Author Topic: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?  (Read 13534 times)

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
Re: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2011, 03:59:29 pm »
+4
I'm writing the thread, but from my phone. Will post the whole thing when I get back from work in 1hr.

As for bandits and solo players. You need to make stuff they can do. Take bandits for an example - Introduce trade routs along roads which factions use for trade to their nearest accessible neighbours. Just like in Total War, bandits can jump into these and block all incoming trade and steal the wares for themselves. Factions need to secure their regions and borders and voila! More stuff for your standard faction grunt to do(instead of recruit camp in villages.) + bandit players. They have to actively patrol and watch the roads and borders.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2011, 04:20:48 pm »
I'm writing the thread, but from my phone. Will post the whole thing when I get back from work in 1hr.

As for bandits and solo players. You need to make stuff they can do. Take bandits for an example - Introduce trade routs along roads which factions use for trade to their nearest accessible neighbours. Just like in Total War, bandits can jump into these and block all incoming trade and steal the wares for themselves. Factions need to secure their regions and borders and voila! More stuff for your standard faction grunt to do(instead of recruit camp in villages.) + bandit players. They have to actively patrol and watch the roads and borders.

Or just make roads give 3x speed travel (ships 5x speed) so its the obvious choice for long distance travel (caravns take forever now), but they also become where bandits all congregate so you need regular patrols to clear them out (maybe even random bandit parties as well like single player with minimal gear and 50-70 troops, so no more 1 man caravans with 80 crates of goods).  if a merchant wants to avoid the risk, he can decide to go the much slower route of going through forests, plains, mountains, etc.  Would need to make limited possibility of seeing on the map people located in forests and mountains stronger.

With ships it would be set sea lanes (basically like a road, but favorable currents and winds) and pirates hang along the routes, but slower off the sea lane, but less dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:21:53 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Harafat_HRE
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
However, this roads and regions thing sounds .... complicated to code to say the least. Terrain in this strat implements that you have to go over plains as much as you can, avoiding forest, hills and mountains so basicly the roads are already there, they are just plains now.

I think starting with the random fiefs for factions would be a good beginning.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:25:01 pm by Harafat »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »
However, this roads and regions thing sounds .... complicated to code to say the least.

I think starting with the random fiefs for factions would be a good beginning.

Not really, its just a different terrain type.  So setting movement rate is the same as settng movement rate for forests, etc.  If a bigger map is being developed its not that hard to add a new terrain type called "road".  Sea I am not so sure about as ships seem harder to code, but chadz has already talked about working on roads and ships and how owning cities along the ocean was important this strategus because of ships.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

---

Anyway sounds like an idea with potential Phyrex, but abusable by splitting factions. I would be surprised the the devs approve a system whereby there have to manually approve new factions.

Personally I think this is the best solution to the current problems of strat http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,21567.0.html but I would say that wouldn't I.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »
+2
a guy who brags on the forums about how he never drinks and he charges into battle

You can't even read properly but that's not cRPG developer's fault, this "issue" goes all the way to your days of basic education (if you had any at all).
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »
You can't even read properly but that's not cRPG developer's fault, this "issue" goes all the way to your days of basic education (if you had any at all).

What you quoted has nothing to do with your statement about cRPG developers.  I don't really know what to say to you anymore, its kind of obvious you are some barely literate eastern european 15 year old boy that rants about archers constantly even though he spent most of cRPG playing an xbowmen and doesn't realize the hypocrisy.  I honestly pity you at this point and find it really difficult to feel any anger at such a  pitiful creature.

Oh and plazeck - that was the battle where you cheated so badly with glitching beyond the city walls, getting on inaccessible roofs past invisible walls behind the defenders and just camping as defenders even though attacking.  Of course in strategus 1.0 you and DRZ were absolutely notorious for the worst cheating and glitch abuses of any strat version.  Hell you guys even started with your first server, have yet to see you guys not glitch/cheat.

But back on topic - great idea Vibe and Phyrex, glad you started a thread about it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:17:44 pm by Keshian »

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »
+1
I don't really know what to say to you anymore, its kind of obvious you are some barely literate eastern european 15 year old boy that rants about archers constantly even though he spent most of cRPG playing an xbowmen and doesn't realize the hypocrisy.

And it says someone who has in profile

The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »
+2
its kind of obvious you are some barely literate eastern european 15 year old boy that rants about archers constantly even though he spent most of cRPG playing an xbowmen and doesn't realize the hypocrisy.  I honestly pity you at this point and find it really difficult to feel any anger at such a  pitiful creature.

:)

Obvious fail is obvious. I think its more then clear who needs to be pitied around here.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2011, 06:52:26 pm »
:)

Obvious fail is obvious. I think its more then clear who needs to be pitied around here.  :wink:

You.  :wink:

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2011, 08:25:43 am »
+4
Lock this useless thread .. every time we try to discuss Strategus , it always end with enemies trash talking and trolling ...

Oh and mute Kesh again ? :D (<3)

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2011, 03:36:12 pm »
+3
funny observation

One crabebear alliance started by mercs to kill "another" carebear alliance is unhappy because their carebear alliance failed to develop on the map. And then even split up and at war with eachother.
Then NA (FCC) carebear alliance, worried that their ass is in danger grouping up with whats left of Mercs carebear alliance.

I think only factions that could moan about crabear alliances are factions with no allies. Like Nords, Chaos or LLJK.
But instead all factions who involved in alliances moan and complain about alliances.

:D
when UIF looks at you

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »
funny observation

One crabebear alliance started by mercs to kill "another" carebear alliance is unhappy because their carebear alliance failed to develop on the map. And then even split up and at war with eachother.
Then NA (FCC) carebear alliance, worried that their ass is in danger grouping up with whats left of Mercs carebear alliance.

I think only factions that could moan about crabear alliances are factions with no allies. Like Nords, Chaos or LLJK.
But instead all factions who involved in alliances moan and complain about alliances.

:D

Except your alliance is 10x the size of any other alliance.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:27 pm »
Except your alliance is 10x the size of any other alliance.

EXACTLY.  Thats what makes it carebear.  Every neighbor is your ally, hell all the neighbors of your neighbors are allies, all but 2-3 EU fiefs are allied with you.  Thats carebearing.

Offline Nebun

• Duke
  • Renown: 532
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • - BAD BECAUSE RUSSIAN -
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2011, 05:24:25 pm »
+4
x10????
damn if there would be so much, strategus would end in first week, so if u all put together your armies, like Mercs 4.5k, and lets assume all ur other factions can put something similer on the table, same or less. it would end up in about 30k minimum, this means that west faction between themselves should have about 300k army? :)) if so FCC why u still got land on the map?

this is just plain propaganda

not to mention that only about half of western factions active, and half of players of active clans playing other games right now :)
what do u have to moan about kesh?
When you leave your own carebear alliance and stay as single faction I will listen to everything u got to say about alliances :) But for now its just a lot of hypocrite bullshit

when UIF looks at you