Poll

Why don't you enjoy playing on EU 1 ?

Lots of ranged makes the game unplayable ...
Lots of cav charging from everywhere makes the game unplayable...
Lots of melee attacking from everywhere makes the game unplayable (Explain how please)
I think EU_1 is fine . I like how it is.
Main problem is ladders to roofs , the amount of ranged is fine.
I don't know about gameplay but with this upkeep , i can't play...

Author Topic: [POLL] About EU_1 Battle.Why its no fun anymore ? Or is it fun ?  (Read 20015 times)

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [POLL] About EU_1 Battle.Why its no fun anymore ? Or is it fun ?
« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2011, 03:02:12 pm »
I just want to throw in two things that come to my mind that could perhaps, under certain circumstances and with a lot of luck shift the relation between ranged and melee fighters into the right direction again. Unlike usually this time I am everything but sure my suggestions are good, so I just mention them and explain them shortly, and someone might pick them up and either support or decline them.

1st: With WSE more or less anything is possible, that's at least what the devs said. How about dividing damage types into ranged an melee damage? This way you could make certain things (horses, armours, shields) extraordinarily resistant to ranged damage, while still being vulnerable to melee. Horses would be such an item, making light cavalry a better archer hunter. (Which, on the other hand, would make horse archers more of a bitch... hhmmm...  :? )

2nd: Perhaps it's the wrong approach to try to lower the amount of archers by nerfing them and making them unattractive? How about making the other classes, especially infantry more attractive? You could lower the item weight of shields and melee weapons. Of course this would buff cavalry as well, but item weight is not so much of a problem for them. Or you could make a bigger "gap" between the protection values of light and medium armour. I still say that infantry is the least attractive class of all three "supra-classes".

Nice ideas. Especially about using the WSE to balance better, like lighter shields. They could make the 1-2 skill shields lighter but less appealing to true sword & boarders (reduce speed?..kinda unintuitive but the idea is to allow 2 handers to be protected and not be overly weighed down, while not making them OP for 1 handers)

Another thing is to me if you apply all your damage from range you should get some kind of balancing to reflect that safety, like being a glass cannon. Even archers/crossbowmen can be quite heavily armoured and have the same HP as everyone else.

I was also thinking that it would be more "PVP" to encourage archers to priorities other archers / horses rather than melee fighters, by making their damage type unique for low armoured characters and making sure all range guys have low armour. Maybe chain or higher will do significantly less damage than leather/cloth and ensure range character will use that armour type. Also make the stagger or interrupt they do when they do damage based on the amount of damage they deal. ATM it seems as long as you hit someone they get the interrupt for the same length no matter the damage.

I'm also not sure about ladders. Where you place ladders can have a nice impact on a map and make people play it a bit differently. But they do make it so much easier for people to play safely like they're sniping in some FPS game. Maybe make it so you can't damage them? But then you will get griefing. I have a feeling just removing them is the easiest option but then the maps may be played the same way each time. They are very 1 dimensional atm and only used for archers to get into safe areas.

Personally I don't want a game without all the character types, ranged adds to the depth a bit imo and makes you approach situations differently to how you would if it was pure melee. But it feels a bit too "snipey" without the archers having to sacrifice much for their damage, either by putting themselves at risk or being encouraged to play strategically
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 03:30:34 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2011, 03:29:08 pm »
 :)
I don't know enough

Offline Kraaken

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »
I don't like the ideas about constraining and limiting the classes, I think the problem is the teamwork as it has been already mentioned before. It would be nice to have some kind of system encouraging teamplay (like more XP for assissting the leaders ) or better communication between the players.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »
SOLUTION could be to keep multiplicator but also a system from before: XP for being in the fights, near the kills. So rangers still get XP, but melee players will be getting more. Encourage fighting/shooting nearby.

@GRUMBS: Archers DO try to target other archers, but depends on the awereness like all archer kills: Shooting unaware enemy is easier than aware enemy, like 10 times as easy: archers KNOW this so they move between shots and dodge without even being shot at. Melee players get concentrated on a fight, forget to keep dodging, bam. SO since ammo is limited, archer wishing to do most DMG and help his team most WILL target unaware fighters in melee because enemy archers are always watching for the dodge. But you know: Rock>Scissos>Paper>Rock>Scissos>Paper>Rock>Scissos>Paper>Rock>Scissos>Paper>Rock>Scissos>Paper>Rock>Scissos>Paper.......
I don't know enough

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2011, 05:25:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Thanks, finally someone answered.

I don't know how much the following idea would go against the principle of cRPG for free character development, but how about changing the character skill system in the following way:

Next to strength and agility you get three more attributes, I will just call them Blue Blood (BB), Hawk Eye (HE) and Heavy Grunt (HG).

Now let's watch the skills (the numbers in the brackets show the relation between the skills and the corresponding attribute)

Agility skills are:

- athletics (1/4)
- riding (1/4)
- shield (1/4)
- horse archery (1/4)
- weapon master (1/4)

Strength skills are:

- Iron Flesh (1/4)
- Power Strike (1/4)
- Power Draw (1/4)
- Power Throw (1/4)

As you see, except of the relation of the needed skills nothing changes here.

