Poll

What would you like to play?

Classic cRPG
153 (39.8%)
New cRPG
231 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Voting closed: December 24, 2011, 03:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Classic vs New cRPG  (Read 16040 times)

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
Re: Classic vs New cRPG
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2011, 02:41:22 am »
I'm sure half of you will be back when every single person is in plate like it used to be.  The rest will be back when every single person is also a horse archer with a plated horse, like it was heading before the upkeep patch. 

Yeah, I think the old cRPG was more fun than this one when everybody was still fairly low level and modestly equipped, but the "endgame" of the old cRPG was vastly inferior to the current cRPG. 

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2011, 02:53:10 am »
+1
Ugh... there is far more plate people in new cRPG...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2011, 03:31:26 am »
I want a chance at wild extremist builds and vastly unfair but extremely fun and addicting cRPG aka. Old cRPG.

Not this new trash where everything has a safety feature, and is "balanced".

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2011, 04:28:39 am »
Ugh... there is far more plate people in new cRPG...
too true.

The only thing different since then is the fear of 200 wpf and the illusion of mediocrity being king.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2011, 07:34:14 am »
Nah, I distinctly remember half the server population riding around on plated chargers and mamlukes as tincans, with crossbows, flamberges, lances, etc. The other half being assorted heavily armored hybrids. The new c-rpg has nothing on the old in terms of item stacking, especially of armor and horses, which is obvious and deducible if you have never even played the old version.

The only thing good about the old c-rpg was a more invested feeling you had in your character and even that could be a good or bad thing. Otherwise new c-rpg is better: more options, better balanced, more realistic, easier for new players, more features, better animations/collision detection, etc.

Old c-rpg is a step back. Nostalgic, chaotic, projectile happy, XP barn happy, yes, but not actually better if you divorce your personal anecdotal experiences and sentimentality from both options (at least, this is how I feel, arguments could be made as to why the old version is in fact mechanically superior).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:41:53 am by ArchonAlarion »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2011, 08:27:32 am »
And I distincly remember the masses of people not wearing heavy armor and the rarity of the plated charger.

Balance is shitty in both version.

Game balanced for new player = boringly carebearish.

New feature I agree with.

Anims and detection is shitty.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:56 am »
So... I'm not a vet, but this is my experience from trying this "old" c-rpg:

1. Go on server

2. Everyone on team is useless except for ranged and a couple of nolifers who have been levelling for the entire day

3. ARCHERS!

4. Rage more at archers

5. Get into a melee fight, 2 mins of grinding someone down with a pitchfork and 0 ps

6. Main objective seems to be to die in such a favorable position (= in the "center of mass") as possible, so you can grind your stats further

7. Meh'd

Obvious exaggregation, but really imo the mod has come far from this blatantly unbalanced, grind focused bullshit that this appears to be to me.

People call it "hardcore", but really? A game can be called "hardcore" when high skill is required to get into it, but this really just seems more focused around grinding, and rewarding those who play 24/7 so immensely isn't "hardcore" in any sense imo.

Now, to the good points:

People say combat used to be faster (well, for a selected few, the grinders), that I'd like to see return.

Some of the items are just "lol!", bring them back but fix their stats!

Strat battles I've been getting mixed input from. Some speak of hours of grinding down an immense amount of tickets while other say that it was much more fun due to being more active. I'll assume both are correct, but would like to see a faster pace to strat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:51:03 am by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »
+2
I'm sure half of you will be back when every single person is in plate like it used to be.  The rest will be back when every single person is also a horse archer with a plated horse, like it was heading before the upkeep patch. 

Yeah, I think the old cRPG was more fun than this one when everybody was still fairly low level and modestly equipped, but the "endgame" of the old cRPG was vastly inferior to the current cRPG.

The difference between the old and the new is that I used to play without plate or any high end equipment in the old version and still performed extremely well, in the new version if I want to do well I am basically forced to play a certain way with certain equipment that is effective. It's true if you play with silly weak weapons it will be harder, but at least if you were good enough you could still do so in the older versions.

This current version does away with all that, if you arent at least wearing medium armour and a nice heirloomed poleaxe/big 2 hander sword you are a waste in melee. As for ranged, that is a different matter entirely which I wont get into because I dont want to make a big post longer.

