides their common sense. If you get into a fight with 4 peasants with pitch forks, you should get ganked by them if they are clever enough, whatever level you are, not be able to spam your way out and go 'Hells yes! I am so fricking awesomeeeee!'.
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »
Skill is a factor and always should be, but skill should not get you out of situations that only excessive stupidity and cockiness got you into. In a way you could say that picking your battles is more skillful than being able to fend off 2 players at a time ;)

Chance says you're fucked!

I by no means am saying everyone should be equal in skill, I am just saying I want the game to be less forgiving to players who think their skill with a sword overides their common sense. If you get into a fight with 4 peasants with pitch forks, you should get ganked by them if they are clever enough, whatever level you are, not be able to spam your way out and go 'Hells yes! I am so fricking awesomeeeee!'.

Hurray for fun!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »
I agree that the game should encourage more teamplay, otherwise there is no point in making it team deathmatch, if only skill should count it should be deathmatch free for all.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 02:08:39 pm »

Bullshit, the glancing in both weapon classes is equally, if not less for polearms. Point blank the stab from a under 150 length polearm rarely glances, even without spinning. The 2h stab always glances at point blank unless its elaborately spun.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 02:20:26 pm »
If you get into a fight with 4 peasants with pitch forks, you should get ganked by them if they are clever enough, whatever level you are,

Ah, I understand now.

That's in already. No one can block 4 attack directions at the same time. Odds are that the peasants aren't that clever though and are all going for the kill, instead of one distracting the rest hitting.

This is why you see clans winning over random teams usually. They work as a team, and overwhelm randomers. The randomers run around and get killed off while hunting for easy kills.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »
Rock paper scissors = Outnumbered players always lose regardless how bad the players are who's attacking the "noble"(the outnumbered one).

Wrong. It depends on the composition of both forces in a RPS scenario, also whether the attacker can choose to engage or not.

Don't get me all wrong here.. It's not black or white. Skill should have a great say, but as it is now it doesn't matter much what weapon the skilled person is using..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.