Next to this you have the choice of unlocking ONE of the following skill trees:

Blue Blood

- Dressage Riding (1/3) [Riding Skill]
- Jousting (1/3) [Weapon Master]
- Melee training (1/3) [Power Strike]
- Defense (1/3) [Shield Skill]

Hawk Eye

- Strong Back (1/3) [Power Draw]
- Strong Shoulders (1/3) [Power Throw]
- Marksman (1/3)[Weapon Master]

Heavy Grunt

- Strong Right Arm (1/2) [Power Strike]
- Strong Feet (1/3) [Athletics]
- Strong Body (1/2) [Ironflesh]
- Strong Left Arm (1/2) [Shield Skill]
- Experienced Warrior (1/3) [Weapon Master]

As you can see some skills have received different names, but remain actually the same. Concerning the attributes all new attributes count as "Strength".

Technically it's easy:

The skills ingame remain the same. Only the skill screen on your character page gets some kind of "mask", and you can only change your skills via this mask.

Same skills and attributes get added. This means someone with Strength 6, Heavy Grunt 9, Iron Flesh 2 and Strong Body 4 has 15 stregth ingame (important for weapon difficulties) and Iron Flesh 6.

The Idea behind this is to limit the access to skills you class doesn't need really, and also balancing the different amounts of skills some classes need to work properly.

This is an example, of course, and please don't hang yourself up on some values, it's just an example to show how it could be made with making the skill system more complicated.

The only thing I think that could be more complicated is making the difficulty values for different weapons. E.g. a Flameberge could have difficulty 18 concerning "Heavy Grunt" points or difficulty 9 concerning "Strength" points. Or, for example, 1 Strength and 15 HG, 2 strength and 12 HG and so on. You get it? You have to waste your valuable class attribute points for strength to use weapons your class is not meant to have.

For example an axe could have Heavy Grunt difficulty 12, Hawk Eye difficulty 15 and strength difficulty 9.

Something like that. I already discovered a few flaws, but it's just a suggestion for thinking into a direction.  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Rage_Guy

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 123
  • cRPG Player
  • L to the ATVIA, bitch.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »
bullshit,just remove pierce from bodkins

Offline bonekuukkeli

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Xawi_von_Perkele
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »
Make it so that when you destroy ladder, it drops down as object you can use again. Like this melee at ground still have choise to rebuild ladders and reach those campers.

And... better map planning. There's really nice maps out there where archers ain't problem at all.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2011, 11:21:19 pm »
the evil root of roofcampers are maps which allow it
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2011, 03:22:01 am »
+1
Here, just for you.

This is against Nord_Hans, lvl 27, 7pd 151archery wpf, +3 rus bow and +3 tatar arrows
On my character I got 18 strength, 2 ironflesh, 62 body armor:

Running towards;
(click to show/hide)

Standing still;
(click to show/hide)

And one of the shots when we tested did almost no dmg at all:
(click to show/hide)

Now I wonder how that would be against bodkins!
just thought id bump this up again, since its solid proofs, before paul comes in with his archer propaganda

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2011, 10:57:35 am »
Yeah Rufio, this is bullshit!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2011, 11:33:05 am »
Wat? I did similar tests and calculations. What is your point? My is that tatar and bodkins aren't that different damagewise after patch while people still hug that bodkins horribly OP myth. Do you want to take 6 arrows or more in your armor? Do you want archers only to shot other archers while you meleegay undisturbed? Also, get some more IF.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2011, 11:42:17 am »
i have 21 str and 5 if paul, i think that is way more then the average player, but thx , and ofc be free to go on with ur game killing archer propaganda, and il keep lobbying against it

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2011, 11:51:23 am »
That's fucking bullshit. Archers are one of the weakest classes and without the roof camp thingy they will be fucked even more. And I still hope chadz will agree to ladder removal for battle at some point.
There had been a long history of archer nerfs and while I keep them in mind most people do forget them. PD wpf reduction, ammo nerf, damage nerf(in the beginning every bow/arrow was pierce), shot speed nerf, jump shot removal, armor restriction, melee weapon restiction (slot system), a lot slower than Native animations, etc.
As an individual in cRPG it usually sucks to be an archer. However for Strategus archers rule. That caused the increased amount of archer (mains) for me. People get shot more often and then rage about it.

Also you said that you have 2 IF before.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:06:39 pm by Paul »

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2011, 11:52:42 am »
Wat? I did similar tests and calculations. What is your point? My is that tatar and bodkins aren't that different damagewise after patch while people still hug that bodkins horribly OP myth. Do you want to take 6 arrows or more in your armor? Do you want archers only to shot other archers while you meleegay undisturbed? Also, get some more IF.

if you want them to make so much damage, why they need to be so precise? balance things ffs

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
if you want them to make so much damage, why they need to be so precise? balance things ffs

It's better to create skill requirements than spray-and-pray class. Anyway, with my 15 STR and 3 IF i still am 2hit killed using 53 body armor (yep, 2 body shots), and 1 hit killed by xbow. I find it distasteful, as my armor don't really help against arrow despite huge cost, weight (speed reduction) and double-triple looms.

Archers aren't weakest class, they can run away from melee with impunity, thanks to high weight of shields and low weight of bows and quivers.