Author Topic: All these players leaving...  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Re: All these players leaving...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:33 pm »
+1
You should actually keep the crossbow and focus on killing archers.

I did archer for one gen and found that crossbows were the worst thing to fight.  The bolts fly so much faster than arrows and of course they can step out from behind a building cocked and ready to shoot.

The real problem are the people who insist on keeping 100% of their wpf in melee.  It makes them faster swingers than all the hybrids but they whine because they have no defense against ranged.  My last gen with 2h was 94 throwing wpf and something like 130 two-handed.  Lotsa archers got a heavy throwing axe upside the head.  That's really overkill, though.  All you really need are throwing daggers to stagger them when they run away.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
Wroooong, that is not how it works. Even more people should become ranged (I am going to, for example, mostly to join the mob) and then let the balance team decide if they want to rename c-rpg to M&B Warband: Counter Strike edition.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »
I did archer for one gen and found that crossbows were the worst thing to fight.  The bolts fly so much faster than arrows and of course they can step out from behind a building cocked and ready to shoot.
Arrows seem to fly faster than bolts to me. After spending most of my time doing archery, bolts seem to fall shorter than arrows

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:16:52 am »
+1
survival of the fittest
either adapt or go extinct :|

it makes me Q_Q that people are leaving but i have hopes that they will return it seems to be the case right now the people are trickling back to Crpg. it makes ME EVEN MORE sad when they give away their looms its too permanent for me personally i would rather see them every once in a while out of nowhere months from now a couple rounds and maybe them picking up the game again then the risk of them not wanting to play because they gave away their looms

to me its no big deal the "PLAGUE OF RANGED" i just went 1h/shield this gen in my attempt to adapt and survive.the only thing im concerned of is me getting rusty with Manual blocking it seems like i am always in a position where i cant put away my shield to keep my morderate blocking skills up to spec.ill try to be more tactical maybe that would help
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:10 am »
I would +1 that xbows are not fun to fight as an archer. If there's plenty of buildings to hide behind so they can reload before you can get to them.. the fight can last a while if they're not stupid.

Good luck with pure 1 hand. I have a 1 hand alt. Its fun especially since he wears a pope hat and wears crap gear. Its fun beating people with him. I have about 9 alts though so.. whatever.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:47:49 pm »
Archers are the easiest target for me when I use my arbalest. Light armour, tunnel vision, standing still. It's heaven. But sometimes I just gotta shoot a melee player. In some cases I bring out my long dagger out of respect, but it's not the same! Soldiarity brehs. Although remembering the last generation I went pure 1h... disastrous. Shat on by pretty much every class. xD
Professional poop cleaner

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:45 am »
+6
archers...

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 03:58:13 am »
+4
Ranged makes the game more interesting.  You actually have to care about and use terrain.

If some people had their way, every map would be a flat plain with greased up naked men slapping each other to death in the open.  Only 6 people would actually still play, and they would all be gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.  21st century and all that.  I'm not judgin.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »
+3
The whole of this game is one big delusion of skill anyhow.

But of course that depends upon your definition of skill. For me it is doing something that noone else can do and doing it better than any could have imagined, as well as inventing your own moves and abilities.

What it isn't, is some great big guy in a soup can with a fully heirloomed greatsword frothing at the mouth, pretending that muscle memory is a substitute for skill.
This game is losing players because it has become about effective builds using the most efficient gear and the best, most balanced, stats.

Individuality is nil since it wont you get anywhere, if you want to do well you must fit in with the masses on this module now. It used to be about originality and fun, now it has been fine tuned and sieved into a stat monger's wet dream. It's one thing to make oddball builds difficult, they always were, it's quite another to make them almost unplayable.

Oh also, the community is awful, that would put anyone off.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:30:29 pm by Templar_Ratigan »
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 02:36:18 pm »
+2
Ranged makes the game more interesting.  You actually have to care about and use roofs.

FTFY

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 02:56:52 pm »
a round of applause for the thread starter

Offline polkafranzi

• Marshall
  • Renown: 814
  • Infamy: 276
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • pronouns: Nick/her
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fun clan - Burg Krems, join with main or alt!
  • Game nicks: Adelheid, Wulfing, Hildebrand, Vulferam, Sepp, Pippa (r.i.p), Minjy
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:54 pm »
+1
In some cases I bring out my long dagger out of respect

That must take you back to the streets of SE London when you shanked all dem manz cos dey woz in da wrong postcode area innit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:21:27 pm by polkafranzi »

2024: selling my thirty odd +3 items for rl money, don't think i need them anymore tbh. pm me

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »

But of course that depends upon your definition of skill. For me it is doing something that noone else can do and doing it better than any could have imagined, as well as inventing your own moves and abilities.

What it isn't, is some great big guy in a soup can with a fully heirloomed greatsword frothing at the mouth, pretending that muscle memory is a substitute for skill.
This game is losing players because it has become about effective builds using the most efficient gear and the best, most balanced, stats.

Individuality is nil since it wont you get anywhere, if you want to do well you must fit in with the masses on this module now. It used to be about originality and fun, now it has been fine tuned and sieved into a stat monger's wet dream. It's one thing to make oddball builds difficult, they always were, it's quite another to make them almost unplayable.

+1

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2011, 08:44:41 am »

i suppose i +1 lol

it is kind of a cookie cutter system now that i think about it

u have to be str build if your melee or you will have a haaaarrd time

i tried so hard making agi build successful but all in all they just arent all that effective unless you have skill....

but to use the argument that if you had skill can be attached to any build and be true.but if that skilled player plays a str build he would do far more better then with a agi build

the same with "support" classes. if they cant hold there own that is pretty much nerfed imo
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31:21 pm »
+2
What....the....fuck? Muscle memory is exactly what skill is in this type of game. Is a professional football player skilled at what he does? I assume you would say yes to that, thats 80% muscle memory, 10% talent, 10% knowing what to do.

A skilled swordfighter, his skill consists pretty much completely out of muscle memory.

Your definition of skill sucks balls. No one is skilled according to it.

You'd better stick to this definition: 'Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.'

According to this definition, this is a skill game. Say you join this game as a complete noob. Someone tells you what the perfect 2h build is, gives you looms for the right armour and right twohander. Would you do good? No, cause you have no experience, you have no muscle memory as far as blocking and attacking goes, you have no knowledge of battle mechanics and maps, you have no idea how other classes work and have no idea of their strength and weaknesses.

Would you be able to get a kill? Probably, does that make this less of a skill game? No, it doesn't. It just shows that even the perfect player can still die and the worst player can still kill. Which is necesarry to keep this fun for all.

The lack of individiuality is also not as bad as you say. There are tons of armour combinations to choose from, tons of effective builds. There are tons of less effective builds, that players choose because they want to be original or because they see them as fun. You are an extreme form of one of these players. Your problem is not that the game mechanics lack individuality. Its your extreme desire for complete uniqueness that is your problem. No game offers that while still making you able to compete with the rest.
No game offers that, cRPG does a pretty good job.