Poll

What would you like to play?

Classic cRPG
153 (39.8%)
New cRPG
231 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 383

Voting closed: December 24, 2011, 03:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Classic vs New cRPG  (Read 15992 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Classic vs New cRPG
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 05:04:58 pm »
+1
My point is that a certain proportion of the population will always resist change -- any change. As long as a clear majority approves of the changes made, chances are the mod is headed roughly in the right direction. The nostalgia-goggled whiners can just go suck an egg.

But by that measure - new cRPG is what people are used to so the 60% is resisting a change to include another older version that many never had the chance to experience and I would love a new change where everyone is a peasant again and you dont become a level 30 lord with all the gear you want in 2 days.  It would be very new because it would have the updates up to the point it was discontinued even though many of those changes happened while people were becoming OP.  I am just glad 40% of this community appreciates change.

Personally I love change and would appreciate having 1-2 servers with the old cRPG in place instead of only the current version of cRPG.  I would actually play again - i am down to 1-2 hours of cRPG in a week, if that.  I could see myself playing cRPG primarily again on servers using the old cRPG system and I know a dozen people off-hand who are similarly situated where they hardly play or dont play at all, but would come back to play old cRPG.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 05:08:49 pm »
devs, cant you see our tears?

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »
+2
Wish I could change my vote, classic crpg > new crpg. I started to play during the last months of crpg, got out of peasanthood and was around miltia level, altough I had ALOT more fun. Playing peasant was really fun and challenging, and when you got those kills, it felt GOOD. Picked up a spear as fast as possible to be able to poke tincans, with 3 shields to be able to do some life-saving and arrow blocking. Barely play anymore, everyone got the same builds, you can pick up any gear without any problems, it's all a grind to 31 to pick up a loom that gives you +1 dmg, and well, the epicness is lost.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 05:19:06 pm »
+1
That the majority of the people like the new cRPG, doesn't mean that there can't be a server running the old version. For newer players it would be great too I suppose, to see what all the fuss is actually about. Also everyone that build some nice nostalgia glasses over time will be remembered of how it actually was.

Offline Nurax

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Blah...
  • Game nicks: Hiragano
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:19 pm »
+1
But by that measure - new cRPG is what people are used to so the 60% is resisting a change to include another older version that many never had the chance to experience and I would love a new change where everyone is a peasant again and you dont become a level 30 lord with all the gear you want in 2 days.  It would be very new because it would have the updates up to the point it was discontinued even though many of those changes happened while people were becoming OP.  I am just glad 40% of this community appreciates change.

Personally I love change and would appreciate having 1-2 servers with the old cRPG in place instead of only the current version of cRPG.  I would actually play again - i am down to 1-2 hours of cRPG in a week, if that.  I could see myself playing cRPG primarily again on servers using the old cRPG system and I know a dozen people off-hand who are similarly situated where they hardly play or dont play at all, but would come back to play old cRPG.

This

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:19 pm »
+1
devs, cant you see our tears?

Wanders into the thread at the flag, reads it in context, curses and leaves...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2011, 11:12:15 pm »
+1
At fifteen, I had the will to  learn ; at thirty, I could stand ; at forty, I had no  doubts ; at fifty, I understood the heavenly Bidding ;  at sixty, my ears were opened ; at seventy, I could  do as my heart lusted without trespassing from the  square.

To be honest, the 2010 June-August era was the best. that with some slight fixes would kick ass.

The current cRPG is too stale and boring, and makes me GTX in 5 minutes.

PS: Sure, on classic we had annoyances like Birdman/etc, but those guys were one in a million.

The nostalgia-goggled whiners can just go suck an egg.

no u.

u_u
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:17:19 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:10 am »
While I preferred the classic CRPG it was becoming a tin can fest, and was totally unfriendly to newbs.  As a result from the way I remember it the player base was slowly disappearing and there was not enough new blood to replace the players that were leaving. So I understand the changes that were made and I have to agree these changes brought the mod from the brink of death.

But what I loved about the old crpg was the freedom to create a character that you really wanted, with the characteristics armour and arms that you really wanted and you could play in all the time.   I would love to come back to that. 

Now I think CRPG may be facing another challenge another brink of death moment were too many players are leaving and not enough new players coming in.   My suggestion is to go back to the core of what made the old crpg so good, but keep the new per minute exp and money pay out scheme, the skip the fun button and introduce a stamina bar to keep the tin cans in check and their tin can horses. 

Just my 2 cents.  It will be interesting to see what chadz and his team do next to keep the mod going.  I hope its something clever as I really really love this game and especially this mod and want to see it going for a long long time to come.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:26:17 am by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2011, 04:54:00 am »
+1
Too many players are leaving? Sure, player count took a hit when Skyrim and BF3 came out, but from what I've seen c-RPG still has at least as many players as ever. There's a vocal minority who keeps threatening to quit but then quietly crawls back the day after.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2011, 04:59:08 am »
Many of my old friends have quit or play so rarely that they might as well have quit :\. John/Thol barely plays, Gafferjack gave away his looms and quit, Patricia quit but still posts every 2 seconds on the forum, Troublesome hasn't technically quit but almost never plays, etc etc. The list could go on. There's still plenty of people of course, but the number of old-time crpg buddies that I have that still play are getting quite small. We still play native a bit, and other games, but not as much c-RPG.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:15 am »
Of course everyone knows people who've quit, but there's also new players coming in.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2011, 05:13:48 am »
+1
New people coming in are rarely able to replace friends who've left due to dissatisfaction, IMO.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2011, 05:17:52 am »
+1
New people coming in are rarely able to replace friends who've left due to dissatisfaction, IMO.

That's a weirld way of thinking :?

Old players, tired of the game leave and new, eager fresh blood joins = great no? Potential recruits, actual movement on the "player market" and instead of a bunch of grumpy "1.0! 1.0 Was THE SHIT NUBLETS WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS GAME BALANCE OMGWTFBBQ Dead mod zomfg!!!oneoneone" - vets.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2011, 06:05:59 am »

an opinion cant be used to establish a fact
no wait i see what you are saying
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:07:02 am by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:28 am »
Maaannn ya'll dun remember the REAL classic days... Warband Beta was the Golden Days
indeed

I used to love the ooooooold animations in warband back then :D
Crushthrough on side swings of the gm werent back either (or am I mistaken?)