Author Topic: Descriptions for items  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Descriptions for items
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »
+10
A simple thing here:
It would be cool if items have some description of their own. Well of course it would take a very long time to add descriptions for all items but I believe for some specific items it could be pretty good. Here are my examples:
(click to show/hide)
or there might be some trolling stuff too
(click to show/hide)

it is not for me to decide. Still, I would prefer a serious style with some wit in it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:48:45 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
Re: Descriptions for items
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »
+1
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline D_the_Barbarian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
    • View Profile
    • I have no website
  • Faction: none
  • Game nicks: D_the_Barbarian and Millions of alts like D_the_Female.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:39:10 pm »
Yes, please add.
On a similar note, it is imperative to carry smoke bombs. Archers get confused because they're so ineffective that they pause to wonder why, so they end up being as effective as intended.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:54:28 pm »
 :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 03:47:26 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:39 pm »
would be nice.

Even more important and useful though were some descriptions of the different attributes and skills and what attributes fulfill which item requirements. I mean, how oft you gotta answer this questions in chat? also something like: ironflesh=+2 hitpoints, ps=+ 8% damage, etc.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 11:03:12 pm »
This is a good idea.

A quick description of the weapon and its origin and its main features(what it counters) would be useful and increase the appearance of c-PRG.net.

An Info button to access this info would allow the shop screens to stay at a manageable size.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:21 am »
would be nice.

Even more important and useful though were some descriptions of the different attributes and skills and what attributes fulfill which item requirements. I mean, how oft you gotta answer this questions in chat? also something like: ironflesh=+2 hitpoints, ps=+ 8% damage, etc.

If you mean what is meant by the difficulty values and skill explenations, that is a good idea. Even though that wasn't the purpose of this suggestion a manual section in the account screen would be great too /Which may include dome useful information about the skills/items and some guidance/tips for skill builds.

This is a good idea.

A quick description of the weapon and its origin and its main features(what it counters) would be useful and increase the appearance of c-PRG.net.

An Info button to access this info would allow the shop screens to stay at a manageable size.
This is what exactly I was thinking. There should be an info button which could be activated with hovering your mouse over it.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:47:44 am »
There is many more important stuff to do, devs have a limited free time.

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:15 am »
well it would make this a little bit more "noob friendly" alot questions would not be asked any more and a lot less clutter in the forums of long past answered questions

sometimes people have to post links to month old threads that were sadly forgotten to answer questions
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:21:47 pm »
There is many more important stuff to do, devs have a limited free time.
I completely disagree, devs spend their time to improve the game. This will improve the game quality, and add more classiness. I am not only talking about newbie-friendly stuff here. Everyone would like to see some enjoyable descriptions for some items.

Besides devs don't handle everything, moreover they don't have to. Boerks are made by somone else as I know, there are some items from different modules and etc. What I mean is writing descriptions is not a code-based activity, it can be done by anyone with good writing skills; so is manual. Henceforth, devs can find a volunteer for the job and add it to the website. It shouldn't took longer than 30 minutes for an experienced coder.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:23:32 pm by Ronin »

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »
+1
I completely disagree, devs spend their time to improve the game. This will improve the game quality, and add more classiness. I am not only talking about newbie-friendly stuff here. Everyone would like to see some enjoyable descriptions for some items.

Besides devs don't handle everything, moreover they don't have to. Boerks are made by somone else as I know, there are some items from different modules and etc. What I mean is writing descriptions is not a code-based activity, it can be done by anyone with good writing skills; so is manual. Henceforth, devs can find a volunteer for the job and add it to the website. It shouldn't took longer than 30 minutes for an experienced coder.

I don't see where this noob friendly if you only show a quick description like "sword : sharpened piece of metal used to crush your enemy skull", only usefull commentary should be about the skill, but even that is useless, noobs are not stupid, stop that shit, everyone knows after 5min of game (less if you played SP) that shield skill is for shield and PD is for bows... there is absolutely no added value in this suggestion.
Some enjoyable description will make the game less classy, it will make look like cRPG player are dumb, everyone knows what is a sword, a spear, a xbow or a throwing knife.
Comforted me, people are not that stupid?

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 03:27:41 pm »
I still disagree. First of all, noob friendly manual and description things are separately different ideas. Description is ... well description. I't mainly about the item: usage, origins, etc. It is not for newbies, but for everyone who wishes to spend his time. This does not mean there can be no information and guidance for newbies there, such as explenation of difficulty value.

For example; Medieval 2 Total War has great descriptions for each unit. I just love reading those. Basicly what I'm suggesting here is:
Working on this:
to make into this:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:18:27 pm by Ronin »

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:16:55 am »
I dunno seems like a waste of time for the devs. What I mean is we all know that a spear is long and fast so use it at a distance. Having a description for something so obvious is a waste of time. Oh yeah don't forget to add  use the pointy side if they even bother with adding a description. 8-)

Also this isn't M2 and not a historical game at all. I love total war series but this is caldera unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:19:38 am by Adalwulf »