Poll

Which faith do you adhere to? (these are in no particular order)

Protestant Christian or Catholicism (christ followers)
135 (24%)
Buddhist or Hinduism
11 (2%)
Islam or Judaism
33 (5.9%)
Baha'i faith/ other cultural religion
3 (0.5%)
Non-Religious (atheist/agnostic)
328 (58.3%)
Wiccan, Voodo, or something else like it (magical discipline)
41 (7.3%)
Gnostic or other religious non-theistic discipline
12 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 561

Author Topic: What Religion are you?  (Read 36276 times)

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
Re: What Religion are you?
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2011, 03:49:33 am »
+2
"All religions are precious pearls strung on the golden thread of divinity." Samael Aun Weor.

Don't think that Gnostic choice was there months ago when I voted Buddhist, but they're one in the same.  Christianity tends toward the teaching of the Birth of the Soul, while Buddhism tends toward the teaching of the Death of the Ego.  Science, Mysticism, Art, and Philosophy are the 4 pillars of human interest.  I'm beating a dead horse here, but its worth saying again that things arent black and white in the world.  Religion and spirituality have everything to do with physics, chemistry, endocrinology, anatomy and any other field of science we can think of, and vice versa.  After internalizing and studying scripture for years on end, I honestly wish I balanced it with practical studies too.  We should admire the people with all sorts of knowledge.  We can theorize all day, but I don't even know how to change the oil in my car, and I throw like a girl.  IRL I'm a 3/3 build, that's for sure.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2011, 07:03:00 pm »
+1
Well absolutely, its an internal experience.  People are inspired and find meaning through symbols, feel comfortable with familiarity, and enjoy practicing with like-minded individuals.  We feel the need to inspire positive emotions within ourselves on a weekly or daily basis so we can focus on what's really important in life.  For some people going to the temple helps with that sense of devotion, and some people go out of their way to try to break bad habits, or spend more time with the people they love, or physical exercise.  A lot of it is about developing that positive mindset and sense of devotion, and by all means we can do none, some. or all of those things. 

There's probably "masters" in the world who are completely illiterate.  Another example was when canadian missionaries spoke to the eskimos about accepting Jesus to avoid going to hell-

Well if I never heard of Jesus, would I still go to hell?
--Well... no I don't think so
WELL WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THEN!?

Its about accepting the way of Christ by adopting an attitude of humility and sacrifice regardless of your lifestyle, rather than worshipping the physical body of a (THE) messenger.

Offline Kazak

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
  • Сiла и Чѣсть!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Honeybadgers
  • Game nicks: Kazak
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2011, 04:31:57 am »
+2
the dumbest poll I have ever seen.  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Не веровать и верить свободно - Вот в чём вера моя... И только в одно
Я верую слепо, как сердцу угодно: В веселье и радость, и в смех и в вино!

Offline Apostata

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 3
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_John_Applebottom
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2011, 10:35:38 am »
+1
Don't think that Gnostic choice was there months ago when I voted Buddhist, but they're one in the same.  Christianity tends toward the teaching of the Birth of the Soul, while Buddhism tends toward the teaching of the Death of the Ego.  Science, Mysticism, Art, and Philosophy are the 4 pillars of human interest.  I'm beating a dead horse here, but its worth saying again that things arent black and white in the world.  Religion and spirituality have everything to do with physics, chemistry, endocrinology, anatomy and any other field of science we can think of, and vice versa.  After internalizing and studying scripture for years on end, I honestly wish I balanced it with practical studies too.  We should admire the people with all sorts of knowledge.  We can theorize all day, but I don't even know how to change the oil in my car, and I throw like a girl.  IRL I'm a 3/3 build, that's for sure.

Such generalization of Christianity seems quite unfair. Souls are in general theology of both great schools of Christianity ( Orthodox and Catholic) eternal since the first act, created by God in his well known and good plan of creation (then they are waiting for the act of introduction also called the "Great suffer" in our reality). Soul, unlike the bodily qualities of man is transcendental and possess the divine and pure Ego which can only by stained or fulfilled under the weight of sins and moral wrongdoings. Judaism was pretty lame to it, as those who shall inherit the eternal life in neverending bliss were those who stick to the certain book and laws in it, thus Old Testament was never able to cope with universal scheme of world, nor win many affections of other cultures. Jesus Christ(and his followers to 4. Century AD), same as Zeno of Citium started his theological aspect of world as universal it can be, shared by all reasonal beings, under one logos(wisdom, order, shape, mind) and morally pure of any cultural interpretation and bound to the law of undying love and that law was not written, nor spoken in many languages, but acted and payed at the cross. Teachings of Jesus Christ coped pretty well with many philosophical concepts (such platonism, neoplatonism, stoicism and skepticism) popular at the fall of Rome and it took a long time until all what has been told by Jesus Christ was crippled by bounds, laws and restrictions (defined by economical and cultural needs) at the first councils to make it universal and centralised political dissentdestroying machine for Constantine the Great (trollop) and his Empire which was, after all raped by Huns,Bulgars,Slavs, Arabs and Turks accordingly.

Buddhism (in the early form, not sure what branch of Buddhism you are inclined to) wants to see through and deny all terrestrial "curtains" for the very same reason of the divine fixed ideal, which is in european style forever partying at the best party with the best souls in heaven. But in Hindu oriental world it is = Nirvana or better term "nothingness" or blowing out, ceasing to exist ( in almost neverendic karmic rebirths). Even though Hindu concept of ideal state of things is fixed and undefineable not moving "nothingness" there are amazing similarities in ethical and theological reasoning of both doctrines. And Buddhism suffers same definitions and restrictions Christianity under the designs of Church.  For example: Mahayáma doctrine is the biggest turd ever created out of philosophic concept. Even hipsters are not able to milk Nietzsche to such sick and messed up concepts of life.

Ya, the main reason I was about to wrote was that I am not that quite optimist about the relations of myths and religions to empirical science. The reason for it, is undenyable economical, scientific and cultural background for any mythological concept ever created , but the myth as a creation is no longer in any actual relation to its background and is not very likely to change as quick as empirical theories tend to. Myths can  slowly and painfully transform or be forgotten, but cant never deny itselves in a second. Those four pillars you mentioned seems more like the four interpretions of known world, and very arguable, except for art.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2011, 12:41:04 pm »
+1
Yeah, I'll concede.  We can all agree that it depends on what works for the times, and things change, develop, degenerate, and resurface.  Each legitimate religion should have all three factors at their core: Birth, Death, and Sacrifice.  As far as the relation of myths to empirical science, I guess I'm easily convinced by some pretty redundant mysteries.  Ancient civilizations are especially interesting, with the most obvious example being the pyramids, but also artwork depicting flying machines, extraterrestrials, and other incredible ideas. 

Theorizing about it is a major time sink and waste of effort, but if people are experiencing the internal worlds on a regular basis through spiritual, devotional means, and meanwhile empirical science is discovering more and more about the 4th coordinate through the work of brilliant physicists, hopefully there will be a day when experts find some common ground and agree on some things.  We'll probably see an even bigger flame war between sections of humanity though, as people will disagree merely about semantics.

Briefly touching on Nirvana though, several schools that teach synthesis discuss two possible paths for somebody reaching a level of mastery where they can choose the infinite bliss of Nirvana, and opt out, like you say, and disappear from existence rather than live nearly endless amount of physical incarnations.  There is also the path of the bodhisattva, where one renounces nirvana to keep working on behalf of humanity and suffer immensely.  I'll stop overgeneralizing things and being so dramatic.  We do what works for us until the end.  Even eternity has an end.  We're not even a spec on a pale blue dot afterall.

Offline Croaker McGee

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • You can't spell 'Slaughter' without 'Laughter'.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Croaker_McGee_Jr_Astralis
« Reply #231 on: November 14, 2011, 11:10:17 am »
+1
I'm curious as to why people believe that science and religion are mutually exclusive?

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I guess what it boils down to is if God exists, and he made everything, that would make us accountable to him. A notion that many can't accept. Just my personal belief.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #232 on: November 14, 2011, 11:29:16 am »
+1
The Nine Divines

.... oh, and circles are two dimensional.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:36:22 am by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2011, 12:44:08 pm »
+1
Man has always needed a belief, just as it was too difficult to just believe in him and explain his poor existence.

At least the religions have helped to civilize the people, well i don't need to be civilized anymore....

Offline Croaker McGee

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • You can't spell 'Slaughter' without 'Laughter'.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Croaker_McGee_Jr_Astralis
« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2011, 06:17:40 pm »
+1

.... oh, and circles are two dimensional.

The point being that the Bible simply stated the Earth was round at a time when most people thought it was flat, you cheeky little gnome.  :wink:

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »
+1
Sure that's what told Galilée but it seems that the other guys didn't read the bible.

Hilarious mate.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:19 pm »
+2
I guess what it boils down to is if God exists, and he made everything, that would make us accountable to him. A notion that many can't accept. Just my personal belief.

No, what it boils down to is that "believing" in God is like believing in Santa Claus, or magical invisible unicorns. It's simply ridiculous to believe in god just because there's a book that claims god exists. Not to mention a book that's completely fucked up and describes a god that kills (among other things) innocent children.

I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to be in the mind of a believer. Is there some kind of a stone wall or a clouded area in there that prevents them from seeing just how ridiculous it all is?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »
+1
The point being that the Bible simply stated the Earth was round at a time when most people thought it was flat, you cheeky little gnome.  :wink:

And my point is that circles are flat.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »
+1
Khorin is right on that. A circle is no sphere.

The Bible doesn't state that the earth is flat, just to be clear.

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »
+2

Outlaw 'God' anybody?

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.