Author Topic: 'Helms Deep' Castle on siege. No can do  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Takoul

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Takoul_2 Swansong Lothbrok
'Helms Deep' Castle on siege. No can do
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »
First of all nice castle! Looks fantastic
Second, get rid of it or change it:

There's only one point of entry to the inner keep. This makes it impossible to take. Take a look at the wooden pallisade castle where even with the fighting generally ending up at the flag INSIDE the castle its no guarantee of winning as an attacker.
But with this 'Helms Deep' type castle there is no way you are going to take the inner courtyard if scaling the walls is  impossible. There aren't any ladders to put up to the inner wall and no spot to do this from.

The inner gatehouse, hmmm. I saw that the winch mechanism is in between two gates, stuck on the floor level. Very very odd and surely not intentional? Take a look if you get time. Because even if you get a ladder from the outer wall across to the inner gatehouse spanning that wide chasm like courtyard, once across, you cannot even raise the gate from the gatehouse!
So all the fighting is concentrated in one doorway. And as a defender if you know no one is coming over the walls its just too easy to defend.

I'v got to x5 from defending this keep. Great. Not really, because the other 50% of the time attacking there's just no point really apart from a pew pew fest outside that inner door.

PLEASE PLEASE change this castle :)

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
Re: 'Helms Deep' Castle on siege. No can do
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »
It´s not impossible to take, attackers just have to use teamwork.
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline Takoul

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Takoul_2 Swansong Lothbrok
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »
This map channels all attackers into one spot. Thats auto map teamwork enabled and still it don't work, because most of the time are randoms. Never seen a whole side from one clan yet.

Thinking about it again, one change could make this map workable and fun.
Remove the unbreakable portcullis from the inner gate. There looks to be a breakable door behind it. Its another defendable chokepoint so it wouldn't unbalance it. Plus, with attacking through doors it would still be hard to take down. That inner gate just looks 'wrong' somehow if you take a close look between respawns.

Offline MrExxc

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't pronounce it "EKsKsSee", just "X"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Exxc, Poussiere_Supreme
  • IRC nick: Exxc
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »
I agree with both of you, if the defenders are organised, they win easily, but if attackers face a non organised one, they can regroup and push once and then crush them on a second attack.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:56:13 pm »
That map is not finished when I was defense you can go on the wall and there's a passage which is blocked.

Either make the passage of the mountains accessible or remove it till it does.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 03:58:57 pm »
First of all nice castle! Looks fantastic
Second, get rid of it or change it:

There's only one point of entry to the inner keep. This makes it impossible to take. Take a look at the wooden pallisade castle where even with the fighting generally ending up at the flag INSIDE the castle its no guarantee of winning as an attacker.
But with this 'Helms Deep' type castle there is no way you are going to take the inner courtyard if scaling the walls is  impossible. There aren't any ladders to put up to the inner wall and no spot to do this from.

The inner gatehouse, hmmm. I saw that the winch mechanism is in between two gates, stuck on the floor level. Very very odd and surely not intentional? Take a look if you get time. Because even if you get a ladder from the outer wall across to the inner gatehouse spanning that wide chasm like courtyard, once across, you cannot even raise the gate from the gatehouse!
So all the fighting is concentrated in one doorway. And as a defender if you know no one is coming over the walls its just too easy to defend.

I'v got to x5 from defending this keep. Great. Not really, because the other 50% of the time attacking there's just no point really apart from a pew pew fest outside that inner door.

PLEASE PLEASE change this castle :)

One point of entry to the inner keep eh?
Me thinks you don't know the map that well.
Attackers need to learn to use team work.
Just coz you spawn instantly doesn't mean you have to blindly charge the flag every time totally alone.
but w/e complain, complain, imo Helm's Deep isn't even close to the worst map on rotation for siege, at least there is more than ONE way into the castle & more than ONE way to the flag.
anyways, my opinion is, people don't know the map yet and thusly do not realize the easiest way to take it. Give it some time people will understand.
If not, I over estimate the intelligence of the C-rpg community and will go back to hiding.

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:08 pm »
i don't visit siege server so often, but once i visited it it was helm's deep map. we went all the way to the flag, but we couldn't reach it because of defenders' last stand. so it is possible. we didn't make it, but i still think it is possible.

fortifications are built that way to channel attackers and not to be conquered. and, yes... gameplay comes first, than reality, but i don't need to take the castle to feel "wow - that was great game and great map". you have to perceive it like "wow! we came this far on this impenetrable castle! good work, team. let's try again maybe we make it deeper in the castle!"

for me: no challenge - no fun
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:05:50 pm »
The map needs progressive spawn locations for attackers.  Going from square one to the flag takes a fairly long time, and moving a spawn point forward would make the bottlenecks much more fair.  I'm not sure how any of these mechanics work, but I have heard map-makers chatting about them.  Additionally, and as already mentioned, a operational gates would be great.  This way the attackers could decrease the distance between the inner keep and their spawn, while introducing a path for horsemen into the mix which could be closed otherwise.

It could also do with a aesthetic tweaks but that's just me being a person who's seen LotR:TT far too many times  :wink:

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:44 pm »
yeah fico, but the odds for attackers to win the round are less then 10 %

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:40 pm »
This map will give you multiplier as defender 95% of the time or even higher chance.
Like the other map with the breakable door direct at attackerspawn will give attackers multiplier at chance of 95%+++

Both maps should be changed to make them more balanced. Until that happend just remove them.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »
This map will give you multiplier as defender 95% of the time or even higher chance.
Like the other map with the breakable door direct at attackerspawn will give attackers multiplier at chance of 95%+++

Both maps should be changed to make them more balanced. Until that happend just remove them.

exactly that, and that is opinion of most siege players

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »
but helm is such a nice map. (eye candy)

oh... now i HAVE TO play sieges

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »
bah switched spectator again cause of this map.

tbh every defender with x1 should just boycott it.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »
I like it.

Siege is less for the grind and more for the fun of  it, really.

Offline Mustang_Sweets

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Avid rum drinker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Caldaria (Bridge Burners)
  • Game nicks: Stang_the_Swilling
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »
Helms, deep has more ways into then you think you're just not looking hard enough.
I wear armor to protect myself from team mates.

That's right I am the beast master. Now, prepare to be tamed bitches!