Author Topic: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?  (Read 12659 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2011, 03:07:55 pm »
+1
Yes, that's what I meant, withdraw able.

That's another issue that would spring up. The big factions splitting into smaller ones.

Random faction spawn locations would help here as well. Take DRZ for instance, if you decided to split up into 3, you'd still spawn randomly and all your neighbours are equally strong. Sending reinforcements to the other side of the map is not feasible. You'd have to march for days or even weeks in the worst case scenario.  Through hostile regions and you'd end up with no defenders at all at your starting location. Don't forget the upkeep as well.

Either way, this is a great idea. Tie troop and gold income to fiefs (& random spawns). Deserves it's own thread, can you be arsed making one?

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
Re: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2011, 03:08:44 pm »
+3
Problem here is, how would a faction capture their first fief?

As for the neighbours and random faction spawns, you would need to lock factions down from moving to have that work. If you have them spawn at random locations they can always move to their allies and lock down an area.

Now if we combine both problems there's a good solution that comes to mind - have a faction get a free fief at start at a random location. This way you have troops from start and you can't just move anywhere you want (atleast at start).

Exactly my thought.

Factions would sign up for each Strategus round and then be given a starting village.

Hell, why not build on that concept further? You can upgrade your villages to Castles or Towns. The possibilities are endless.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »
+1
Exactly my thought.

Factions would sign up for each Strategus round and then be given a starting village.

Hell, why not build on that concept further? You can upgrade your villages to Castles or Towns. The possibilities are endless.

Your idea is a nice base to build upon, that's for sure. That's why I insist that we put it in it's own thread :D

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2011, 03:17:25 pm »
+1
Alright, give me a moment, writing from my iPhone.
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »
Well, interesting, but one more thing to consider: the big factions would split not in two but in may more factions, like lets say 5. Some of them will be closer than others. All will co-operate. Some will abandon their locations at some stage to conquer other''s land, to concentrate the power. Deals will be made between players to swap fiefs - even if it only means ablility to hide in them . It may not resolve any issue after all, but the start would be surely interesting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zaharist

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 76
  • cRPG Player
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2011, 03:22:02 pm »
Exactly my thought.

I like the idea of factions formed before start of the round and then randomly spawn on map.
but what if you don't want to play in this faction any more? quit and form new one? Exploitable, if we talk about any disadvantages of having too many fiefs or players
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:23:20 pm by Zaharist »
Igni et ferro

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »
+1
I like the idea of factions formed before start of the round and then randomly spawn on map.
but what if you don't want to play in this faction any more? quit and form new one? Exploitable, if we talk about any disadvantages of having too many fiefs or players

I guess this could be dev controlled, aka devs actually approving factions before they can enter strat.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2011, 03:37:08 pm »
+1
Interesting concept. I would be for it..

Would have to watch clans forming one massive faction and enrolling as just that one faction. If that was possible it would not change anything.
Leader of BS

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Harafat_HRE
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
+1

Best idea i've read in this pile of junk yet.

+1 and give it it's own thread plz !

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:32 pm »
+1
Interesting concept. I would be for it..

Would have to watch clans forming one massive faction and enrolling as just that one faction. If that was possible it would not change anything.

This is exactly what this change prevents. So many clans spawning as one faction would mean that they only get ONE starting fief for many clans. A lot worse option than each clan having their own fief.
Also, since troops/gold would all be fief based I guess this would give more incentive to fight over them.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2011, 03:44:46 pm »
+1
yeah 10 pages of BS and a decent idea. Glad I stuck to it and read thru.. There would also need to be a minimum player amount to request a faction and fief. hate to see 1 man factions with a fief... or big clans splitting into smaller ones to get several.

maybe have an option in the beginning to pick faction or bandit. If you have a faction you get a fief and if you pick bandit you are placed with other like minded bandits get a neutral fief or impliment bandit hideouts
Leader of BS

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »
+1
Also, this random starting point thingy, would make trading and raiding a lot more interesting for the factionless players and bandits. With this you would be doin the clans a favour (more action, more war), and the clanless people. I dont see how any1 could be opposed to this, except possible exploits ofc

Edit: And ofc, in the end, the larger alliances would have the upper hand, but thats only natural. Be4 this happens the game would be a lot more interesting for everybody

2nd edit: Whoever came up with the idea, plz make a sperate thread for this, i will if it hasnt been done by tonight, but i dont want to steal any1's thunder
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:50:55 pm by Harafat »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »
+2
yeah 10 pages of BS and a decent idea. Glad I stuck to it and read thru.. There would also need to be a minimum player amount to request a faction and fief. hate to see 1 man factions with a fief... or big clans splitting into smaller ones to get several.

maybe have an option in the beginning to pick faction or bandit. If you have a faction you get a fief and if you pick bandit you are placed with other like minded bandits get a neutral fief or impliment bandit hideouts

Good idea. We still haven't covered how we would handle solo players with this idea. There should be a minimum player count for making a faction, solo players could join the neutral faction (called bandits or whatever), neutral faction would have a fief or two that could not be conquered.

Edit: And ofc, in the end, the larger alliances would have the upper hand, but thats only natural. Be4 this happens the game would be a lot more interesting for everybody

In the end perhaps, but random spawn locations at start prevents from forming alliances right away and locking down an area.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:53:28 pm by Vibe »

Offline Harafat

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2011, 03:52:38 pm »
However, this would imply the end of the EU/NA split, which would be a good thing imo.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:58:21 pm by Harafat »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:01 pm »
+1
hahaha rickrolled you with the 2nd edit!

fixd :3

In any case, this is a much better solution than what we have now.