Author Topic: What is happening to mount and blade. less than 50 people on NA. is this the end  (Read 15565 times)

Offline Arcona

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ANT
  • Game nicks: ANTr_Arcona
+4
I guess everyone is being Sarcastic right?

I mean you can make a turd shiny, you can polish it, put some cologne on it...

But in the end its STILL A FRIGGIN TURD!

And yes, I'm talking about Skyrim!

What is it about the Computer RPG industry that makes them spend 50% of their budget on advertising a crappy product, 40% on graphics of said crappy product, 4% on the story, 4% on gameplay design and 2% on creative ideas?

How many times and in how many different "skins" do I have to play the delivery boy? How many times do I have to go around slaying rats of someones cellar?

"HEY YOU! YOU ARE THE HERO! THE PROPHECY SPEAKS OF YOU! YOU SHALL SAVE US ALL! NOW TAKE THIS RAKE AND GO BRING ME 3 loaves of bread...."

FFS!

Skyrim is a dumbed down (for dumb 15 year olds) version of a once good series.
Skyrim is an affront to PC users since they decided not to even BOTHER and make a proper keyboard/mouse port and the whole game feels as if the fact that you dont have a gamepad means you should be shot!

And before someones says "but the graphics are awesome!" well... 2 things... friend

a) Big whoopty doo! Good graphics? Is that even something we care about any more or hold as a standard? Its like say "yea okay the movie sucked but the 3d Graphics on this high profile Hollywood movie were soooo cool". How about some story for Gods Shake? How about some originality? Some immersion! How about some real, immersive PLOT that doesnt have to be 110% linear! And no choice is NOT about joining 1 of 3 sides to see the different cinematic finales

b) I am a firm believer that TOO good graphics and TOO realistic ones are a detriment. Much like when you read a book and love it and then the movie comes out and its CRAP. Its because in reality your imagination is usually (unless you are a turnip) much better than anything they can put on screen. Similarly... graphics that are too realistic in a game... somehow make it worse... it seems to real to be real... hence... fake.

So yea, play your polished, sugar coated turd for now...

I will turn to good old M&B that is not pretentious and does what it says in the box!
"Hear me roar!"
"A Lannister always pays his debts."
"Twenty five whores in a room next door. Twenty five whores and I still need more."

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny

What is it about the Computer RPG industry that makes them spend 50% of their budget on advertising a crappy product, 40% on graphics of said crappy product, 4% on the story, 4% on gameplay design and 2% on creative ideas?

How many times and in how many different "skins" do I have to play the delivery boy? How many times do I have to go around slaying rats of someones cellar?

"HEY YOU! YOU ARE THE HERO! THE PROPHECY SPEAKS OF YOU! YOU SHALL SAVE US ALL! NOW TAKE THIS RAKE AND GO BRING ME 3 loaves of bread...."

FFS!

Skyrim is an affront to PC users since they decided not to even BOTHER and make a proper keyboard/mouse port and the whole game feels as if the fact that you dont have a gamepad means you should be shot!

And before someones says "but the graphics are awesome!" well... 2 things... friend

a) Big whoopty doo! Good graphics? Is that even something we care about any more or hold as a standard? Its like say "yea okay the movie sucked but the 3d Graphics on this high profile Hollywood movie were soooo cool". How about some story for Gods Shake? How about some originality? Some immersion! How about some real, immersive PLOT that doesnt have to be 110% linear! And no choice is NOT about joining 1 of 3 sides to see the different cinematic finales

b) I am a firm believer that TOO good graphics and TOO realistic ones are a detriment. Much like when you read a book and love it and then the movie comes out and its CRAP. Its because in reality your imagination is usually (unless you are a turnip) much better than anything they can put on screen. Similarly... graphics that are too realistic in a game... somehow make it worse... it seems to real to be real... hence... fake.

I will turn to good old M&B that is not pretentious and does what it says in the box!

Agreed.

Played it a bit, first sword I found seemed to be a largely oversized fantasy sword. Hurrah...
Then I get to play the errand boy. Walk there, take quest, walk somewhere else, finish. Walk back. Walk walk walk... Boring as hell.
To me it felt like a polished version of WoW. Even has the dungeons and now the dragons too.

I'm not playing it, I like M&B better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
People will come back in time, as much as the replay value of a singleplayer game can be (such as Skyrim) it's fairly low compared to the ever changing online communities albiet that everyone has a tendency to troll at least once an hour.

Even with Battlefield 3 with it's online-ness, it's not the same as here, you don't know most of the people you play with and the people you do play with will more than likely include someone from cRPG!  :rolleyes:

There will be more and more people who will trickle back over time, I wouldn't worry about cRPG failing, sure there will be a few people who won't come back but the regulars who have been playing for a long time, will come back eventually otherwise they wouldn't have been playing for so long. Even if it feels like a commitment, (so much time and effort to get to where you were, don't want to let it go to waste) people will come back.

