Author Topic: Did they change the 2h right swing?  (Read 20860 times)

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: Quant, Quantum
Re: Did they change the 2h right swing?
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »
What buff?^^

Btw, go get us a longbow  +1 or +2 speedbuff so the delay finally is gone :mrgreen:

Off topic comment:
Longbow got +2 pierce back when it was the only bow to have pierce (just after the slot introduction). I would get a longbow buff but I don't have my MW longbow any more to test, my archer alt doesn't even own a standard longbow at the moment. Thats another thing I forgot to mention, I have an alt for most classes, so I don't really lobby for a specific class.

To reply to Khorin, nobody can nerf you really unless they nerf riposting because "it's too easy" to get a hit with. :) All they can nerf further is your katana which is already pretty damn useless to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:41:09 pm by CaptainQuantum »

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »
Haven't played for a few days but just to add my two cents; although hiltslash was unblockable from time to time, when you didn't actually put your weapon in front of his and step away from the swing. I have to say I've had more of a problem (still not a large one) with pole-stun and being circled and not being able to do anything, although I think this generally occured at lower peasant-ish levels.

I understand trying to make this game more accessible but it is kind of an old game and it is a mod and according to what I've read on the forums the player base is generally consistent on players coming in and players going out. I know when I first joined it took me almost 2 gens to get the hang of it and I stuck with it because of the challenge and the fact that I understood what I was doing wrong every time and the idea that I would be on the same level as some of these players once I got the hang of it (and a better gfx card).
And how!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2012, 06:14:24 pm »
+4
"Hiltslash" was never unblockable. One just had to anticipate it, which wasn't that difficult because a player preparing a "hiltslash" had to move/behave in a certain way. It was a bit like instastabs in Native which could be blocked and punished with anticipation too. That's from a low ping perspective though. For high pingers this change might be good.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17:21 pm »
Well hiltslash was just another way for two handers to play, I never saw the problem with it, I'm not a great swordsman by any means and I would use it occasionally as well as be killed by it plenty but I never saw a problem with it, thing is with the way 2h feels right now I've been sticking with my polearm character, he feels far more effective in almost all situations. Given I'm a Ninja and I'm using a Katana I find it very difficult to get any non-backwhack kills. LHB I actually stand a chance in a 1v1 fight.

Might give the Miaodao a try, see how that feels.

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »
"Hiltslash" was never unblockable. One just had to anticipate it, which wasn't that difficult because a player preparing a "hiltslash" had to move/behave in a certain way. It was a bit like instastabs in Native which could be blocked and punished with anticipation too. That's from a low ping perspective though. For high pingers this change might be good.

A hiltslasher could easily be badly punished by you not being conducive to where he wants you to move. Once you learn to do the opposite of what you would normally do (move in to your swing) and side swing in the opposite direction to your block you will actually hit them first. Learning to anticipate it takes a little bit of training, but I don't think it's a bad tactic either. I guess it needed a nerf since seeing people using it as their only duel tactic was pretty stupid and too many people were just neglecting overhead and thrusts, which is why I actually called for a nerf on it. It was a pity it had to be done in such a way though, the nerf was justified but I did like the principle behind the hiltslash since it stopped the hit-block-hit-block (ad infinitum if it's Urist vs Urist) paradigm.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:27:17 pm by CaptainQuantum »

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2012, 06:22:54 pm »
i liked hitslash because it allowed me to kill scrubs fast instead of getting zerged down

it totaly needed a huge nerf tho, not a removal of yet more player skill :rolleyes:

does the bec also have delay on right swing now?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:40 pm »
i liked hitslash because it allowed me to kill scrubs fast instead of getting zerged down

it totaly needed a huge nerf tho, not a removal of yet more player skill :rolleyes:

does the bec also have delay on right swing now?

Bec's only at 93 speed (if i recall)...it's not a speed demon.  And being that it's a polearm and the dev's said this nerf applied to polearms as well...then yes, it would have the delay also.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »
I didn't recognise any speeddifference for polearms^^

Btw, Bec has only 93 speed true, but it's short and light and Bec de Corbin is a fucking speeddemon

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • Renown: 162
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Zaren_Astralis
  • IRC nick: Zaren
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »
Cmp if the majority of people want it changed back will you change it back? Because sometimes I don't think you listen to us due to some..... very defensive comments.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2012, 06:48:50 pm »
+1
Cmp if the majority of people want it changed back will you change it back? Because sometimes I don't think you listen to us due to some..... very defensive comments.

To answer that i would advice you to go back in time (or use the search function) and track the history of polls in this forum, their results and what actually happened :mrgreen:

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »
No idea if anything changed..... Dont have a computer with me only a phone so i cant check as easily

Offline CaptainQuantum

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »
To answer that i would advice you to go back in time (or use the search function) and track the history of polls in this forum, their results and what actually happened :mrgreen:

There was that time when lancers complained about the lance angle nerf and it got put back to the native angle on the same day. It did get reduced again, but that was a long time after this.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2012, 07:00:16 pm »

I generally don't think the dev's should listen to people on the forums unless they have a really good argument (they for sure shouldn't listen to people just because it's a "majority" on the forums).  How many people play this game, and how many people post on the forums?

The only time people make noise on the forums is when they don't like something (generally speaking) so you only get people who want something changed making the most noise.  Everyone who is content with the game doesn't come to the forums going "This mod kicks ass, don't ever change a thing".  So the dev's end up getting a false picture of the feelings of the players.

Stop nerfing and buffing shit is my suggestion.  I've asked this numerous times in numerous threads to people who say they want something nerfed or buffed:

Is there anything in the game that is so overpowered that it can't reasonably be countered?  Is there something that useless in the game that it can't reasonably be used?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zaren

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »
Well i think its total bs if they dont listen to us..... I know meow has listened before but so far on this post cmp has only been defensive. And yes they should listen to us if an LARGE majority want it changed.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2012, 07:06:41 pm »
I'd just like to know what sort of procedures there are for balancing,. It would probably help keep people on the devs side if they feel their playstyle gets decent representation from the devs. Like do 2 hander users get a say on the dev team about game balance? Do devs have dev characters that get to play around with tweaks before they go live and test with different build types? Do people who make decisions play with 2 handers themselves by choice? It would suck to think people are changing the game to suit themselves. It would also help to avoid calls of bias if changes are listed along side bug fixes in the patch notes. Otherwise it might look like things are trying to be sneaked in

As a new player I still don't know what class to play (will probably either be 2 hander or polearm long term). Only done 2 hander so far and might try polearm next, unless theres a nice spike in cheap 2 handers from this recent nerf :D .  Part of the appeal of 2 handers is the look though imo, even if they suck compared to polearms people will still use them because they like to use 2 handed swords
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:12:24 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this: