Poll

Which faith do you adhere to? (these are in no particular order)

Protestant Christian or Catholicism (christ followers)
135 (24%)
Buddhist or Hinduism
11 (2%)
Islam or Judaism
33 (5.9%)
Baha'i faith/ other cultural religion
3 (0.5%)
Non-Religious (atheist/agnostic)
328 (58.3%)
Wiccan, Voodo, or something else like it (magical discipline)
41 (7.3%)
Gnostic or other religious non-theistic discipline
12 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 561

Author Topic: What Religion are you?  (Read 36245 times)

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: What Religion are you?
« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »
Wait, what do you mean?

You did not have a religious upbringing?

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2016, 05:07:26 pm »
+5

I had a rather religious upbringing, albeit luckily by extraordinary parents involved in genuinely good churches. Understand my perspective on this; although I do try to be as objective as possible.

I would argue fervently that a religious upbringing does not consistently imply religious indoctrination. I will readily and happily concede that large swathes of those high in religiosity are absolutely involved in religious indoctrination of themselves and their offspring. I'll agree with what I assume your response to that is: disgust and rightful indignation. Don't you worry, it deeply angers me as well to see beliefs harmful to the greater population be projected as absolute fact so malleable minds at a young age. As it should anyone.

Nonetheless, I've witnessed plenty of folks involved in....well, I don't actually know if I should call it "my church" or not. That's a tricky one. I've spent hundreds of hours volunteering in food relief programs (warehouse shit mostly) and have been on multiple missions to Mexico with them. I've chosen not to attend weekly service frequently at all; only to see certain people that only come around once in a while. But all of the people involved in the organization of this church (not very hierarchy-based at all) and the general membership are phenomenal people. Real fucking credits to the species, and I mean that shit. Come to think of it, it is worth mentioning that local...traditional baptist and methodist churches do tend to consider my church to be far too "progressive", as they put it. Some of them hate our guts! But I've seen children grow up in that church. I'm witnessing it now, even! The large majority of these children appear to be brought up with absolutely solid Judeo-Christian values without the baggage of strict and compressing dogma.

It's funny, reading what I wrote up there makes me realize that I really do consider myself a part of this church. Every single one of them there think that I'm a great lad and a strong Christian. I wouldn't dream of doing or saying anything to make them believe otherwise. It really gives them such joy, they are such lovely people that I'd never take that away from them.

As for me, my religion is convoluted and deeply personal. I find mystical/spiritual power in secrets, in knowledge of your own synthesis that few others know. Maybe that nobody but you knows. So I openly share my faiths very scarcely, and only with very special people.

Broadly, I can say that I am a polytheistic christian heretic at this time. Beliefs certainly shift, and I do reckon this is the first time I've typed that out. I'm very sorry for how special snowflake syndrome it looks. I'm in a funny mood having stayed up a while, worked all night and come home on Easter Sunday to some nice beers and gloomy rain.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:45 pm »
+1
I would argue fervently that a religious upbringing does not consistently imply religious indoctrination.

It is a term a couple of degrees too severe to be used entirely seriously in the context of most western upbringings. I think Teeth indeed used it here feeling the lingering distaste at the psychological forces exerted upon himself and others at a formative and essentially defenseless stage of life. For one thing, children can be very sensitive to all sorts of in- and out-group markings, not to mention the effect of the adults actively pointing out those who don't "belong".

It's very good that you have found peace with your own upbringing, your community and yourself though.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2016, 05:54:13 pm »
+1
Look at celebrities. Then look at their fans. Fans act as if the celebrities are gods, touching them will induce tears and screaming and be the "best moment of their life", they'll mentally masturbate over having a piece of paper with their idol's penmarks on it... and so on.

All of that is to say that most people are apt for worship. They don't even have to be brainwashed, they WANT someone or something to look up to, something higher than themselves. Sheep, looking for an owner.

Religions, "gods", are genius. Priests getting a ridiculous amount of power that can't be refuted by claiming they speak for a god they made up, and the people, their slaves, will thank them for it. Kind of like democracy, actually. The slave collar isn't forced on people, it's put there by their own beliefs. And so it can't be rebelled against.

Then there are people who are mentally strong and don't need comfortable illusions to deal with the world, people who don't want someone big and patriarchal to take care of business for them, people who don't do worship, of anyone or anything. People who own themselves.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2016, 06:45:51 pm »
+2

No. Both my parents are freethinking atheists. I went to church like twice with my grandfather out of my own curiosity because it was somewhat entertaining and mysterious. Attended catholic schools where the religious part of the education was a joke, consisting mostly of mainstream ethics and some study of the Bible. The situation of education in Belgium is that all the good non-private schools are catholic, so all the educated parents send their kids there regardless of personal religion.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2016, 07:46:49 pm »
+5
freethinking atheists

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2016, 09:24:14 pm »
Well, "libre examen" has no proper translation so I used the closest thing in English.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2016, 10:24:41 pm »
+2
You could just say "atheists" without the "freethinking" part.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2016, 10:39:31 pm »
+1
DEUS VULT

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2016, 10:44:11 pm »
+1
Non-religious, sort of a weird post-hallucinogen years sort of nihilistic spirituality. Everything is meaningless, everyone dies- and dies forever- and that's pretty beautiful in an of itself. It'd be comforting for me to believe stuff about a soul everlasting and so on but it seems like so much whistling past the graveyard to me.

Of course, I have no problems with the many positive aspects of religious groups, the fact that they foster a community, that that community can then go on to do good works at home and abroad, that they share a common cultural bond and so on, that's all great. My real problem is that magical thinking via dogma can cause some people to LITERALLY (no, it's really not figuratively or symbolic, apparently) believe that crackers and wine are the flesh of the Son and other such silliness- this is worrying because in my experience, magical thinking in one aspect of ones life can lead to a lack of critical analysis of beliefs in that and other avenues, because reason at that point is suspended for faith.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2016, 11:30:21 pm »
Atheist/Secular. I'm not convinced that any religion has any solid evidence for their claims, thus I would call all of them wishful thinking.

Apart from that I don't care about what happens to my consciousness after my brain stops functioning.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »
+1

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2016, 11:39:25 pm »
You could just say "atheists" without the "freethinking" part.

No, because I mean "freethinking" specifically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1265
  • Infamy: 2214
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2016, 11:40:06 pm »
I'm somewhat of a bastard. Depends on occasion really, I'm not into one religion specifically and for all eternity which will cost me dearly in case any of those scrips show up to be true when I leave this Earth in some non so graceful manner.

For example, I still think Jesus was wrong but that didn't stop me from celebrating his resurrection today with a nice family meal. Will celebrate again in a month. Will go to mosque when they give out free food for their holidays. Think Jews are cool. Buhda has my respect. Hindu gods are so badass, especially elephant one. Nordic and Slavic gods are beyond awesome. Have a wooden cross that protects me from evil spirits, would like to marry real witch. If I'm near cathedral or some big ass church, I'm definitely going to check it out and pretend I'm worshiping same shit as true believers because I find it kinda special.

In other words, I treat religion the same like any other form of entertainment.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2994
  • Infamy: 657
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2016, 11:48:09 pm »
+1
Edgy teens

No Voodoo no zombies. Voodoo is cool mang. Especially Voodoo 2 in SLI.