Author Topic: Why are the maps so bad?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Darkwulf

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Crusader
    • View Profile
Why are the maps so bad?
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »
It seems like the battle maps are getting worse.  Where did all the fun maps go?

Who do I talk to about making maps for na servers?  I made a couple for the old servers but there gone now.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
Re: Why are the maps so bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:06:51 am »
i made a couple maps, second ones almost done.

i hardly ever see tropical (v2) in rotation though.  i have a sneaking suspicion that it's only hosted when the playercount is low, because the map's XY size is small.  the new map's epic and huge, so we'll see.

i'm very, very bored of most of the uberpopular maps that get played every day (two rivers, i'm looking at you).  i've only been playing for a couple months too...

Offline Teeth

• Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:22 am »
Seems like the whole scene editing community is pretty dead. It´s damn shame cause mapmaking is easy and we require it. Might have to do with the slowness of maps actually being put into rotation though. Atleast on the EU side of things.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:55:52 am »
The spawns have been moved on a lot of maps and its really pooed some of them out pretty bad.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:05:40 am »
The spawns have been moved on a lot of maps and its really pooed some of them out pretty bad.

this is another problem, when a terrible map has five versions of it there's roughly five times more chance for it to pop up instead of something new / interesting

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
You don't talk to anyone. You simply upload them here. But yes, there's a distinct lack of support for maps. *cough* I guess if you wanna talk to anyone, talk to Shik.
When it comes to minor stuff like changing spawns, you can post what the map name and preferably a picture, here in the scene forum, and if it's a reasonable request it will be done in time.

Monkeys!

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »
I was happy yesterday, when I saw hundred beautiful village maps in last 1257ad release.
Also this mod have awesome weapons, horses and armors.

Pity, this beauty is only for singleplayer.

Offline Darkwulf

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:27 pm »
Yeah another problem is when new maps are put in, it seems they don't rotate through enough.  Maybe there are so many maps I am just getting unlucky and seeing the same maps.

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:53:17 pm »
yep all the good maps are removed and teamplay is gone because of that , bring back the old good maps!!!!
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Jacko

• Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:06 pm »
yep all the good maps are removed and teamplay is gone because of that , bring back the old good maps!!!!

Like what maps?
Monkeys!

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:16:01 pm »
Like what maps?
don't know the names but That one with wooden bridge on middle of map , those awesome large randomplains with huge hills and flat grounds "teamplay maps" ,  that small map with 2 towers and 2 blanks to get to other side and many more ,   all these new village C maps suck hard  ( i would have lots of screens about the old good maps but i lost them with my old pc )  Sometimes i see some of the good old maps on  Pecores, nordmen, and legio server
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »
The problem is that 98% of all maps are "random village" maps... I really think quite a few of them should be removed.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »
There are players still making maps, and we are lucky to have as many talented map makers as we do (especially for a mod of a fairly underappreciated game). Maybe due to the christmas period the scene editing sub forum feels a little dead?
But I'm sure soon map makers old and new will have more time to have a go at something new to spice up battle, put the finishing touches on a map long in the making or even make a good effort to try and learn how to use the editor for the first time.

If anyone does want to have a go with the editor or doesn't even know where to start with scening, you can always just do a quick search in this subforum or make a new thread asking your questions and someone will try to help!
More sceners = more maps made = more chance your map(s) could become loved by the community! It's the gift that keeps on giving, non-retarded maps to fight on.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Jacko

• Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 11:56:44 am »
Yeah, those maps were removed cause the weren't good (promoting quick grind is not the same as promoting "teamwork", tho I miss the random plains). Obviously, there are not suppose to be only village maps (which there aren't), but most made maps are simply worse then said village maps.

And yes, by all means, if you feel that a certain map should be removed (or remade), make a thread about it, post a picture, explain why chances are it will.
Monkeys!

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:12:37 pm »
Yeah, those maps were removed cause the weren't good (promoting quick grind is not the same as promoting "teamwork", tho I miss the random plains).
Can you explain what you mean by this? Don't get what you mean with it "promoting quick grind", at least if we're talking 'bout 'em random plains...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.