Author Topic: [Suggestion] Lords, Traders and Peasants  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
[Suggestion] Lords, Traders and Peasants
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:22:20 am »
I posted this in the fief owner rewards thread but it got a bit lost so I figured I'd post it again here.

Basically, I've tried to come up with a way to limit the effectiveness of the larger clans that have comparitively more grinders than their smaller counterparts.  The only answer I could come up with was to remove the grainders altogether from the Strat Map, leaving just the people that are actually active and want to play strat itself instead of just fightint the Strat Battles.  So, here's exactly what I've come up with so far.

1)  Split the cRPG community in 3.  Peasants, Traders/Raiders and Lords

Peasants - are people that have no interest in Strat beyond fighting the organised Strat Battles.  As such they would have no actual character on the Strat Map would would still be able to fight in the Battles.  This will be the majority of the cRPG community

Traders/Raiders - are people that want the chance to actively use Strat to make some extra cash for their cRPG characters and are therefore playing Strat for personal gain.  Alternatively, they are people looking to make money for their lords by actively playing strat.

Lords - are people that want to own fiefs, fight wars and play at diplomacy.  These are the majority of the current faction leaders plus a few others.

2)  Making sure Lords/Traders really are Lords/Traders and not just inactive peasants helping out their friends.

This bit is based on chadz recent fief rewards idea.  However it works backwards and instead makes Lords and Traders/Raiders pay in cRPG experience for their places in Strat.  The simplest way of doing this is for all Lords and Traders to pay a set XP fee per day which they can then make back (or even improve upon) through their strat actions.  Below is a list of my suggested XP fees and rewards

Strat Fee for Traders and Lords - 500,000 XP per day
XP bonus from selling goods to a fief - 1000 XP per 1 gold made

XP bonus from owning a Village - 100,000 per day
XP bonus from owning a Castle - 500,000 per day
XP bonus from owning a Town - 1,000,000 per day
+ 1000 XP per visiting fee and trade tax income

So - a trader that crafts 24 goods for 10 gold each, moves for 1 day to sell them for 50 gold will make an overall profit of 1800 Strat Gold (which they can either spend in Strat or convert to cRPG), and a profit of 200,000 cRPG XP.
Raiders can just steal those goods and sell them which gives the same potential XP gains but even greater gold gains :D
Lords meanwhile break even if they get a castle, make masses if they manage to capture one of the Towns but still need to find goods to sell if they want to recoup their playing fee.

Overall this will massively depopulate Strat whilst leaving just the active and interested Strat players.  Clans meanwhile will remain intact as they will still be needed for rosters and better battle organisation.

Finally - there will need to be a mechanism for fief owners to temporarily revert to being a peasant for when they are on holiday etc.  Something that sends their fief back to being neutral whilst freezing their built up assets would be good here.

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
Re: [Suggestion] Lords, Traders and Peasants
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:23:28 am »
+1
I find your use of Peasant distasteful. I would consider changing it to Mercenary.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:35:13 am »
Peasants should be people not interested in any aspect of strat at all, not even the battles. This idea has potential.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:55 am »
+1
Peasants should be people not interested in any aspect of strat at all, not even the battles. This idea has potential.

You forsake all peasants in your hypocracy. If you truly believed what you said, you would not have replied at all, self proclaimed peasant.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:18 pm »
Actually, it is based on unjustified assumption that "Peasants" do not want to become "Lords", "Lords" hold fiefs (which is neither true nor sensible atm), and that "Traders/Raiders" are not clans leaders, interested in both personal and clan gain.

In other words, making such slots will do more harm than good to Strat.

"Overall this will massively depopulate Strat whilst leaving just the active and interested Strat players.  Clans meanwhile will remain intact as they will still be needed for rosters and better battle organisation." I seriously doubt if this idea will gain applause among active Strat players and even devs.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:11:23 pm »
Hundreds of thousands of XP for fief owners just for sitting there? No! Esp. as most fief owners will be players which are playing much on cRPG anyway. Why give them additional XP for nothing?
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »
Hundreds of thousands of XP for fief owners just for sitting there? No! Esp. as most fief owners will be players which are playing much on cRPG anyway. Why give them additional XP for nothing?

Please read the post properly before commenting

Village owners will still lose 400,000 XP per day and will need to make up that shortfall by other active means.

Castle owners will make 0 XP overall per day, but castles are hard to take and are limited in number.

Towns are the only fief that gain you XP for merely owning them however Towns are extremely hard to take and are extremely limited in number (24? off the top of my head).  This means there will be a very high demand for towns with the aim that they change hands a lot.

