Author Topic: Feinting  (Read 6103 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Feinting
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:07 pm »
Well, I don't think you can speak with the voice of the public here, since you also consider 10 blocks in a row followed by a chamber attack as easy. It's cool if we have elite players like you, but the average cRPG player does indeed fall for the left - right feint, and he also can't block 10 times in a row and follow it with a chamber attack.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 10:54:47 pm »
You cant do this with unbalanced weapons.

Yes you can.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
There's no block sound.

Yep thats the big downside of this but im more a visual person so I can fall for it.

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:17:12 pm »
Ok so if you use a shield then the least expected attack people will see is the overhand. Most people just don't do it so overhand stab combo is the way to go. For 2h/polearm fighting shielder with husc and a good sword don't fight them unless your really fast. If your slow retreat to friends  :arrow:  8-)

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42:21 pm »
As far as I know unbalanced means you get a speed penalty if you dont hit the enemy. Fainting with long maul works perfectly, sometimes its even useful :D

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 11:48:46 pm »
Unbalanced also means you cant feint as deep as other weapon, making it hard to feint efficiently.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:24:42 am »
Nah. There's no block sound and there's no feint in the feint. Nothing easier than blocking a simple left-right.

True, and that is very avarage player speakig here. Usually, feinting consisting of side swings only are the easiest to read and block, at least from my experience.
What I think important is to always add variety into your feints. There will be feints that you will master easily, and in the heat of the duel, you will instinctively use them often. You need to always keep your cool to change the patterns a bit, so you can't be easily read.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »
Unbalanced also means you cant feint as deep as other weapon, making it hard to feint efficiently.

This.  My 2her uses the mancleaver as his primary weapon (and a sword of war when I get frustrated with the mancleaver in dueling).  You can feint with it, but only in the very very beginning of the attack, unlike the sword of war (not unbalanced) where I can feint right as the weapon is about to touch the enemy player model.  Unbalanced weapons mean that once your attack has gone past the first quarter or so of the animation you're pretty much committed to it and so if you need to stop it or emergency block due to a positioning change you're S.O.L.  Balanced weapons don't suffer from this problem.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:28:15 pm »
i agree with xant; the left-to-right feint is the easiest to block, and i've always seen it that way.
unfortunately it has become my 'main' feint, so when i don't think about what i'm doing, i automaticly make the left-to-right feint and it gets blocked 199/200 times.

I've experienced that the easiest way to kill bad-medium players is with a sideswing feint followed by overhead attack. many unexperienced players cant block this, and it will also get through some of the more experienced players' blocks (althoguh not that often)
so if you're new, i suggest you try to practice this one.

the double overhead is also fine

another easy and, imo, usefull attack is the held attack. Instead of immediately releasing your attack, hold it for a sec or 2, most players attack by reflex as they know the amount of time it will take your weapon to reach their block, and they think it's their turn to attack, but as your attack is delayed, you hit him while he attacks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:35:43 pm by Torp »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »
Be careful with overhead feints, you can sometimes be spammed...
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:35 pm »
With long polearms with 2 attack directions, I found out that feinting stabs can be very devastating to your opponent, if you know what you doing, you can fool them easily.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:46 am »
Be careful with overhead feints, you can sometimes be spammed...
Be careful with all feints,some oponents can spam if you are feinting too much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:16:31 am by DarkFox »

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 02:18:56 am »
Be careful with all feints,some oponents can spam if you are feinting too much.

Yeah, if you feint every single attack, all your opponent needs to do is spam and he'll hit you. In general just don't follow patterns, be unpredictable. Normal attacks, feints, spam, holds and chambering are all valid tactics, so use all of them.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:12 am »
Imho, Overhead feint to Left/Right swing works nice. For people who attack immediately after they block your attack it also works if you feint first then attack in the same direction quickly - these feints are hard to see.
I have also managed to feint first attack and execute the next that had clipped animation (swing was already half through when the first feint ended, so after the feint there was only the last half of the attack animation - also hard to block).

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »
Got a question..  :oops:

Is there 2 kind of feints still? The long and the short feint?

Also.. just to add one of my own tricks to this:

If you cancel a top strike with a right block, to many players this will look like a complete "miss" as your sword is in a similar position, of course its not a miss.

Another dueling trick that seems to get me lately is the encircling + slash from the "wrong side"

If you do a close encirclement to your right,  keep hitting from your left.
As the enemy has to move his mouse to his left to keep facing you, strikes to his right (your left) can become tricky to block. This also works the other way around of course, and is perfectly timed when you accelerate to his side striking a millisecond after from the other side.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.