Just give it time, there was always going to be a drop around the time large titles are released, and two at once (three if you're a console... can't class you as a gamer... errr... console user) then you're going to have a drop off at some stage.

Strategus will keep a lot of the clans around, although I have noticed most of my clan members disappearing from teamspeak, each time there is an important strategus battle at a reasonable time, they're there, waiting and willing to play.
People love the mod, maybe I am being a little bit of a fanboy, maybe I am being over optimistic, but it won't die any time soon. The death will come with the release of a similar game, probably mount and blade 2 where they will more than likely have some form of progressive character online, in which case the commitment for players will severly drop.

I don't think you can expect a massive online game with a progressive system such as Battlefield 3 to hook people for as long as something like cRPG has. I mean, the community isn't quite as close nit, you'll hardly ever see the same players twice unless you're on their friends list, things like that, you're not going to have quite as good a response and therefore time that people will spend playing.

Trust me, people will come back, even if you didn't read this, I sort of lost what I was saying half way through to be honest with you, don't worry, stop fretting, people'll get bored of the other games and will come back, not all of them of course, but the majority will. Mount and Blade 2, if it has a progressive character system, will be the death of cRPG, if I had to bet on it of course!

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
People will come back in time, as much as the replay value of a singleplayer game can be (such as Skyrim) it's fairly low compared to the ever changing online communities albiet that everyone has a tendency to troll at least once an hour.

Even with Battlefield 3 with it's online-ness, it's not the same as here, you don't know most of the people you play with and the people you do play with will more than likely include someone from cRPG!  :rolleyes:

There will be more and more people who will trickle back over time, I wouldn't worry about cRPG failing, sure there will be a few people who won't come back but the regulars who have been playing for a long time, will come back eventually otherwise they wouldn't have been playing for so long. Even if it feels like a commitment, (so much time and effort to get to where you were, don't want to let it go to waste) people will come back.

Just give it time, there was always going to be a drop around the time large titles are released, and two at once (three if you're a console... can't class you as a gamer... errr... console user) then you're going to have a drop off at some stage.

Strategus will keep a lot of the clans around, although I have noticed most of my clan members disappearing from teamspeak, each time there is an important strategus battle at a reasonable time, they're there, waiting and willing to play.
People love the mod, maybe I am being a little bit of a fanboy, maybe I am being over optimistic, but it won't die any time soon. The death will come with the release of a similar game, probably mount and blade 2 where they will more than likely have some form of progressive character online, in which case the commitment for players will severly drop.

I don't think you can expect a massive online game with a progressive system such as Battlefield 3 to hook people for as long as something like cRPG has. I mean, the community isn't quite as close nit, you'll hardly ever see the same players twice unless you're on their friends list, things like that, you're not going to have quite as good a response and therefore time that people will spend playing.

Trust me, people will come back, even if you didn't read this, I sort of lost what I was saying half way through to be honest with you, don't worry, stop fretting, people'll get bored of the other games and will come back, not all of them of course, but the majority will. Mount and Blade 2, if it has a progressive character system, will be the death of cRPG, if I had to bet on it of course!

On MW3 you do lol. It's rather sad though, Console versions got like 5x the amount of players than the PC version lol. I've seen the same people several times in different matches the last week.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
+3

FFS!

tl;dr because I have to get back to my life which is Skyrim when I am not working.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
On MW3 you do lol. It's rather sad though, Console versions got like 5x the amount of players than the PC version lol. I've seen the same people several times in different matches the last week.

However this is console, as I said "three if you're a console... can't class you as a gamer... errr... console user". ;)

You're going to have more chance of seeing the same people again because they're the people you're going to have a better connection to in your area. With dedicated servers for things like battlefield, cRPG etc etc, they're much more capable of having lots of connections (they're called dedicated for a reason) while consoles will just run off the users home network.

They have 5 times the number of players but the actual number that you will see is much much less due to a crappy way of connecting those people. Why do you think that instead of a ping they have bars..? If I remember correctly Modern Warfare 2 had 4 ping bars that represented 100ms between them, 4 bars meant that you had less than 100ms worth of ping, 3, 100-200, etc etc.

On the pc you could attack the files/console and either replace it with a real ping, but you'd probably cry at what you saw or change the number of bars and the interval at which they ran at (I used 10 bars with 20ms between, I was constantly on either a 0 connection (as host) or 80-140) Running from someones home computer in this day and age, unless you're running off a very good connection with high upload, you'll likely have a higher ping to someone down your road than for example, a server that was in London while you're in Scotland.

