Poll

Which faith do you adhere to? (these are in no particular order)

Protestant Christian or Catholicism (christ followers)
135 (24%)
Buddhist or Hinduism
11 (2%)
Islam or Judaism
33 (5.9%)
Baha'i faith/ other cultural religion
3 (0.5%)
Non-Religious (atheist/agnostic)
328 (58.3%)
Wiccan, Voodo, or something else like it (magical discipline)
41 (7.3%)
Gnostic or other religious non-theistic discipline
12 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 561

Author Topic: What Religion are you?  (Read 36184 times)

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What Religion are you?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2011, 01:02:56 am »
+1
I lol'ed at this thread and didn't bother to read through 6 pages of internet dorks who think their opinion on the subject is worth a damn.

But, since I'm one of those dorks, I thought I'd share how I feel about the quality of responses in this thread (along with many others in the cRPG forums):

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Epic troll thread.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:44:50 am by Bull »

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2011, 01:06:31 am »
+1
If this thread is going to continue Judaism is going to need to be separated from Islam.
Islam is more similar to Christianity than Judaism.

With the high volume of 'non-believers' here, Agnostic and Atheism should be seperated... They're very different  :|
And Hinduism with Buddhism? What were you thinking? Just because they originated from the same cultural background doesn't mean they're the same. Besides, Buddhism isn't so much a religion as a mindset.

Also add Scientology. Rofl.
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2011, 01:13:25 am »
+1
Taoism:  Who gives a shit.  :mrgreen:

That's essentially a "no" with an added middle finger.   :wink:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought of fool that to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Irony.   :mrgreen:  We established it was a troll thread long ago.  Now we're discussing word definitions and ManOfWars closet and point.

With the high volume of 'non-believers' here, Agnostic and Atheism should be seperated... They're very different  :|

Indeed.  Agnosticism and Atheism are completely fundamentally different.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2011, 02:12:57 am »
+1
Irony.   :mrgreen:  We established it was a troll thread long ago.  Now we're discussing word definitions and ManOfWars closet and point.

Irony? Are you insulting me, good sir?

As I said, after a quick scan of the posts, I read no more. The amount of religious "expertise" here is staggering. I had not seen it was already established as a troll thread. I apologize for the redundancy, and I am glad we can all agree on the trollishness of this, if nothing else.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2011, 02:20:50 am »
+1
Irony? Are you insulting me, good sir?

You don't see the Irony in using a quote by lincoln in a thread discussing religion?  He discussed it quite often, with sometimes conflicting views:

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J S Wakefield, after Willie Lincoln's death"

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.
-- Abraham Lincoln"

"That I am not a member of any Christian church is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.... I do not think I could myself be brought to support a man for office whom I knew to be an open enemy of, or scoffer at, religion.
-- Abraham Lincoln"

"The will of God prevails. In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the present civil war it is quite possible that God's purpose is something different from the purpose of either party -- and yet the human instrumentalities, working just as they do, are of the best adaptation to effect His purpose. I am almost ready to say that this is probably true -- that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet. By his mere great power, on the minds of the now contestants, He could have either saved or destroyed the Union without a human contest. Yet the contest began. And, having begun He could give the final victory to either side any day. Yet the contest proceeds.
-- Abraham Lincoln"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:27:19 am by Gorath »

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2011, 02:43:38 am »
+1
You don't see the Irony in using a quote by lincoln in a thread discussing religion?  He discussed it quite often, with sometimes conflicting views.

No, I was not aware of the irony. I am not a Lincoln scholar as it would seem you are. It was just the first quote that came to mind when I browsed the first page of the thread.

Good quotes. I particularly like the one from the second inaugural address. Thanks, Gorath.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2011, 03:47:30 am »
+1
While I am not religious I think God does exist. 

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2011, 08:40:20 am »
+1
In case of attack by religious zealots however I shield myself as a follower of Cthulu. 
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

May Cthulu rise again and devour the souls of the pitiful beings who actually believe that one religion is better than another.

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »
+1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
+1
Now im lost
Just a soldier

Offline Seranoth

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Trve evil satanic bastardblackmetalninja from hell
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Satanic
  • Game nicks: Satanic_Seranoth, Satanic_Lord_Natrezhin
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2011, 09:01:29 pm »
+1
For one thing how can you ever respect someone that calls himself a satanist and yet is against rape, murder, child abuse, etc.  Sorry, this is satan here, if anything those act should be praised and celebrated by the church of SATAN on high.   for instance.

