Author Topic: Assists.  (Read 1065 times)

Offline JuniorD

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Assists.
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »
+2
I know it is possible. It would also make people (noobs) feel better about getting no kills.

Could also associate monetary gain and valour.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:55:41 pm by JuniorD »

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: Assists.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:11 am »
Thing is how will you show it?

Does damage done to a dead person count as assist? Well then you will have so many assists that noone will ever care about them^^
And how will you show assists that were made by just distracting an enemy? Doubt that will be able to show

Good idea though, but I doubt it is possible to make. People should actually know that many people assisted in kills and just because they are not top in the list doesn't mean they didn't do anything.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:02:09 am »
Would really like to see this added. I like playing support, and when I do I generally get very few kills, which is ok, but it would be nice to have at least a record of the assists I've made. Just add an assist whenever someone dies that you wounded, shouldn't be too hard.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:03:21 am »
Would be nice for classes like hoplites.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:39:07 am »
I don't like it to be honest.

1. You would have a massive number on a list that will just become overfilled. I for myself as one of the good archer this game has ( consider it as bragging if you want, but it's true) would get about 10-20 assists every round. What do I care about such big numbers? We win, I'm pleased.

2. We already have enough people who fly high because they consider themselves as the greates players out there and that would just cause even more braggery :/

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »
Maybe if you hit a target and wound him pretty badly, but then gets finished off by someone withing like 3 seconds of your attack = +1 assists.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Inkompetent

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Inkompetent, Ildov_Morekov, Fairhair_Sigurdr, MySushi_Inkomoto
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:26 pm »
+2
Assist aren't needed. Removal of K/D stats is what's needed. Either show damage done, or nothing at all.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »
Maybe if you hit a target and wound him pretty badly, but then gets finished off by someone withing like 3 seconds of your attack = +1 assists.

That might be a good idea. So only a real assist counts and not just hurting someone.
Otherwise every hit you do to a teammate in a cluster would count as tk assist :D

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »
I wish they had an assist feature, and one that shows how many horses you've killed (when someone is mounted on it).  But like people say, sometimes a person is hit by 5 different people, that's 5 assists for 1 kill.

You'd need to do something like only 1 assist per kill. 

Or like in some older games, instead of assists, they had an overall damage total that you've dealt.  I think total damage done would be awesome. 

Either way, when I'm on foot and not kill whoring like I'm able to on cavalry, I still feel very good at the end of rounds when I've helped assist in 5-7 kills, even if you look at the scoreboard it doesn't look like I've done anything.  The only reason to add assists, or damage dealt is so you get recognized, but honestly, if you're doing a good job people recognize it over time anyways.  I guarantee every time I horse bump someone or ride up and save a teammate who's about to be ganked (even if it means not getting the kill, but assisting) I guarantee they remember it.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:10 pm »
I would love to be able to see overall damage done.

Specifically support oriented players or classes might be interest in having this displayed or shown in some manner.

As a HA I would also enjoy being able to see how many horses I have killed or how many "plinks"(damage) I have inflicted.

Hitandrun4life!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:15:39 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
I might say "oh, no, this is not necessary--you should just settle with the satisfaction of knowing that you helped your team win that round; you don't need a number". As CrazyCracka points out, it is very possible to feel good about, and be recognized for your contribution towards the team's victory.

But then why have a k/d counter? Why even count the number of times your team won--isn't it the fun of just playing that matters, or of just taking joy in the individual victories rather than their sum?

I think the issue here is competitiveness. Yes, your score is just a number, but it's symbolic of something more, something that hits at the core of why people play games. I like to see my awesome k/d up there, at the top of the list, above the scores of everyone below me. I like to know that I've been exactly X amount useful to the team, and I sure as fuck want everyone else to know, too. It's one of the reasons I keep playing, and I don't really think it's a toooo bad a thing. Competition does, of course, become an issue when, as in Huey's case, you play only to win. And it's entirely selfish when it's not being projected outward to encompass your team's score.

So, I believe an assist counter would be fair to those classes of player who lend assistance to their team but do not get rewarded with many kills, as is symbolized in the k/d ratio. The issue here is, as others have noted, what exactly constitutes an "assist". Perhaps a damage counter and a kill counter would be a nice compromise? The k/d is, I think, a very nice thing to have--it clearly makes out the deadliest players of both teams, and hits home harder than a huge damage counter statistic. Still, some sort of recognition for The Helpful Ones should exist, and a simple damage stat would do (including damage done to mounted horses, if possible).

I'm biased though, because I'm an OP lancer cav bundle of sticks that pads his k/d with the corpses of the unwary and naked/unarmed.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:26 pm »
I'm biased though, because I'm an OP lancer cav bundle of sticks that pads his k/d with the corpses of the unwary and naked/unarmed.

I feel suddenly so warm and fuzzy inside.  :oops:

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:19:54 pm »
Afaik the game can't detect individual hits? And doing it might cause immense lag...
Someone talked about this some time ago... a rather old suggestion to be honest.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 11:27:25 pm »
Afaik the game can't detect individual hits? And doing it might cause immense lag...
Someone talked about this some time ago... a rather old suggestion to be honest.

ja heard about it causing lag.  but,  in sp damage by bows is registered.  if now not assist hits and kills would be registered, but only the amount of damage done... that would be interesting.  but than people would start bitching cause someone who hit a tin can 20 times gets less points that somebody who killed 3 peasants...

i say it aint worth the coding time
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 04:14:58 am »
i say it aint worth the coding time

actually thats a really good point, no sarcasm or anything trollish intended. This actually really isn't that important.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG