Author Topic: Thoughts on how to fix throwing, if it even needs to be fix  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
Re: Thoughts on how to fix throwing, if it even needs to be fix
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:08 am »
Dude you were on the NA servers earlier today for over an hour, so... what are YOU talking about?   :?

Dreaming about me playing with you. I appreciate such a worshiping.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 06:37:58 am »
Dreaming about me playing with you. I appreciate such a worshiping.
  :shock: plz keeps post in here about throwing

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:45 am »
Native has such a boner about throwing.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:38 am »
Well put Native.

My main character is a bec user, my two highest level alts are a sword n board and a dedicated thrower. Raising the requirements on low tier throwing would be a simple and effective fix.

The main issue with throwing is that it is too accessible for hybrids. Forcing PT on items like war darts to 4 would stave off most of the effects of this issue.  When I am on my main, 1 v 1 against a thrower, I have little problem avoiding thrown missiles, even without a shield. When you fit multiple opponents in the mix, even if its still an even match up, avoiding projectiles becomes an issue. I think the damage, number of weapons per stack, and accuracy are all fine, but the accessibility of thrown weapons is the real problem.

Bear in mind: throwers may do more damage than a bow, but they severely lack the range, projectile speed (this is a huge disadvantage,)  accuracy and ammo of a bow user. This means you need to be in the cluster-fuck of combat to make your few weapons count. The major draw-back of this is that you don't have a decent melee weapon if you're a dedicated thrower.

Ever tried to fight someone off with a javalin in melee? It ain't pretty. You can't run away either because you have very few points in agility/athletics.

Throwers are quite unique in c-RPG. Don't nerf them into oblivion because of cryers like this guy
Native has such a boner about throwing.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 08:05:04 am »
lower stack size. go ahead and make them MORE accurate. Oh wait.. said that months ago.

The real problem is the sheer abundance of ranged combat - don't any of you fuckers fight?
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:24 am »
I'd rather not have that Zisa. With 11 pt, war darts are already pinpoint accurate, and a great weapon to get head shots with. Making all throwing weapons more accurate would actually add to the problem of hybrid-throw spamming, since you would need less total power throw to be effective.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »
Oh boy, another throwing topic. Ok, I'm a thrower and here is my take on a proper nerf to throwing so these spam kids can't do this shit anymore.

Well, to fix throwing without it being stupid you need to: 1. Make it not spammable. 2. Make it more skill based/investment required.
This is pretty simple to do. You slow down the animation for throwing much like for archers (or just lower the weapon speed, that is easier) which makes it less spammable, ALSO, you can increase the weight of throwing stacks so if you run in with 4 stacks of throwing axes for example, YOU ARE SLOWER FROM ALL THE WEIGHT :D . Suddenly spam is way less viable.

As for making throwing more skill based / also actual investment into stats you have to make WPF do more and PT do less (which they can't do until WSE is implemented I don't think? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.). Currently PT does way more than WPF so most people are 1 wpf throwing just fine.
So throwing damage lowered, accuracy increased and make it require a WPF investment to be useful.

Ah well, I just hope it is nerfed in a logical manner. Maybe something we haven't thought of.
**I think throwing lances are retarded, you shouldn't have a onehit kill weapon based on LUCK not SKILL. I feel bad being a thrower because that shit exists.
Someone at least acknowledge the post, don't get so distracted by balton.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:54 pm »
I think the easiest way is to just increase the cost of throwing weapons, hey you are throwing them away right?
Means they are gone! No repair, replacement! Ok that's a realism crap arguement, the full price would be far too harsh,
just so that it is not affordable anymore to run around in mail with shield+expensive sword and 2 stacks of "throw for an easy kill stuff".
It worked for heavy bumper horses and xbows, now do it against the throw spam.
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 05:39:05 pm »
Let me block with rocks and I'll use those from now on.

Throwing rocks deal blunt damage and with 11 PT, they hurt, they're pinpoint accurate and the range is pretty good. I don't use em much, because I can't block with them in melee.

The only weapons I 1-shot people with are the jarids and throwing lances. With all the others, the receivers are either allready softened up or ninja agility stackers in low armour.

Add to that, it's pretty damn hard to hit an aware target and to be even remotely accurate (hit what you aim for) you need to be pretty close to the fight. I've had occasions where the ninja would leave his current target, zig-zag his way up to me and kill me. With 7 athletics, I can get 2 axes off tops before he reaches me. My only chance is if he runs the last meter in a straight line so I can toss an axe in his chest.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 07:47:31 pm »
What I can tell you ALL.

Requirement in throwing weapons is a "mirror" of accuracy. Why? Since PT every point above req is increasing accuracy, thats why for example rocks with 10PT are pinpoint accurate.

So, if you will increase req, you have reached two points of nerfing out of (IMO) 4 available.

1. Less hybrid throwers.
2. Worse accuracy of throwing weapons, because, since you can get "only" 14 PT on 31 lvl, even rocks, if 0 < req < 3, will be much less accurate.

Third point of nerf should be decreasing dmg of throwing weapons, for, lets say, 15%.

Fourth point of nerf should be decreasing amount of ammo in every stack by 1.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:48 pm »
You do understand having lower accuracy promotes spamming and luck based play rather than skill based play.
Although that being said, raising requirements is not bad idea but don't go about it in a way that is not conducive to players needing some skill.

Rocks aren't pinpoint, but they do get pretty damn accurate -- however, don't discriminate stones apart from the other 0 point throwing weapons like snowflakes.

Let me block with rocks and I'll use those from now on.
It is called chambering. I do it all day with mine all the time -- My entire generation currently is a gimmick on stones, even using them for melee.
Its caused some bad side effects. You can't block, so my manual blocking has gotten bad since I have to chamber to block with my stones. I now chamber better than I manual block as a result :P. Try it out some time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:17:07 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »
On my throwing char, rocks are indeed pinpoint accurate. The only reason they miss is because of the laughably slow projectile speed.  If someone is standing still, afk, with stones I have a guarenteed headshot. If they don't change walking direction, I have a guarenteed headshot

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
oh if they do nerf throwing i say they up the fighting skill with the weapon  :mrgreen: hit some with a stone for 18b  :D

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 06:40:52 am »
With the WSE that cmpx made, it may be possible for the dev team to change the requirements for weapons to be WPF based, instead of attribute.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 06:48:12 am »
I'm on my second gen using throwing. I love it and I also feel its overpowered - a bit. I have 27-30 strength and 8-9 PT. I used heavy axes. The people I one shot a)wear cloth/leather, b)agi build(16 str or less). I don't one shot plate-wearers or chainmail types. Since there is more low tier armor out there due to repair costs, there is more bitching, as if throwing suddenly, mysteriously got stronger somewhere.

The problems I see are the amount of throwers. There are so many because the PT requirements are too low and throwing really does not require any wpf to be effective. You can spam them into crowds and get a kill or two. WPF should be more of a factor for accuracy, damage and speed. If proficiency was more important, I think there would be less people dabbling in throwing with PT only. If I have 100 in throwing and PT 8-9, I think I should be able to be as effective as I am now. I don't think there should be any changes to throwing if you are at the upper end of PT and wpf. Its the lower end that needs adjusting.

I dont believe the loadout should be less. If you use lances, you only get two anyway. Axes and jarids, you get 4. Most of the time, you cannot get them back.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuckĀ’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch