Poll

Do horses need a buff?

Yes
93 (45.1%)
No
113 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Author Topic: Calvary needs a buff.  (Read 12853 times)

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Calvary needs a buff.
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »
IRL

This is not real life, all "realistically/really/irl" arguments are quite silly approach to GAME BALANCE (it's a game). It surly is valid if there is little less to discuss (we have two equally bad/good ways of doing it... which one is more realistic), but shouldn't be the main reason for balance in a quite unrealistic game.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »
Knowing both sides of a balance discussion does not devalue it, quite the opposite.

Stating a balant lie does not support your argument at all.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »
Heirloom a siege crossbow... steel bolts...

Heading down troll country, but my flesh is weak: Claiming a lie only *see your post*

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »
I have hierloomed siege crossbow. Three times already actually. With steel bolts, I'd say 20%-30% of my kills are when I one shot people. You can one hit horse only if he's charging at you or point blank to the head. So I believe I'm entitled to call your post a lie.

Offline Ragnarok

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2011, 02:48:33 pm »
if you dont use a war horse or over, your horse get oneshot pretty much every time as you do. I can understand why a courser would die pretty much in oneshot but slower mounts should have a bit more hp. Not more defense cause then melee attacks would just start getting bounced.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:51:54 pm by Ragnarok »

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »
I have hierloomed siege crossbow. Three times already actually. With steel bolts, I'd say 20%-30% of my kills are when I one shot people. You I can one hit horse only if he's charging at you or point blank to the head. So I believe I'm entitled to call your post a lie.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2011, 03:14:25 pm »
I don't know if you own mw sniper crossbow, but from my testing on duel server, courser wont die in one hit unless head shot or you get a speed bonus. If your horse dies in one hit, stop charging crossbowmen when they are aiming at you, because yes, either you, or your horse will get one shot. That is the speed bonus working against you. When you can prove that you can one shot 90% of people and horses, then there can be a discussion about it. Somehow I doubt it.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
>Implying i'm talking about courser

Seems to work well enough:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Try not to rip things out of context to much

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »
Well what's the discussion about then? I'm pretty sure I stated before that heavy horses are not worth it's cost, which implies that I would have no problem with either them being buffed or their cost reduced. Also what about the screen? So you managed to headshot my fun character. Good for you, I guess... Care to explain how is that relevant to anything?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »
I think the over dominance of throwing/crossbow weapons and 2 handers provides a bit of a problem for the low health horses (and most horses with good hp or armor are nearly impossible to pay for).

In the beginning it was mount and blade, now we have chuck and spam...

A basic rock paper siccsor system would be "inf beats horses" "Ranged beat inf" "Horses beat Ranged" ... but horses simply don't if they see you coming. My palfray (2x heirloomed) just dies to a single bow shot by a spected archer or a single siege crossbow bolt by some randrom mook with 0 wpf in crossbows.

Now look, such a balance is bound to fail for a simple reason. Archers can avoid cavalry by going on roofs, mountains, etc. while cavalry can escape infantry as long as they want. You can't counter someone who isn't forced to deal with you.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2011, 06:47:23 pm »
Lol. .I'm sry your horses can't charge into a mob and live through it all. But, the best way to use cav is to either wait until the majority of enemy infantry is engaged or go to a corner of the map with the other cav to duel it out there.

Another thing, maps play a BIG influence on what class is good or not. I haven't played on the EU servers that much but from what I've seen it's a lot of hilly maps with a village. And with one team commanding the village, maps like that are pretty difficult for cav. Its the same for NA servers. Lots of city maps.Ever since the patch this mod has been more focused on better strategy and tactics and Less on stats in general. Now that may not be true for siege server since that mode caters to infantry in general. Maybe instead of asking for a cav buff ask chadz or another server owner to put more open maps in rotation. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:03:40 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2011, 05:07:29 pm »
Lol. .I'm sry your horses can't charge into a mob and live through it all. if we trot around the mob we are dead too. But, the best way to use cav is to either wait until the majority of enemy infantry is engaged or go to a corner of the map with the other cav to duel it out there.

Another thing, maps play a BIG influence on what class is good or not. I haven't played on the EU servers that much but from what I've seen it's a lot of hilly maps with a village. And with one team commanding the village, maps like that are pretty difficult for cav. Its the same for NA servers. Lots of city maps.Ever since the patch this mod has been more focused on better strategy and tactics and Less on stats in general. Now that may not be true for siege server since that mode caters to infantry in general. Maybe instead of asking for a cav buff ask chadz or another server owner to put more open maps in rotation.
That means archers will get even more chance to shoot us down before we reach them, because we have no cover, there just is no map that preferrs cavalry anymore, ranged kills us at open "cavalry" maps, and ranged kills us in city maps.

What about armoured horses? They are means to charge into mobs, check their names: CHARGER, PLATED CHARGER, ...
but noone uses them cause they'r wa too expensive, and they are that slow, they die faster to ranged then non-armoured cav, because ranged spam ownz slow targets.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2011, 06:29:35 pm »
Learn to ride your horse then. There is plenty of cav that knows how to manouvere to avoid incoming projectiles when "trotting around the mob". If you just press W and hope for the best, you're doing it wrong.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2011, 07:24:30 pm »
Yes, cavalry has to hide behind buildings while the infantry kill the archers, so the cavalry can attack when the battle is over. And you ignored my other arguments.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »
Yes, cavalry has to hide behind buildings while the infantry kill the archers, so the cavalry can attack when the battle is over. And you ignored my other arguments.

No.
And I adressed your other argument in my previous posts, not gonna repeat it everytime someone is too lazy to read the thread he's posting in.