This is why I don't use console games in my arguments although it was fun on MW2 where people would hack, you accuse them, they laugh and say "you can't get rid of me, you leave and the game will choose a new host" and you go "lol, IP block!" and off they would disappear scratching their heads.

Also, try playing M&B on a console with a controller, i'd say that would be harder to block and there would be a significant drop in skill (although I do know there are a few people here that use a controller to play)

Anyways, people WILL come back, no doubt about it :P

TL;DR

General knowledge about consoles and their connection methods.
My dislike for their connection methods.
Biased views on Dedicated servers.
Laughing at people on MW2 who hack when you're server host, and then IP blocking them.
Try playing M&B with a controller, must be harder to block.
PEOPLE WILL COME BACK, GIVE IT TIME!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:45:25 am by Tennenoth »

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
However this is console, as I said "three if you're a console... can't class you as a gamer... errr... console user". ;)

You're going to have more chance of seeing the same people again because they're the people you're going to have a better connection to in your area. With dedicated servers for things like battlefield, cRPG etc etc, they're much more capable of having lots of connections (they're called dedicated for a reason) while consoles will just run off the users home network.

They have 5 times the number of players but the actual number that you will see is much much less due to a crappy way of connecting those people. Why do you think that instead of a ping they have bars..? If I remember correctly Modern Warfare 2 had 4 ping bars that represented 100ms between them, 4 bars meant that you had less than 100ms worth of ping, 3, 100-200, etc etc.

On the pc you could attack the files/console and either replace it with a real ping, but you'd probably cry at what you saw or change the number of bars and the interval at which they ran at (I used 10 bars with 20ms between, I was constantly on either a 0 connection (as host) or 80-140) Running from someones home computer in this day and age, unless you're running off a very good connection with high upload, you'll likely have a higher ping to someone down your road than for example, a server that was in London while you're in Scotland.

This is why I don't use console games in my arguments although it was fun on MW2 where people would hack, you accuse them, they laugh and say "you can't get rid of me, you leave and the game will choose a new host" and you go "lol, IP block!" and off they would disappear scratching their heads.

Also, try playing M&B on a console with a controller, i'd say that would be harder to block and there would be a significant drop in skill (although I do know there are a few people here that use a controller to play)

Anyways, people WILL come back, no doubt about it :P

TL;DR

General knowledge about consoles and their connection methods.
My dislike for their connection methods.
Biased views on Dedicated servers.
Laughing at people on MW2 who hack when you're server host, and then IP blocking them.
Try playing M&B with a controller, must be harder to block.
PEOPLE WILL COME BACK, GIVE IT TIME!

No i'm playing on PC =( And yes there's dedicated servers in PC version. All though 18 player limit and unranked -_-

Also CRPG is not fun! It's addiction! Leave it!

Offline t1337Dude

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
People should be getting bored of Skyrim soon enough - the game really isn't that great.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND NICE, PUT SOMEONE IN CHARGE OF THE SIEGE MAP ROTATION WHO ACTUALLY CARES.

I nominate Digglez.  No, seriously.  Don't give him admin powers because he is a terrible man and you'll run out of players before he is done enforcing the rules, but someone needs to work on siege map rotation and he has volunteered to do that.

I used to love siege.  I enjoyed the Community Siege server well enough but they stopped updating it, it died, etc.

Now there's the official siege server but there's still some terrible siege maps going on there.  I mean really, Siege in general could just use some work (FIRST ROUND DOOR HIT POINTS OMG WTF FIX ALREADY BBQ) but someone minding the map selection would be a big improvement.

I still theoretically like siege sometimes just for the sake of variety but the problems with it are killing me.  I dunno if I can just do Battle forever.  Also, wtf is up with this B.S.?
(click to show/hide)

(Disregard team names, it's just that bug after playing Strategus matches).  That was official siege one recent night.  What.  The.  Fraggle?  I can't play like this!  I don't know if that was people intentionally breaking the balance system somehow or if that's just what the balance system did for us but it was not a lot of fun.

In summary,
What is happening to mount and blade is that one of the best game modes has been allowed to crap the bed and nobody has bothered to clean it up.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
No i'm playing on PC =( And yes there's dedicated servers in PC version. All though 18 player limit and unranked -_-

Also CRPG is not fun! It's addiction! Leave it!

I never understood their reasoning behind having the main ranked game on the easier to hack version..? That doesn't make any sense to me... I'm convinced that Activision are run by a guy with multi personality disorder, one side bent on destroying PC gaming and the other trying to put on a smile to take our money.

