Author Topic: Rethinking Archery [Please Offer Criticism]  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
Rethinking Archery [Please Offer Criticism]
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:16:08 am »
TL;DR? Critically hit by a wall of well-formatted text for 9999 damage? Well GTFO my thread then you illiterate scrub!

I'm not entirely unhappy with the way archery works right now in cRPG, but I do play an archer myself and I would agree with the opinions that archery (and crossbow-ery...?) is missing something after it took a nerf to every single stat: arrow speed, damage, rate of fire, accuracy, damage type.

One of my complaints with the game design in cRPG is the generic weapon progression where everything pretty much uniformly gets larger and more damaging as it gets slower (usually) and more expensive. Weapons aren't balanced with advantages and disadvantages. This linear weapon progression is boring and and flavorless. While I would be willing to retool the entire weapon list myself, and I have the coding skill to do so, I'm not sure chadz and the cRPG team would be interested in something like that.

The archery weapons, however, are few enough that I think a retool would be easy to do. It wouldn't dramatically reinvent the game and weapon balance either, and so I hope my suggestion here will be taken seriously. One thing that you must understand is that I care about game design. I want the game to be interesting and varied, and I want every "tool" at a player's disposal to have a distinct use in the game that makes it worth using sometimes and a bad idea other times. Hard realism is not in my interest. Bows shoot arrows. Shields block arrows. That's enough realism for me.

Anyway, I went back to play Guild Wars recently, and when I was playing my ranger I remembered they had a variety of bows. Each type of bow has advantages and disadvantages. I feel like it is a good starting point, and so I used it as the basis for my ideas on rebalancing bows in cRPG and making them more interesting to use.

Here is a link about bows in Guild Wars for reference: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bow

I am not going to attempt to put numbers on the cRPG bows because I have no way of testing hypothetical numbers. Instead I'll list the bows and imagine a possible role for the bow that fits with the stats we have the ability to tweak. These are only suggestions, examples of what I think could be done to make bows more interesting in Warband.

Strong Bow
The horn bow in Guild Wars has armor penetration, which translates to restoring the strong bow's piercing damage in cRPG. It is the slowest bow, and it has average accuracy and arrow speed. It has relatively low DPS but hits the hardest per arrow against armored targets. I think the strong bow fits this idea best in Warband. The key here is to give the bow piercing damage, but to make sure the raw damage is merely average and the rate of fire is slower than other bows. There must be a sweet spot in armor where this armor piercing becomes the better choice, but before that it is not such a good idea. I would suggest somewhere about 50+ armor, which is what the expensive tier 5 horses have.

Khergit Bow
I propose making the Khergit bow the most accurate bow in cRPG. It already ended up being the most accurate bow with acceptable damage, so the changes would not be dramatic. It should have an average rate of fire and be very accurate, but the arrows should travel very slowly. This makes the bow easier to dodge even at medium range if someone is paying attention, and the resulting high arc should make it more difficult to use at long range as well.

Hunting Bow
Currently there are three peasant bows in cRPG and four "real" bows. That means two bows are pretty much a waste of space. The hunting bow should remain a peasant bow, although I might suggest giving it piercing damage just so it's not utterly useless. Even an archer can comfortably wear 30 points of armor, which makes it's current 15 cut damage a joke.

Short Bow
The short bow had a place in Warband and it deserves to get its niche back in cRPG: it's the "very very light machine gun" bow. It is great for countering archers at closer ranges or harassing (stunning) players who don't have shields. This bow would do normal damage (not paper cut damage like it does now) but have poor accuracy and arrow speed, forcing people to use it up close. I would raise its requirement to power draw 3 (so that there is no bow at power draw 2) and give it a rate of fire more comparable to Native bows than cRPG bows. I would not allow the short bow to be used from horseback, because that would be too obnoxious against foot archers.

Nomad Bow
I don't have a good idea for the nomad bow, I'm afraid. It could be the mounted equivalent of the short bow, just not as good. I'm just not sure, but anything is better than having 3 out of 7 bows being "peasant bows"

War Bow
Finally we're up to the interesting bows. I would consider the war bow to be comparable to the recurve bow in Guild Wars. Kind of. It would have average stats all around, but better damage (though no piercing) and keep its 6 power draw requirement. It would have the fastest arrow speed. I'm talking Super Man travels back-in-time fast. The quantum arrows arrive at the target before they're drawn from the quiver. This would make its arc exceptionally flat and its arrows painfully difficult to dodge at closer ranges. (It would still be too inaccurate for reliable sniping at long range.) I think the current tactics that war bow archers currently tend to use would fit well with a bow like this, and it would remain the standard bow for foot archers.

Long Bow
This bow is painfully bad right now. You work your way up to 6 or 7 PD and hope to wreck people with a 30 damage bow of doom and... you get this piece of crap. First, the size bug needs to get fixed so this bow looks impressive again. It also needs a major overhaul. I suggest bumping this bow up to actually require 7 PD. Only real archers need apply. It should remain the highest damage bow in the game, enough that it still does as much damage as the piercing strong bow against someone in full plate armor. I would give the long bow the highest raw damage, good accuracy (second only to the Khergit bow), average arrow speed, and slightly below average rate of fire. The bow would be well-rounded and a worthy counterpart to the war bow. The long bow would be accurate and hard hitting, something of a "sniper" bow, but the war bow would shoot flatter and have a better rate of fire.

I'm asking for criticism, but I'm not asking for a point-by-point critique of my exact idea on bow balance. It is merely an example of what I think could be done; I am not trying to say it is the best idea, only that it seems better to me than what we have right now. What I'm more interested in is what other archers (and even non-archers) think about rebalancing the bows in this way or in a similar fashion that gives each bow an interesting flavor and niche to fill in the game rather than the generic linear progression we have right now which makes bows uniformly get bigger, slower, less accurate, but harder hitting with faster arrows/less arc. I hope if this thread gets some real attention that chadz and the other cRPG developers will consider doing something like this. There are only seven bows, so it is not as if I'm trying to rebalance the stats for a the entire game. (Although I think such an undertaking would be a positive thing... if I were allowed to do it, of course. 8-) )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:28:13 am by Mouse »

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
Re: Rethinking Archery [Please Offer Criticism]
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:51:21 am »
I play GW too, nice idea, but the part of PD7 is not good, then the archer will probably only have 15 AGI, wich makes them very inaccurate, even though it's the second most accurate bow.

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »
I play GW too, nice idea, but the part of PD7 is not good, then the archer will probably only have 15 AGI, wich makes them very inaccurate, even though it's the second most accurate bow.

We're not talking about the current long bow being raised to PD7. This is a new long bow with better stats all around. You are not taking the whole package into account, which would include a serious boost to the bow's currently pathetic accuracy. Also, a dedicated archer can easily convert 8 skill points points to go 21/18 at level 30. 24/15 would work as well for someone willing to lose some WPF for a couple of points more damage. This bow would be the reason to take such a build over a low-strength horse archer build or ninja/archer hybrid, hopefully increasing the diversity in archery.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:15:18 pm by Mouse »

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:24:58 pm »
I hate saying this.. but I miss warbow archers  :(
They were perfect at killing throwers..
In no way do I miss longbow archers  :twisted:

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »
Sounds good to me. I can't find anything I disagree with.

Offline weight

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Fatty
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »
Archery is fine the way it is. Only good archers top the scoreboard, thats the way its supposed to be. You guys should try heirlooming your bow, it really improves the quality of the bows alot. Archery is already really strong and if throwing gets nerfed in the new patch, archery will shine even brighter.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:51:58 pm »
The only problem archery has now is starting as a new archer because honestly I started getting kills with bow apart of people already damaged a lot or headshoting a damaged player at around 4+ PD meaning around 12 strength before you are able to be of little help.

Now my archer is PD 7 and it still takes a few arrows to even damage heavy armored people but at least now I'm annoying and can kill.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:17:43 pm »
What you're calling for, Mouse, in gamer geek terminology, is the total abandonment of simulationism in favour of gamism. Warband and cRPG players and modders are unlikely to agree to that.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »
What you're calling for, Mouse, in gamer geek terminology, is the total abandonment of simulationism in favour of gamism. Warband and cRPG players and modders are unlikely to agree to that.

Yeah, cause cRPG with its range of equipment from the dark ages up to the renaissance and weapon passing through people's body without impairing them in any real way and god knows how many other things, is clearly a simulation. Gameplay > realism. Always has, always wil. As to the actual suggestion, I have no idea, other than to say I like the idea of weapons fufilling different roles instead of just being a lineair progression.

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:43:18 pm »
Dont make Longobw need 7 PD, it will be massacre for archers, because higher requirements of bow it is even worse with reticule etc, no stats buffing will compenstate smaller reticule. Better leave Longbow how it is now with requirement and only buff stats, but nerf speed a bit.

Offline Serruntis

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:59 pm »
This is the only game i have played where a profession is said to be to powerful and needs a nerf, namely the archer. After the patch the archer is more like a support troop and not an individual profession where a player can make an archer char powerful after a few months of playing, yes nerf the archer but give us something in return, i think your idea is a very good one Mouse. There has to be a balance not just nerf a profession cause people complain bout it, so making archers weaker i can accept, but give us better bows and/or arrows, so the archer profession is more interesting. A bigger variety of bows and arrows would also make it much more interesting to play an archer.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »
Dont make Longobw need 7 PD, it will be massacre for archers, because higher requirements of bow it is even worse with reticule etc

It's not, you can be quite accurate with 7 PD, at least with lesser bows.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:03:03 pm »
It's not, you can be quite accurate with 7 PD, at least with lesser bows.

Points above requirement increase accuracy.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:44 am »
Most (not all!) of the replies here seem to be missing the point of my thread. Most of the replies obviously didn't even read the OP, skimming it at best. I guess that's what I should expect when I try to make a thoughtful post on the internet. :cry:

At least I know IG_Saint is awesome, intelligent, and most likely very handsome or beautiful.

Offline Bcleary

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Forever a bandit
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dughan
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:37 am »
Dont make Longobw need 7 PD, it will be massacre for archers, because higher requirements of bow it is even worse with reticule etc, no stats buffing will compenstate smaller reticule. Better leave Longbow how it is now with requirement and only buff stats, but nerf speed a bit.

Sorry to say, but you are incorrect. At 8 PD with a longbow and 24 str and 11 agility i went 8-4 on the last map. It is close and medium range and every once in a while i hit far. You just need to get used to aiming with a large reticle and use it effectively.
"For the woodlands"
We shall rise again one day