Your problem is:
You still believe the pathetic cliche of the christian religion which prejudices Satan as the evil in person- the pure opposite of the "good" God. You can be good or evil, but the Human nature who we Satanists call the personification "Satan" is hence not evil!
Thats just PURE cliche of the christians, because the beliefs in the Satanism are such different than theirs.
Respect our doings, not your belief what we do.
And one other thing:
Satanists are egocentric. Real responsible-minded Satanists never rape, murder or child abuse, because its bad for their esteem, familyharmony and conscience, because we hallow the nature and the living. Albeit the law resticts such bad things- as chriminals we couldnt live in satisfaction. Well unless you are a psychopath and would have fun at this.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:12 pm »
+1
Your problem is:
You still believe the pathetic cliche of the christian religion which prejudices Satan as the evil in person- the pure opposite of the "good" God. You can be good or evil, but the Human nature who we Satanists call the personification "Satan" is hence not evil!
Thats just PURE cliche of the christians, because the beliefs in the Satanism are such different than theirs.
Respect our doings, not your belief what we do.
And one other thing:
Satanists are egocentric. Real responsible-minded Satanists never rape, murder or child abuse, because its bad for their esteem, familyharmony and conscience, because we hallow the nature and the living. Albeit the law resticts such bad things- as chriminals we couldnt live in satisfaction. Well unless you are a psychopath and would have fun at this.

The problem is that "Satan" is a direct figure from christian religion.  Taking said figure and title and rearranging things to suit your viewpoint isn't even legitimate or credible.  Which only makes the whole thing even more laughable.  If you're going to worship the lord of the fallen, then own up to it.  Represent.  Don't puss out in order to maintain some kind of moral defense.  That's just pathetic imo.  The way you, and other new age satanists describe it is like a bastardized form of wiccanism peppered with narcissistic celebration- Baltard would love it.

Satan is a title from christianity, so to use said title but rearrange the characteristics of said figure whimsically like you are is silly.  It's like me saying I'm a Thor-ist (w/e) but changing Thor's mythos to that of Buddha.  Or that I worship Cthulhu but saying that we believe he wishes to bring bunnies and rainbows to mankind.  All credibility and integrity is lost.   :rolleyes:
The way you describe him, Satan is a pussy:

Now im lost

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:36:26 pm by Gorath »

Offline Seranoth

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Trve evil satanic bastardblackmetalninja from hell
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Satanic
  • Game nicks: Satanic_Seranoth, Satanic_Lord_Natrezhin
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:59 pm »
+1
Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan...its just a name. I speak of the thing behind the name- and thats the human nature.
Names of Satan:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:40:09 pm by Seranoth »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
+1
Satan, Lucifer, Belial, Leviathan...its just a name. I speak of the thing behind the name- and thats the human nature.
Names of Satan:

No, it's specific names for "demonic" entities and dietific beings of evil nature and intent.   :rolleyes:  Anyways, again the reason I can't take so called "satanists" seriously.  Was the same trite bullshit when I tried researching the church of satan as a kid.  Buncha wimps.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2011, 09:51:40 pm »
+1
The problem is that "Satan" is a direct figure from christian religion.  Taking said figure and title and rearranging things to suit your viewpoint isn't even legitimate or credible.  Which only makes the whole thing even more laughable.  If you're going to worship the lord of the fallen, then own up to it.  Represent.  Don't puss out in order to maintain some kind of moral defense.  That's just pathetic imo.  The way you, and other new age satanists describe it is like a bastardized form of wiccanism peppered with narcissistic celebration- Baltard would love it.

Satan is a title from christianity, so to use said title but rearrange the characteristics of said figure whimsically like you are is silly.  It's like me saying I'm a Thor-ist (w/e) but changing Thor's mythos to that of Buddha.  Or that I worship Cthulhu but saying that we believe he wishes to bring bunnies and rainbows to mankind.  All credibility and integrity is lost.   :rolleyes:
The way you describe him, Satan is a pussy.

Quoted for truth!

Also, those names are not all 'Satan'. As someone (I'm best described as a humanist agnostic, if you're asking) who's studied the Bible from back to front repeatedly- where 'Satan' first shows up, I can assure you that in that same context, for instance, that Leviathan simply means a great big sea monster, commonly believed to be a whale.

On the other hand, the biblical account of Satan isn't all that 'evil' in the modern sense- a lot of the 'pure evil' is from apocryphal sources and denomination specific belief that's led to the current popular culture Satan.

His biggest crime comes down to wanting to take God's place, believing he didn't need to follow God, and tempting everyone else to follow him.

Most of the actual destruction comes from God or through his actions.

It's important to note, though, that evil, to someone who believes in this God, is synonymous with sin- and so someone who sinned before humanity did and spends his existence getting humanity to sin is as evil as it gets.

Addendum:
Looking at the thread, it appears that there's something lost in translation with defining beliefs. Gorath's explanation on isms is how the academic English-speaking world views these definitions, and I suspect this might be different elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:10:11 pm by Kalam »