Poll

I can't get no Map-isfaction..!

I'm satisfied with the current selection of maps
I'm moderately satisfied with the current selection of maps
I 'm not satisfied with the current selection of maps and I wish to make my voice heard in this thread!
Maps are horrible, add more maps that cater to my class!
Maps are horrible, I hate you

Author Topic: [Feedback] Maps on official servers  (Read 44884 times)

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
Re: [Feedback] Maps on official servers
« Reply #495 on: March 30, 2013, 02:24:19 am »
+1
NA1 rotation needs some more variation.

New maps should be given places earlier in the rotation.  Native villages should be near the end of the rotation.

The only map worthy of being in rotation multiple times is something like Battle of the Mounds where every class loves it, or Arena where rounds are very short.

I am still not sure why Arena isn't in rotation.  Maps with short round durations are definitely preferable.  If a map is polarizing (and most are) it's GREATLY preferred to have short rounds.  When a map goes 7 minutes a round and goes 7 rounds its damn near an hour of the same map.  This is frustrating for a lot of players besides me I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:46:44 am by obitus »

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #496 on: March 30, 2013, 03:51:38 am »
I agree arena is a fun map. Putting new maps earlier or later on the rotation wouldn't change much imo. Since you still have to go through all the other maps to get back to them. I would prefer if they just mixed up all the maps so that there is variation.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 30, 2013, 10:23:56 am »
I don't know what it is, but I always seem to end up playing the same maps. And those maps mostly consist of grassy hills with some ruins in it, we have like 8 of those. I find it strange how I encounter so little variation while I play. I can not even recall when I last played some of the maps I see listed in the rotation. How does the system work? Does it just go down a list? Or does it shuffle?

Also, Agania is in the EU_4 rotation, I always enjoyed that as a battle map and it would be fine on EU_1. A good balance between cover and open space without much chokepoints which keeps the fight flowing. The list is also outdated by the way.

Offline Fips

• Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #498 on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
I could imagine that the fucked up names also affect the actual map-cycle.

I see many new map-names when i qmu/qmd maps, but they are never actually played. For example, Helms Deep is in the Siege-Cycle as some native desert-map, but since the latest hotfix i haven't seen it on the server (And the log showed i downloaded the latest version, so why delete it from the cycle?).

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 30, 2013, 10:06:17 pm »
+1
I agree arena is a fun map. Putting new maps earlier or later on the rotation wouldn't change much imo. Since you still have to go through all the other maps to get back to them.

This isn't entirely accurate.  Maps near the beginning of the cycle are played more often due to server restarts.  Some maps are in the rotation more than once, like Crop Rotation (good map at least).  I think it's actually rather rare to get to the end of the rotation, since maps can last ~45 minutes sometimes and the server usually restarts before ever reaching them.

I don't know what it is, but I always seem to end up playing the same maps. And those maps mostly consist of grassy hills with some ruins in it, we have like 8 of those. I find it strange how I encounter so little variation while I play. I can not even recall when I last played some of the maps I see listed in the rotation. How does the system work? Does it just go down a list? Or does it shuffle?

It goes down a list.

I too dislike the similarity of maps, most notably the native villages.  To combat this I always make maps with unique settings, just to show how much maps CAN vary the gameplay.

Maps are quite honestly the worst part of this mod.  I am so happy to see *ANY* new maps.  One of these days when I play native_village_93 for the 500th time I am finally going to snap and start slaughtering my team until I get banned for a week
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:15:38 pm by obitus »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #500 on: April 02, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »
+1
This "Bay Keep" map is now a campfest for the team that spawns closer to this building. Please remove or fix this.
(click to show/hide)

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #501 on: April 07, 2013, 12:22:17 am »
rudkhan castle, the native (sarranid) map, is totally unbalanced now. the defenders have to choose between letting the flag getting capped or letting the attackers open. if they cap the flag it takes them 3 seconds with a few people. if they open the small gate, the whole map is fucked (that was basic defence before the siege beta: defend small gate, if they open it we are fucked)
please

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #502 on: April 08, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »

Also, Agania is in the EU_4 rotation, I always enjoyed that as a battle map and it would be fine on EU_1. A good balance between cover and open space without much chokepoints which keeps the fight flowing. The list is also outdated by the way.

Funny because on NA1 I always seem to play 4 or 5 "enclosed" maps in a row, which pretty much make cavalry useless.  I honestly don't mind having these maps in the rotation (if it means actual battle maps get played as well), I just wish the map rotations were randomized more often, because we keep getting closed off maps 4 or 5 in a row.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
+5
EU_2 Map - "Blank 4" [at least browser show this name, don't know the original one] have a bugged door, attackers can open it from outside. Maybe ss can let you recognize this map. Please fix this.
(click to show/hide)
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2013, 03:45:30 pm »
+2
EU_2 Map - "Blank 4" [at least browser show this name, don't know the original one] have a bugged door, attackers can open it from outside. Maybe ss can let you recognize this map. Please fix this.
(click to show/hide)
Dunno whether Jacko already had fixed it, but in case he hadn't I did. Turned the doors so they work correctly.

Fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zxdj5adp1tbcejx

This "Bay Keep" map is now a campfest for the team that spawns closer to this building. Please remove or fix this.
(click to show/hide)
Not sure who's map this is but I moved the stone a little that enabled jumping on the roof. I also took the liberty of moving the spawns a little because the one team reaches the buildings way before the other, leaving the others to charge through open terrain while being shot at.

Fixed version: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?p3hmxizrdmbdvqz

Now we'll have to wait on a patch  :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:50:01 pm by Teeth »

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 20, 2013, 08:48:59 am »
Finally snapped after seeing Wolves Cave for the second time in a few hours.  My char started attacking its team repeatedly, racking up a huge negative score before GTXting amidst cries of FUCK THIS MAO.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »
I've seen Native-Brunwud Castle now again after 1 year on the siege servers maybe more could you pls make it appear more often on siege?

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
Finally snapped after seeing Wolves Cave for the second time in a few hours.  My char started attacking its team repeatedly, racking up a huge negative score before GTXting amidst cries of FUCK THIS MAO.

So Wolves Cave came on twice in the space of FOUR MAPS.  Wolves cave, shitty native village, Port Assault, shitty native vilalge, then FUCKING WOLVES CAVE AGAIN GRAAAAAAAAAAAAH DIE WOLVES CAVE BLOW THIS MAP UP.  I HAVE PLAYED IT BILLIONS OF TIMES.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #508 on: May 06, 2013, 03:13:19 pm »
Remove RB Native Farm by Ruins. Most unfair map I ever saw. One team starts in a village-like area with tons of cover while the other team spawns in the open with absolutely no cover. It's ridiculous how unfair it is.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline ICEMAN1779

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:04 am »
For all you map makers. You will be lucky to have your map patch before they remove it. Been there done that..... Glad to see not a thing has changed.... Lol