Author Topic: GOOD FPS/ping, BAD weapon animation  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
GOOD FPS/ping, BAD weapon animation
« on: February 17, 2011, 02:17:14 pm »
I know I'm not the first to complain about this, and I'm not posting it to blame someone/something, but its getting pretty ridiculous for me to try to play at 100% efficiency.

Being a no-shield poledude doesnt help, because I need to react pretty fast to attacks if I dont want to die like a newbie; and I dont want to spam like a maniac all day long (I know, I'm hard to content :lol:).

Thus, I tried to look for ways to buff my FPS: I found some useful tips (like unchecking "load texture on demand", turning off "HDR" and "depth effect", keeping "instancing" and "auto-exposure" effect to still see shit IG; go http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount%26Blade/Configuration if you want some advice) and my FPS is now always around 40/80, with an "estimated performance" of 54% (was around 30% with my default configuration :mrgreen:).

My ping is always good (around 50/90, cable) and never had to buff it, so I think I'm lucky when I see players like Balton playing with 200+ (and he still find ways to go on a rampage).

Now I am at a loss when I see myself getting slaughtered by unseen weapon animation (or very late animation), cant block anything beside noob chambering (and sometimes it gets through :rolleyes:), and having my own weapon animation warp uncontrollably.

My request to you, ancient and experienced players, is the following : are there ways to counter such things from happening to me all the time, or is it a curse I will have to endure, like so many brothers in arms, for the rest of my playing time?

My thirst for kills is such that I have great difficulty to enjoy this situation.

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:19:03 pm by Butan »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: GOOD FPS/ping, BAD weapon animation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:20:36 pm »
Sadly, the only solution is to...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And pray that TaleWorlds hasn't stopped patching M&BWB.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Redgrave
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »
Just completely ignore graphics and drop settings as low as possible. 40-80 fps is one hell of a window and a big difference. With an estimated performance of 54% you will be fps-skipping/fps-lagging like fuck in massive fights, not to mention just standing around in sieges or 70+player maps. I play on settings I prefer due to being able to see easily (I have around 154% est. perf. and my fps still drops to 50s in massive siege fights for example). Turn off all shitty background apps, especially antivir if you use any.

Also 50-90 ping is a WAY too big a window for an aproximation, I see two options: Either you have way too huge jitter (Makes it terrible for playing. Basically, a consistent 100 is better than a shaky 60-90. Big jitter in general - your net sucks donkey cocks) or you like to adjust the numbers a bit to look better. Realistically for decent jitter it shouldnt go over 15-25, past that its noticably bad in the long term).

wat do?
First, dont lie about your fps/ping. Improve your cheaper pc parts (never, ever should you have under 80ish perf (rough estimation)) and/or get a new isp. Shit sucks brah but there is a huge advantage for people who have decent net and pcs. Still, unless your pc is from early 2ks you should be able to push at least a consistent 60. Remember that all fps past your monitor refresh rate is wasted, usual is 60 for lcds for example. Crpg has bad servers (4th ones are a bit better) in general, imo.
Adjust to your settings. Remember that vs laggy people with 200 ping you will still see odd stuff and notice they have lag armour.

Also, stop it with these unfunny image reactions. Its not tasteful, its not funny, its not classy, its childish. If you insist on using them on a forum at least use them sparingly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:58:54 pm by Fraemi »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:19:42 pm »
Shaddap, Fraemi. You don't know what you're talking about.

I get these shitty animations with 40-50 ping and stable 120 fps.

And this is a lie. "Remember that all fps past your monitor refresh rate is wasted, usual is 60 for lcds for example."
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:21:25 pm »
I play with "28% perf", setting everything to maximum, and FPS don't even change by one when compared to minimum settings.

Usually, getting killed when you are out of range of someone (out of range on your pc, client side) just means the server has an hard time computing everything correctly, or someone near you (maybe yourself) is having bad ping, thus activating the congestion prevention mechanism and slowing down the rate of sending of the packets. Because your client is extrapolating positions when he doesn't get the server update, weird things can "happen" for you, but not on the server.

Having from time to time a bad ping yourself will likely cause those issues by itself, for you and others.

Just imagine you are fighting someone and when you loose the connexion, he is going backwards. Your client knows that guy is going backwards, he waits for the server to send new info about the enemy's direction and position, but doesn't get it. But he has to show you something so he starts from the assumption the enemy is still moving in the last direction he was moving. So you see the guy still going backwards, and you are now away from his range. Now let's say the packet arrives. The client syncs himself to the new information. Let's say in reality your enemy did not continued to go backwards, but forward then swing and killed you.

This is a rather extreme situation but can happen. In this case, you'll see the enemy teleporting and killing you in a flash (the client is running the game faster to catch the server time).

These sorts of issues aren't likely to be linked with graphic options or client computing load. 50-90 ping is perfectly playable, but might be laggy with congested servers

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:29:41 pm »
Shaddap, Fraemi. You don't know what you're talking about.

I get these shitty animations with 40-50 ping and stable 120 fps.

And this is a lie. "Remember that all fps past your monitor refresh rate is wasted, usual is 60 for lcds for example."

I get messed animations about once in a hundred and thats in high player amount servers which I usually avoid. I get 50-60 ping in average and I my fps is capped at refresh rate of monitor, that being a stable 75. Warband has a rather mediocre to poor netcode but its hardly that bad. Besides op is clearly lying or has some super outdated hardware and poor net.

That is not a "lie" because your monitor cant display more than that. Check your monitors refresh rate, that is the max amount of fps your monitor can actually output PER SECOND (aaand you know what fps is).

I withdraw my estimates about estimated performance, I used to play a couple of times on a friends crappy pc with low settings and I got around 80-90fps on lowest, est. perf. was >100%. Apparently that doesnt always hold true.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »
My monitor's refresh rate is 60, yet there is a MASSIVE difference between 60 and 100 fps. In any game. Everyone who knows their shit knows that you need 100+ fps for good performance, over 200 being optimal.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »
hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anything in "reserve" is only useful if the game has "highs&downs" when more work is required from the pc or less, warband does this to a certain amount.
Oh, and  most of all placebo.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »
Not placebo. Fact.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »
Not placebo. Fact.

Should have added one of your stupid image reactions with that.

Back
it
up
with
research

Up to now what you have said is
>it are so
>yes it is

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »
Oh, you mean kinda like what you've done?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:25 pm »
Oh, you mean kinda like what you've done?

What I say is derived from known research and common logic.
Since you say that is incorrect you are free to prove me wrong by putting up arguments rather than ideas without any backup.

Here, read these articles and then do a google search and read some of the top recommendations. Id suggest you to read a book but I highly doubt you have any relevant to the subject.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »
Neither Wikipedia article helps your case. Quote the important parts if you think they do.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
Neither Wikipedia article helps your case. Quote the important parts if you think they do.

If you need me to quote anything you fail at grasping both concepts.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:10:16 pm »
Way to admit you're wrong, buddy ;)
Meaning lies as much