Therefore at most 24ish people will gain XP for doing nothing and they will have had to do a hell of a lot to get to that stage.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:46 pm »
Actually, it is based on unjustified assumption that "Peasants" do not want to become "Lords", "Lords" hold fiefs (which is neither true nor sensible atm), and that "Traders/Raiders" are not clans leaders, interested in both personal and clan gain.

In other words, making such slots will do more harm than good to Strat.

"Overall this will massively depopulate Strat whilst leaving just the active and interested Strat players.  Clans meanwhile will remain intact as they will still be needed for rosters and better battle organisation." I seriously doubt if this idea will gain applause among active Strat players and even devs.

There will be no physical difference between Lords, Traders and Raiders.  They all pay 500k XP per day to play and can do whatever they want within Strat to make that XP back.  In fact a sucessful clan will need a mixture of both.  I only split them up to show that clanless people that want to play purely for personal cRPG gain will be able to do so.

Peasants are the only ones that are different because they cannot do anything on the Strat map and therefore do not have to pay any XP meaning they can ignore strat completely if they wish to or just sign up to the battles
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:42:54 pm by Tomas »

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:57 pm »
I think this overcomplicates everything. I have some suggestions on how to bring back some balance to the game and make it more about tactics, diplomacy, skill and trading/raiding instead of memberspam.

- Factions should have 10 people minimum
- Distance bonus is ?x larger for 10ppl clan than for 100ppl clan (clans should earn same money if they are managed at maximum potential)
- Rosters will be even up to 20vs20 after that defenders can decide to increase roster and make it unbalanced if they think they will have upper hand.

This will level the playing field for gold and troops. It will be all about tactical decisions, choosing trade routes wisely, skill and active membermanagment.

example : A small 10 ppl clan can attack 100 ppl clan with even numbers but will have to fill the roster against them.
                A small 10 ppl clan can defend against 100 ppl clan and make the roster 20vs20 they will however play against the  best of the best 20 players of 100 ppl clan, thus making it about skill and gear choice.

example : 10ppl clan will have 6 crafters 3 recruiters and 1 trader and still be able to capture a village as fast as a big clan. It doesnt matter if you split up your clan into lots of small clans or other way around.

The maths may be faulty on this and im new to strat (only played v3) so comment and call me a noob when you think differently.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:26:48 pm »
I think this overcomplicates everything. I have some suggestions on how to bring back some balance to the game and make it more about tactics, diplomacy, skill and trading/raiding instead of memberspam.

- Factions should have 10 people minimum
- Distance bonus is ?x larger for 10ppl clan than for 100ppl clan (clans should earn same money if they are managed at maximum potential)
- Rosters will be even up to 20vs20 after that defenders can decide to increase roster and make it unbalanced if they think they will have upper hand.

This will level the playing field for gold and troops. It will be all about tactical decisions, choosing trade routes wisely, skill and active membermanagment.

example : A small 10 ppl clan can attack 100 ppl clan with even numbers but will have to fill the roster against them.
                A small 10 ppl clan can defend against 100 ppl clan and make the roster 20vs20 they will however play against the  best of the best 20 players of 100 ppl clan, thus making it about skill and gear choice.

example : 10ppl clan will have 6 crafters 3 recruiters and 1 trader and still be able to capture a village as fast as a big clan. It doesnt matter if you split up your clan into lots of small clans or other way around.

The maths may be faulty on this and im new to strat (only played v3) so comment and call me a noob when you think differently.

The problem with your idea and most of the others floating around (including most of my previous ideas), is that they require different sized clans to be treated differently which leads to there being an optimum clans size.  Currently the optimum in strat is "as big as possible" whilst implementing any big clan nerf will reduce that optimum to whatever the bouandary is (20 in your case) and just encourage the big clans to split into smaller allied clans.

The beauty of my suggestion is that it continues to treat clans as they are now but greatly removes the disparity in current clan sizes by removing the benefit of having semi active grinders in Strat.

For example
- a current 100 man clan probably has only 10-20 truely active Strat members and then another 80-90 casual grinders who never leave their fief except to occasionally transfer some troops/equipment/gold.
- a small 20 man clan meanwhile still needs between 5 and 10 active people which means they can only have 10-15 grinders which is a smaller percentage of grinders than the 100 man clan above.
- a very small clan of just 5 people is nearly impossible to have in Strat because you need 1 leader and 1 trader minimum which only leaves 3 grinders

With my idea you will remove all the grinders from Strat and leave just the truely active people.  Big clans and allies will obviously still have an advantage but with only around 10-20% of their current player base they will not be able to dominate the entire map.  In fact if balanced right clans will have to concentrate on holding small isolated pockets of fiefs centered around the towns which they ultimately want to claim.  Meanwhile all the fiefs inbetween will be constanly changing hands and can even be taken by neutrals. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:29:55 pm by Tomas »

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »
so you will not be able to dominate as one clan?