Author Topic: Feinting  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Marblecake

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Marblecake_the_Motorized, Azincourt, The_Little_Hobbit, The_Crushing_Hobbit, Plumbers_Mario
Feinting
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:46 pm »
Hi there!

I've now read a couple of threads where the importance of feinting was stressed. I've even see people do it.

Could someone explain to me - and possibly a couple of other noobs out there who don't know either - how feinting works exactly?

I shall award AwesomeBar points to whomever is helpful in this regard  :)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: Feinting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »
Attack, Tap block button quickly, attack again.
That is your basic feint.
Now go to a duel server and experiment a little:)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:40:12 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:39:15 pm »
Feinting is when you you release your attack and you stop it before it lands. You do it by using block when your attack is released.
You can stop your attack only in first half of the blow. You cant do this with unbalanced weapons.

This is the basic idea of feinting.

Offline Marblecake

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Marblecake_the_Motorized, Azincourt, The_Little_Hobbit, The_Crushing_Hobbit, Plumbers_Mario
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:32:31 pm »
Awesome, both of you get +1!

Seriously guys, thanks a lot!

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:44:54 pm »
Feinting is when you you release your attack and you stop it before it lands. You do it by using block when your attack is released.
You can stop your attack only in first half of the blow. You cant do this with unbalanced weapons.

This is the basic idea of feinting.
thats not true i was able to do it with a great maul, just slow as hell and doesn't surprise any one... well not enough atleast
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 05:55:23 pm »
thats not true i was able to do it with a great maul, just slow as hell and doesn't surprise any one... well not enough atleast

Well sometimes you can feint with unbalanced weapons but mostly it wont work or it is so clumsy that you cant fool anyone with it :)
I can change my statement to that it is highly recommended to not use unbalanced weapons to learn feinting.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:26:39 pm »
I will add the OPest feint possible :

swing right (or left), cancel at the point where it should touch your opponent (or really close to the point), and swing left (or right).

Your opponent will think your attack was blocked or bounced off, then you can hit him. Really good timing needed and only when your opponent is on the defensive (like every feinting pattern).

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:07 pm »
To understand how combat works in M&B look up my long post http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1545.0.html  It explains how the mechanics of melee work within the game.  Understanding the dynamics of melee should stop you from making many of the most common mistakes. 

Cheers and good fighting.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:11:08 am »
Simple. Feinting works by utilizing the fear of death. Your opponent thus tries to block your feints, and makes him unsure of which one will be an actual attack.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »
I will add the OPest feint possible :

swing right (or left), cancel at the point where it should touch your opponent (or really close to the point), and swing left (or right).

Your opponent will think your attack was blocked or bounced off, then you can hit him. Really good timing needed and only when your opponent is on the defensive (like every feinting pattern).

You mean the most common and easiest to block feint... >.>

Here are some feint combinations you might want to try, from Hasek's dueling guide on the Taleworlds forums:
"Notation: O = Overhead swing
              L = Left-to-right swing
              R = Right-to-left swing
              T = Thrust
              [X]f = An attack in direction X that is Feinted
              DF = Deep Feint
              {X1, X2 ... Xn} vs. {Y1, Y2 ... Yn} = X is the set of attacks you perform. Your opponent performs the set of attacks Y.
Disclaimer: Duels are obviously very fluid and situational, the following series of attacks are those that I have found to be the most effective in my personal dueling experience.

Of - L or Of - R  : I refer to this simple attack as "The Akmar". It is an excellent attack because it forces an opponent to quickly upblock and then leftblock. The common result is an accidental downblock because the upblock naturally puts the manual blocker's mouse out of its natural position.
Lf - Rf - T : This series causes your opponents hand to begin a natural left-to-right movement and makes a sudden downblock difficult to execute.
DF - T - T : A deadly combination attack - Thrusts are some of the hardest attacks to parry and disguising them with a Deep Feint makes them extremely effective and allows you to finish a duel very quickly.
Tf - Tf - R : This series attempts to commit your opponent to a downblock or leftblock, remember to turn into the attack and move to the right of the opposing duelist to bait your opponent into turning his parry away from your attack.
L, R , or O vs. T : Never perform a standard attack while your opponent has a thrust chambered. The thrust is extremely fast and long ranged. It is also very difficult to reactively block thrusts, and you will not be able to transition in time from any other swing to a downblock in time to prevent your untimely impaling.  Advanced duelists know how to acticipate thrusts and know that they need to worry most about thrusting attacks during the opening of a duel.
T - T : Simple and effective, but requires some footwork and opportunism to guarantee success. A duelist circling his opponent thrusts a true attack and scores a non-killing blow. The duelist, rather than fading back after the thrust, rushes his opponent to gain positioning and immediately thrusts again. Performed correctly, this attack is almost a guaranteed kill because of the speed inherent to the thrust."
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,118804.0.html
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Marblecake

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »
Geezus, I don't know where to start with handing out points  :mrgreen:

@Formless: I actually read your post yesterday and found it to be extremely helpful. It has drastically changed my playstyle and I actually think it is one of the most insightful and helpful posts here. Thank you for your time in posting it.

@Xant: Awesome! You surely are a great man...although a Merc, but what the hell  :wink:

@Butan: you're telling me this NOW?  :lol:

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:22 pm »
You mean the most common and easiest to block feint... >.>

When done with the most masterful timing and footwork, it is the only feint that can cause the defender to think he really blocked, then chambering the "real" swing make it like the "fake" swing just passed through; thus you can call it a kind of "faked lag" weapon animation. Very deadly with fast weapon.

The feint combinations you posted are based on mouse miscalculation and/or lack of reflex, which is something else.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
No, Butan.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »
Well, Butan is kind of right, but the problem with his feint is that some people block twice anyway before attacking, and against those, it won't work.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:22 pm »
Nah. There's no block sound and there's no feint in the feint. Nothing easier than blocking a simple left-right.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.