You still have the choice in this current version, but it is an illusion of a choice, afterall if you make something so bad that it isnt even worth considering then it can barely be called a choice at all can it?

I think too many people are obsessed about how big their score is, (which is nice from time to time just not ALL THE TIME), rather than how much fun they are having, although I apologise for this since ive repeated it far too much.

I enjoy freedom, some people enjoy domination. Maybe that is the conflict causer here.

If anything it is LESS balanced. The best idea of all to me would be to combine both, you can have the times 5's if you want along side the area of effect system.

But frankly the game is still a grind in the current version, what about those people running around at level 34+? They are rare sure, but that is even worse than the older one where anyone could get there in a reasonable amount of time, in this version noone who starts later could ever hope to catch up.

I should add that I dont hate the newer version, I just prefer this one, if it was left up I cant see any harm myself, it's not like chadz has to keep working on it alongside the new one, besides it already has some newer parts in it, like the earlier release attacks and certain animations.

ps: I suppose the biggest advantage I see in the older version is it's stability, I still occasionally skip, but it might be once every 3-4 maps, rather than every 30 seconds.

To add to this I find the animations much clearer and the blocking far more responsive. Incidentally it's weird how super fast sniper archery doesnt bother me that much in the old patch.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:16:19 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »
+1
old crpg=fun new crpg=lessfun

in new crpg  i am gen 16 5 mw items and 237k gold but still old one is way more fun for me

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Dolby

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dolby
  • IRC nick: Dolby
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2011, 05:42:07 pm »
old crpg=fun new crpg=lessfun

in new crpg  i am gen 16 5 mw items and 237k gold but still old one is way more fun for me
Thats true

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2011, 05:46:14 pm »
I went 12-2 with my 1 powerthrow rock-thrower with a scythe. (11 were rock kills).  I am having so much fun.  And no - archers were not OP, i keep killing them with my rocks :).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »
This reminds me of a silly effort to keep counter strike 1.5 alive when WON(cdkey auth) servers were shut off and steam just came out with cs 1.6. Sure people played it but in the end they just had to move on.

I suspect you are right, after all I personally love the older versions, however I severely doubt a lot of the current players share my sentiment.

People often feel the need to move forward with the current version when it comes to games and mods, possibly there is a sense that this is the 'legitimate' version and any others would be twisting the game somehow.

Or else they like the current patch of course. Anyhow I imagine it might wither and die, but I wish it wouldnt.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:25:56 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2011, 08:08:09 pm »
+1
I suspect you are right, after all I personally love the older versions, however I severely doubt a lot of the current players share my sentiment.

People often feel the need to move forward with the current version when it comes to games and mods, possibly there is a sense that this is the 'legitimate' version and any others would be twisting the game somehow.

Or else they like the current patch of course. Anyhow I imagine it might wither and die, but I wish it wouldnt.
check the poll results before 'a lot of players etc..'
It's sitting at 40% prefer classic coke, warts and all. The other 60% had no clue how to play a peasant anyway, and would rather play a more cerebral (i.e. tailored for slow thinkers) game like chess :P
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Braeden

• Earl
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 53
  • I hear the sound of drums
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Acre?
  • Game nicks: Braeden_Sanguine
  • IRC nick: Braeden
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2011, 08:46:49 pm »
+4
It takes old cRPG a while to get fully broken.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
Y'know Ratigan, I just plain see almost all those points in the exact opposite way.  I think the mean armor level was way higher toward the end of old cRPG than it is now.  Of course, the heirlooming of armor only became massively widespread afterward, so that's probably why one might see it differently.  Now that everyone knows how good armor heirlooms are, it will be even worse.  And as for personal experience, I found doing well without heavy armor is easier now than then.  I use a padded jack and a good one hander and do pretty well.  Back in the day, there'd be no way I could stand to use such a setup with all the armored horses with plated knights on them.  I suppose there could also be some discrepancy due to the Europe/NA divide.  We have some pretty obsessed people.  Then again, you guys had plate a long time before us, so who knows. 

Anyway, I may play the old cRPG for a bit while it's still young and awesome, but I know how it ends and will not be looking forward to it.