I've seen so many people hacking already and I don't even own the game, granted this is youtube but the first one I saw was by Yogscast(..?) and they were on the front page of youtube under the featured list, some phenominal advertsing they did there for Activision, whole round recording of two hackers on his first ranked game.
You don't even have a riot shield anymore to hide behind, causing the aimbotter to get locked into firing at you because you hadn't died, allowing your mates to charge with their riot shields and batter the bastard to death. (At least I don't think you have riot shields anymore)

Silly silly game designers, don't know what common sense is?
I'm getting more and more synical, opinionated and negative about the Call of Duty series, it went down hill after MW although WaW was still very good although the maps were crap.

Ah well, that'll be the first one to go down, then following will be BF3, Skyrim will drop once people either complete it or have their minds boggled by the sheer number of things to do. cRPG is a constant for now.

To the guy above, I just got confused because I realised I was in NA and wasn't killed. Berenger even gave me a decent conversation! xD

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
No idea how this turned to PC vs Console, but hey, i got it all  :mrgreen:

I mean, i play crpg on my desktop, and when bored i just load up guitar hero (funnily enuff made by Activision  :P) and relax or just watch some porn/simpsons or whatnot.

Anyways, i like this, i was able to sit on x5 for quite a long time on this mid populated server, as on smaller scale battles your influence is bigger  :mrgreen: So enjoy the rides on multis with the few active friends you have untill the hordes come back.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile

I mean, i play crpg on my desktop, and when bored i just load up guitar hero (funnily enuff made by Activision  :P) and relax or just watch some porn/simpsons or whatnot.

Anyways, i like this, i was able to sit on x5 for quite a long time on this mid populated server, as on smaller scale battles your influence is bigger  :mrgreen: So enjoy the rides on multis with the few active friends you have untill the hordes come back.

Always seen consoles as casual games, never the more hardcore ones if I am honest, this wasn't really a PC vs Console conversation more just a light discussion between the communities surrounding the games and the way they actually work.

But yes, enjoy that x5 for a little longer, get a large gap between the Skryim & BF3 fanatics and you'll be laughing when they come back all rusty! ;)

Offline bagge

• King
  • Renown: 1056
  • Infamy: 275
  • cRPG Player
  • Duke of Poland
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: bagge
Winston_Churchill's signature is win lul
I hope you guys get some sort of sticky balls deseases and smell like my armpits, sorry excusese for nolife fucking cunts you are.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

How the hell did you manage to put in Porn and simpsons right next to eachother lol.

I never understood their reasoning behind having the main ranked game on the easier to hack version..? That doesn't make any sense to me... I'm convinced that Activision are run by a guy with multi personality disorder, one side bent on destroying PC gaming and the other trying to put on a smile to take our money.

I've seen so many people hacking already and I don't even own the game, granted this is youtube but the first one I saw was by Yogscast(..?) and they were on the front page of youtube under the featured list, some phenominal advertsing they did there for Activision, whole round recording of two hackers on his first ranked game.
You don't even have a riot shield anymore to hide behind, causing the aimbotter to get locked into firing at you because you hadn't died, allowing your mates to charge with their riot shields and batter the bastard to death. (At least I don't think you have riot shields anymore)

Silly silly game designers, don't know what common sense is?
I'm getting more and more synical, opinionated and negative about the Call of Duty series, it went down hill after MW although WaW was still very good although the maps were crap.

Ah well, that'll be the first one to go down, then following will be BF3, Skyrim will drop once people either complete it or have their minds boggled by the sheer number of things to do. cRPG is a constant for now.

To the guy above, I just got confused because I realised I was in NA and wasn't killed. Berenger even gave me a decent conversation! xD

Well from my point of view i can understand not making dedicated servers giving off XP. Like in COD 4 people would mod it and make gaining XP so damn easy and ''legitimate''.

And as for modding tools, i believe they didn't put it in because (which i also share) that it would separate the PC MW3 community as well big mods being made which IW didn't have anything to do with.

Plus the fact that you cannot make money off of it lol.

Also, actually there's Riot Shields available. Plus there's 2 prof's for them too. Melee or Speed which either increase your melee speed or the speed itself while running with the shield.

So yeah works wonders versus Aimbotters. And ''noobtubes'' are nerfed so much that you can even survive direct impact from secondary ''Noobtube''.

All in all it's a good game and doesn't deserve as much hate as it have gotten from the PC community mostly.

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
Always seen consoles as casual games, never the more hardcore ones if I am honest, this wasn't really a PC vs Console conversation more just a light discussion between the communities surrounding the games and the way they actually work.

But yes, enjoy that x5 for a little longer, get a large gap between the Skryim & BF3 fanatics and you'll be laughing when they come back all rusty! ;)

indeed, i have seen rarely any GK or Byzantium online, luckily for me  :mrgreen: