Poll

What would you like to play?

Classic cRPG
153 (39.8%)
New cRPG
231 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Voting closed: December 24, 2011, 03:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Classic vs New cRPG  (Read 16041 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Classic vs New cRPG
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2011, 10:34:58 pm »
Y'know Ratigan, I just plain see almost all those points in the exact opposite way.  I think the mean armor level was way higher toward the end of old cRPG than it is now.  Of course, the heirlooming of armor only became massively widespread afterward, so that's probably why one might see it differently.  Now that everyone knows how good armor heirlooms are, it will be even worse.  And as for personal experience, I found doing well without heavy armor is easier now than then.  I use a padded jack and a good one hander and do pretty well.  Back in the day, there'd be no way I could stand to use such a setup with all the armored horses with plated knights on them.  I suppose there could also be some discrepancy due to the Europe/NA divide.  We have some pretty obsessed people.  Then again, you guys had plate a long time before us, so who knows. 

Anyway, I may play the old cRPG for a bit while it's still young and awesome, but I know how it ends and will not be looking forward to it.
meh I never used heavy armor ...
it ends with the whingers nerfing everything
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
+1
It helps that John also plays almost solely on low pop servers, which generally makes it easier to do light armor

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2011, 10:41:38 pm »
meh I never used heavy armor ...
it ends with the whingers nerfing everything

Well a lot of things needed to be nerfed!  200+ proficiency, 105 speed katanas that you needed 10 ping to even see start a swing were one of them!  Crushthrough weapons with 30 strength that couldn't be interrupted because of their speed and crushed almost every time were another.  Archers...

There's just a lot of bullcrap I'd rather not live through again, and everybody knows about them beforehand this time around, so I'm skeptical about this whole thing. 

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2011, 11:17:23 pm »
Well a lot of things needed to be nerfed!  200+ proficiency, 105 speed katanas that you needed 10 ping to even see start a swing were one of them!  Crushthrough weapons with 30 strength that couldn't be interrupted because of their speed and crushed almost every time were another.  Archers...

There's just a lot of bullcrap I'd rather not live through again, and everybody knows about them beforehand this time around, so I'm skeptical about this whole thing.
it only goes to 104 the katana after 1 retire, sorry :P
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2011, 11:19:14 pm »
Atm classic crpg is almost unplayable as the all the new crpg archer are creaming themselves at how easy it was back then. Maybe better armour and a shield would make it better but its not fun right now.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2011, 11:46:49 pm »
Atm classic crpg is almost unplayable as the all the new crpg archer are creaming themselves at how easy it was back then. Maybe better armour and a shield would make it better but its not fun right now.

This.

I'll swing by when you all finally level up grind and get real crap to defend yourselves with, otherwise I don't see the point in performing mass murder when I can do the same in strategus... Also, I'm still waiting for this tale of "Tears trust me, being a peasant is so much more fun!" I'm watching, waiting, looking, observing... I don't see it. You mean more people are low level and with no gear and thus you can have more peasant fights? Great, another start-of-strategus flashback...

New cRPG for me. I can see the appeal for others, but for me old cRPG is simply not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:48:50 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:25 am »
+1
Being a peasant when there are actual high levels is fun as hell for me. I love desperately trying to stay alive and feeling outmatched. Plus, tailing a high level player was just amusing.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2011, 01:56:43 am »
it only goes to 104 the katana after 1 retire, sorry :P

I was talking about how they used to be - base 103 speed with +3 speed and damage at the first heirloom.  Which is 106, come to think of it.  Pretty nasty.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2011, 03:46:18 am »
I was talking about how they used to be - base 103 speed with +3 speed and damage at the first heirloom.  Which is 106, come to think of it.  Pretty nasty.
I would like that.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2011, 05:16:34 am »
This.

I'll swing by when you all finally level up grind and get real crap to defend yourselves with, otherwise I don't see the point in performing mass murder when I can do the same in strategus... Also, I'm still waiting for this tale of "Tears trust me, being a peasant is so much more fun!" I'm watching, waiting, looking, observing... I don't see it. You mean more people are low level and with no gear and thus you can have more peasant fights? Great, another start-of-strategus flashback...

New cRPG for me. I can see the appeal for others, but for me old cRPG is simply not my cup of tea.

I personally dislike peasant phase, but look forward for the upkeepless/and absence of wpf reduction for heavy armor.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2011, 06:38:45 am »
Joined too late in the game to experience the "old" cRPG and from listening to all you ninnies it doesn't really sound that interesting anyway.

Except for the faster game speed and slightly more ridiculous weapon stats.
And how!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:50 am »
"Classic" is good because it made me appreciate New CRPG more.

Not quite understanding why you keep bitching so hard about classic cRPG.  Its just another server option, not replacing new cRPG, so no real reason to get pissed or constantly harp about how much you dislike it.  A bunch of us enjoy, are glad its an option, and are eagerly awaiting for an na server.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »
The difference between the old and the new is that I used to play without plate or any high end equipment in the old version and still performed extremely well, in the new version if I want to do well I am basically forced to play a certain way with certain equipment that is effective. It's true if you play with silly weak weapons it will be harder, but at least if you were good enough you could still do so in the older versions.

This current version does away with all that, if you arent at least wearing medium armour and a nice heirloomed poleaxe/big 2 hander sword you are a waste in melee. As for ranged, that is a different matter entirely which I wont get into because I dont want to make a big post longer.

You still have the choice in this current version, but it is an illusion of a choice, afterall if you make something so bad that it isnt even worth considering then it can barely be called a choice at all can it?

What? Where did you get this from?

I have the exact opposite sensation, that in the old c-rpg the differences in gear/levels were so huge that some people just rolled servers by themselves simply due to time played, whilst today I can happily troll around in peasant gear and still come away with 8-1 scores (if I don't get shot to pieces, but owait, friendly archers were even more silly powerful in the old version...)

"If you don't have atleast medium armor and a nice heirloomed poleaxe/big 2 hander sword you are a waste in melee"

Now this is the biggest pile of bullshit I've seen in quite a while, we both know that there are a huge number of fighting styles around now and people are performing well with everything from scimitars to mauls.

Either you are just being extremely nostalgic, or the average player used to suck so much back them that you could just roll everyone regardless of gear provided that you at least had the brainpower of a cabbage. And I find that quite unlikely.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:37:16 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2011, 12:51:07 pm »
+3
I know the balance of old cRPG is terrible, but as I "always" said, when the game is fun and unserious, balance is but a minor problem. New cRPG is like over 9000+ other online arcade (read: no grinding) games, all about a super serious skill contest. Old cRPG was unique in the sense that it mixed a very skill-based gameplay (even with 10+ level differences, a duel ends up with the best player winning), MMO-like grinding (addictive) and an overall fun and trolly atmosphere.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »
I know the balance of old cRPG is terrible, but as I "always" said, when the game is fun and unserious, balance is but a minor problem. New cRPG is like over 9000+ other online arcade (read: no grinding) games, all about a super serious skill contest. Old cRPG was unique in the sense that it mixed a very skill-based gameplay (even with 10+ level differences, a duel ends up with the best player winning), MMO-like grinding (addictive) and an overall fun and trolly atmosphere.

This