Author Topic: Give archers some of their melee power back!  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Give archers some of their melee power back!
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »
With the great hybridization nerf archers lost a lot of their ability to fight effectively in melee. To use a proper bow and have sufficient ammunition they would have to use either a 0 slot or a 1 slot weapon. Both aren't too fantastic. Combined with low wpf and nearly no armour for maximum archery accuracy, they basically can't do shit in melee.

First I thought this change was a good thing. It would be unfair if you could be an effective archer, and then when the enemy closes in, be decent at melee too. But this resulted in archers running away whenever the enemy got near. Which I think is one of the most annoying things in this game, almost as annoying as roofcamping. Something which might partly be caused by the same thing.

I think archers should be able to be more decent in melee. Alternatively, the hardcore archers could be made very slow, so they can't run away. Two ways to fix the same problem, make them better at melee, or make them unable to run.

Ofcourse being better at archery should cost them in melee power, but I doubt this running behaviour was intended. I'd rather have a good fight then a chase. If you give up the chase they start shooting you, incredibly frustrating.

I have a few ideas to fix the running, if you agree with me feel free to suggest your own ideas.

- Make bows when held very heavy, so archers won't be able to run fast while holding their bow, forcing them to switch to a melee weapon and fight or run with the melee weapon. Might need to buff archery if this gets implemented.

- Make two sets of arrows cost 1 slot, so they can have a proper melee weapon.

- Make drawing when running impossible, atleast for the two slot big bows.

- Make the wpf decrease with armour less significant, so they can wear some armour, if they can pay it.

- Decrease acceleration when holding a bow specifically, leave their topspeed intact though.

Ofcourse ladders should be removed regardless of anything, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:44:50 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
Re: Give archers some of their melee power back!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »
+3

Im fine with everything except for this.

They shall take 1 Stack if they want a decent melee weapon.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:35:01 pm by B3RS3RK »
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:36:37 pm »
Make them use only one quiver, it will insist on archers to take part in malee fights as they will have less arrows. On the other hand they will camp more  :lol: ... not good idea  :|

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »
+1
That's actually a great idea! Also, make my sword throw bolts of force while you're at it. That way, EVERYONE can fight at both short and long range.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 08:49:00 pm »
+6
Archers correct me if im wrong but the archers who would normally stand and fight if engaged in melee do now anyway.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »
No thanks, the age of robocop archer + 2h is over already it was crazy and i do not want it back. Not even a shield would help against a roboarcher since they can simply fight you in melee being pretty much just as good.

No, no, no and no, get a shield. :)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »
Go to hell Gravoth the shield slows you down too much to keep up with the archers.

I had a plated archer with 70 wpf a longsword a hornbow and some arrows, never ran out of arrows and I could melee good. But now its out of cash and I rspec'd it as a 1h archer with 2 stacks of arrows to play in siege.

Edit: A shield is good to block arrows, sure, but the weight means you'll never reach the fucker pew pewing you. The archer should be mostly screwed if engaged in melee and cav should rape them to hell and back.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:11:33 pm by Bobthehero »
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:45 pm »
Go to hell Gravoth the shield slows you down too much to keep up with the archers.

I had a plated archer with 70 wpf a longsword a hornbow and some arrows, never ran out of arrows and I could melee good. But now its out of cash and I rspec'd it as a 1h archer with 2 stacks of arrows to play in siege.

Edit: A shield is good to block arrows, sure, but the weight means you'll never reach the fucker pew pewing you. The archer should be mostly screwed if engaged in melee and cav should rape them to hell and back.

Just use the shield to block arrows, dont engage archers in 1on1 instead try pushing them out in the open, atleast thats what i try to do.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

This would be jummy in strategus
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 12:28:36 am »

You can still catch archers with a shield, HURR DURR I'M BOB I RUN A FUCKING 30/9 BUILD IN FULL PLATE, SHIELDS ARE TOO HEAVY CAN'T CATCH ARCHERS.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:36 am »
I used to play a shielder and I have a shielder alt.

And I got upkeep raped recently, so its back to the shitty paper gambeson.
And I have 31 strenght and throwing daggers to kill archers.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 1626
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:24 am »
No thanks, the age of robocop archer + 2h is over already it was crazy and i do not want it back. Not even a shield would help against a roboarcher since they can simply fight you in melee being pretty much just as good.

You're one of the better polearmers on EU server and you have that special thing called polestun. You'll do just fine.

And not many archers are good in melee. Many can block decently but they aren't good at attacking.

On topic: For this to happen, slot system should be removed.

And if that ever happens and WM get buffed a bit I'm 100% sure that Chase would instantly respec into such hybrid archer.

Even I would install the game again and respec my nearly lvl 34 pure 2H to lvl 33 archer-melee hybrid.

I can imagine the faces of those who get close to Chase and then he pulls out his Danish GS and annihilate them just as efficient as he does now :D

Yeah give melee power to archer, we'll all be archers in that case.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:13 am »
Why dont we just give lazer blasters to everyone.100 pierce, 100 missile speed, 100 speed rating, 1000gold and 0 slot.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1710
  • Infamy: 2827
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 02:32:46 am »
I actually want this to happen.

I do want to play sub 7 armor weight (I already decoded what I'll wear), 160 archery wpf, 100 2h wpf lvl 34 archer with 18 str 24 agi, 6 PS/PD 8 WM/AGI. I would be using loomed longsword, loomed horn bow and one (two if they make it possible) stack(s) of loomed bodkin arrows (34 total).

My armor would be fully loomed as well and I would have 13 head, 40 body and 35 leg armor. And I would be good looking archer on top of that.

100 active wpf and longsword would make me pretty strong and annoying in melee and I would still be able to kill most people in 3 or 4 shots.

Paul, make it happen!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 02:36:30 am »
Keep in mind that any buff to archers (who pay more skills then usual due to being able to hurt anyone anywhere) will also buff horse archers (who pay the highest of any "class" skill wise and equipment wise for obvious reasons).

Be careful what you ask for.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.