Author Topic: I'm done with C-RPG unless upkeep costs change  (Read 12571 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: I'm done with C-RPG unless upkeep costs change
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:26 am »
It would be nice if the developers would implement a system which doesn't depend on luck and constant "losing" of something ( = gold), but more on a system to balance the effectiveness of different classes and levels, without limiting them in their possibilities. I suggested a system with a maximum value of equipment, depending on your level, which can be raised by sacrificing skill points. And god knows this is not the only possible solution. But unfortunately the decision was made to have the player "worry" all the time about different things, a system which punishes failure, instead of rewarding success, like a good game does.

Sure, upkeep is working more or less. This doesn't mean it was the best solution... or even a good one... there are so many ways to achieve balance, what made you decide for upkeep, without at least asking the community for alternative ideas? I don't say you had to make a poll about the best suggestions and then being bound to create what the community voted for, but on the other hand I know alternatives, which if you compare the pros and cons to the upkeep system clearly outmatch latter.

Really, I think the only reason why cRPG is persisting that long is because of the lack of alternatives. The game design and the crappy community with its enormous amount of wannabe-funny trolls is almost unbearable. To me, at least.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:22:42 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2011, 01:24:43 am »
It would be nice if the developers would implement a system which doesn't depend on luck and constant "losing" of something ( = gold), but more on a system to balance the effectiveness of different classes and levels, without limiting them in their possibilities. I suggested a system with a maximum value of equipment, depending on your level, which can be raised by sacrificing skill points. And god knows this is not the only possible solution. But unfortunately the decision was made to have the player "worry" all the time about different things, a system which punishes failure, instead of rewarding success, like a good game does.

Sure, upkeep is working more or less. This doesn't mean it was the best solution... or even a good one... there are so many ways to achieve balance, what made you decide for upkeep, without at least asking the community for alternative ideas? I don't say you had to make a poll about the best suggestions and then being bound to create what the community voted for, but on the other hand I know alternatives, which if you compare the pros and cons to the upkeep system clearly outmatch latter.

Really, I think the only reason why cRPG is persisting that long is because of the lack of alternatives. The game design and the crappy community with its enormous amount of wannabe-funny trolls is almost unbearable. To me, at least.

then send them to chadz if your alternatives are sooooo much better...
all those people knowing how to cure everything but never start doing it but rather rant about everything.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2011, 01:37:46 am »
The valor system is nice, i would just remove randomness from it or reduce it. Still, i have valor often enough so it's randomness is not major issue.

Offline Gomer

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • Skill Crutcher
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gomer
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2011, 01:46:59 am »
I'll change it right away.

I would quit if you did. Just because some winy bitch uninformed player doesn't understand the repair formula. The high levels earned their money and they can spend it on running around with plate if they want. Or he could just respec before 26 because I doubt he is a gen 2 :P. Anyway I like the game as it is and you need to add a winy section. Nvm you have a suggestion section. :mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2011, 02:15:22 am »
then send them to chadz if your alternatives are sooooo much better...
all those people knowing how to cure everything but never start doing it but rather rant about everything.

How am I supposed to do it? I don't have any clue of programming.

And btw.:

How about a system which doesn't have any upkeep at all, but you have to invest skill points to exceed a certain value of equipment? This way we have all dice rolls removed, your performance ingame will be more predictable, and in theory you can run around with whatever equipment you want, AS LONG as you want.

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so horrible. Might consider it if we ever decide to completely change the game again :P

Although I don't know how much sarcasm was put in the first sentence. The sarcasm in the second one is obvious.  :?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:08 am »
The  :P emoticon gives it away obviously.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2011, 02:02:25 pm »
Mercenary Mod works well, without any upkeep. You just gain less money.

Another idea is to buy some training to grow your XP faster (or some char).