Poll

Which one should the game be?

Authentic
Balanced
Try a mix of both (Can just fail in my opinion)

Author Topic: Balance or Authenticity?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Meensai

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Meensai
Balance or Authenticity?
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:19 pm »
I want to do a suggestion to chadz, depending on the result of this poll, because i'm really sad to hear the half of the community all day long crying 'bout the game is not balanced and the other half of the community is crying like "These samurai-my old friends were not in medieval fights!"... Whatever, i wanted to know what this community really wants, an authentic or balanced game?
Because, the game itself was thinked to be a "Mounted-Medieval-Fight-Simulator", of course they did not take real names for most things, but they tried to do them authentic.

I don't want to see any crying here, i want to see facts, opinions and arguments.
image too big

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
Re: Balance or Authenticity?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:07:26 pm »
Just leave the complainers complain the strange armor was ingame even in mount & blade it was added by talesworld not by chadz so there's no reason to remove it.

Offline Meensai

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Meensai
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
That is not my question, i don't even think 'bout to get them removed, even if they were just something like an easter-egg, but i really want to know, if we could make a suggestion to chadz by this polling, because, in my opinion, to get a game really balanced, you would need to make just one stat-template per itemgroup and just different skins/models, so you can get a game balanced, the idea behind M&B was an authentic medieval fight simulator and authentic mostly means everything else than balanced, but that's just my opinion.
image too big

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:30:51 pm »
I don't want to see any crying here, i want to see facts, opinions and arguments.

Every ignorant my old friend can call anything which contains a bit of an opinion (and a negative attitude) whining/crying. Reall,y those Egyptians should stop whining about Mubarak  :rolleyes:

:wink:

...so you can get a game balanced, the idea behind M&B was an authentic medieval fight simulator and authentic mostly means everything else than balanced, but that's just my opinion.

The problem is, that M&B was designed for single player, and so there was no need for balance, as there is no need to make chances equal for both the player and the AI. And, of course, medieval warfare was everything but fair. Warfare generally isn't fair, but I don't know any period where the differences between two fighters were that severe like in the middle ages between a peasant with pitchfork and a knight on charger.

Medieval society was a system of RANKS, and the higher your rank, the better your equipment for battle was. So you would basically need to make players having different ranks (= values!!!). The only way to achieve this would be by some kind of leveling system (which already goes against authenticity - you were born as peasant? Bad luck, you will die as one!), but this level system has a big issue: it is only balanced between the particular player and the game, but it's not balanced between one player and another. As soon as a fully armored knight on charger is on the map, you (the lonely peasant with scythe) don't care about how long this guy had to play until he reached this rank, how much gold he spent for his horse, all you see is that whatever you do, he has got an advantage over you. Which is frustrating.

Summary: an authentic medieval fighting game can never be fair, as the middle ages weren't fair. And unfair games suck.

This is why I (and most other people) voted for balance.

Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
Balance.

If it was "authentic" with overpowered weapons, we'll see an "ultimate build" show up. And it's going to be like any other generic game with the same faceless mob beating each other with the same weapon.

cRPG was made for customization of your own character without the limits of factions (as far as the regular battles go). Kind of like a Need For Speed : Medieval Age, where you trick out your guy (instead of your ride)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:47 am »

Summary: an authentic medieval fighting game can never be fair, as the middle ages weren't fair. And unfair games suck.

This is why I (and most other people) voted for balance.

Couldn't have said it better myself probably . =)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:21 pm »
A game can be both authentic and fair. Meaning, weapons and armor can have realistic physics, and the cost of gaining, using, and maintaining those items can be the balancing factor.

I'd rather experience gritty and realistic medieval fighting, than ANOTHER lame-ass rock-paper-scissors.