Poll

Should the Katana's stab be removed?

Yes, and here's why:
24 (42.9%)
No, and here's why:
32 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: November 11, 2011, 02:20:56 pm

Author Topic: [Mechanic] Katana Stab  (Read 3834 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: [Mechanic] Katana Stab
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:32 am »
Yes, I am aware of the curved blade and the collision thingy.

You have not mentioned anything that merits the removal of thrust from katana, which is substantially worse then the popular 1handers for thrust damage.

Fight some good 1hander and:
a. you will get the so called worse attack in the face.
b. not going to be maintaining range like some spammy polearmer.

wtf is that bullshit 45 reach advantage? oh fuck off... just fuck right off if you are going to be so goddam obtuse and retarded.

You are Xant, and an idiot.

Wat? When have I been in favor of removing the thrust from katana? Reading comprehension ftw.

I've fought plenty of good 1handers, I'm a 1hander myself now.

It's not bullshit dear, it's the facts. +45 is the total amount of reach gained (not in a single attack direction ...) from 2h animations (not including thrust) and +19 is the total gained from 1h animations (not including thrust).

Hey, it's not my fault you don't know how to play bro, keep your trousers on.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 01:05:44 am »
The 2h stab bonus is ca. +80 reach. Yes, 80 reach. This is why the greatswords and some other 2handers outreach a heavy lance.

Heavy lance gets +50 reach, so it's still ~30 longer
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 01:17:29 am »
Zylo wants it removed because he keeps glancing when he's facehugging people and feinting.  You know it's true!

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 01:32:21 am »
+1
IT's TRUEEEEEE... It's really truuuuuuue :'(.... But even when I've got the distance with which to preform the stab, it STILL glances. Very frustrating. I know the Katana's no War spear, but like I said, I find the Poke of the katana to be Useless. You can point blank stab with a Longsword just fine and dandy.

Also, whoever noticed my random capitalization... Sorry.. it's a habit that I have no idea where I picked up from wherein I'm using the capitals to emphasize certain words.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 01:36:26 am »
+1
hmm.

It's too soon to ask for a katana buff. Just spent 6 months lobbying and countless reasons trying to rebuff it from 35 cut. (It was nerfed first because some angry person went on an uncontrolled buff katana rage on the forums. I came in too late to do damage control..)

I'm also against removing the thrust. It just goes against what a katana stands for. Removing thrust would imply it's a clumsy weapon.. Now it simply a weapon that punishes you hard if you do a thrust mistake. That's OK. Use the thrust against heads and light armour only.

Of course I would like that some time in the future the thrust would be buffed a little so it wouldn't bounce so much. But I won't ask for it..

not yet :-D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 02:07:31 am »
The reason why katana is so goddamn shit is because its designed for combat against lightly armored/medium armor. In the STR heavy meta game of NA, Katana is not practical.

When i duel with medium armor, Katana is a faster and shorter longsword.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 02:15:55 am »
Wat? When have I been in favor of removing the thrust from katana? Reading comprehension ftw.

I've fought plenty of good 1handers, I'm a 1hander myself now.

It's not bullshit dear, it's the facts. +45 is the total amount of reach gained (not in a single attack direction ...) from 2h animations (not including thrust) and +19 is the total gained from 1h animations (not including thrust).

Hey, it's not my fault you don't know how to play bro, keep your trousers on.
Totalling the reach advantages and comparing the totals, by that logic you imply I would indeed enjoy a 26 advantage, that is fail logic. Ye should run for public office, as gerrymandering would be right up your alley and there is no shortage of sheeples to prop you and your phallacies up, nor a dearth of learned fools beguiled by your mathematical genius.

I never play with trousers on thus I know how to play.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 02:28:00 am »
Heavy lance gets +50 reach, so it's still ~30 longer
Not really. Only a fool would go for the rider and the horses head is about 55-60 reach methinks. Maybe more. And only the strongest (or very slow moving) horse manages to survive a greatsword stab.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 02:32:04 am »
voted no wilö explain later.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:58 am »
Totalling the reach advantages and comparing the totals, by that logic you imply I would indeed enjoy a 26 advantage, that is fail logic. Ye should run for public office, as gerrymandering would be right up your alley and there is no shortage of sheeples to prop you and your phallacies up, nor a dearth of learned fools beguiled by your mathematical genius.

I never play with trousers on thus I know how to play.

Katana has a reach advantage, no matter how you look at it, sorry. Indeed, it appears my mathematical genius is a bit too much for you to handle, so let me attempt to simplify it so you can understand. Katana is in practice a lot longer than any 1h when attacking with an overhead attack, left-to-right or a thrust. It only has shorter reach than some 1h when comparing it with 1h's right-to-left. Katana's thrust is longer than any 1h's any attack.

I hope this was simple enough.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 02:56:22 am »
+1
We are all just sidestepping the real issue. Katanas break immersion and should be removed from the game.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:53 am »
Uh, two handed stab is still +80 reach? I swear they changed the stab to the current one SPECIFICALLY because the old one had way too much reach.

Also ghostreach DOES exist, and it's not only on weird weapons with weird curvy models like the scimitar and elite scimitar.

I've been hit by ghostreach more than I can count: Weapon's 105 reach, I'm at about 130 reach from the guy, clearly out of reach, weapon is not anywhere close to physically touching me, LOL I STILL GET HIT ANYWAY.

Also, to be on-topic, ban Katana, that is all, or buff my longsword to not be a worse Katana.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 03:36:15 am »
Are you sure you didn't just get hit because you were bored?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 03:41:30 am »
weird curvy models

Yes, I agree, angles that are not straight baffle my mind, how did these weird curvy angles appear?! Anyway, we should react with proper measure.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 04:27:03 am »
Katana has a reach advantage, no matter how you look at it, sorry. Indeed, it appears my mathematical genius is a bit too much for you to handle, so let me attempt to simplify it so you can understand. Katana is in practice a lot longer than any 1h when attacking with an overhead attack, left-to-right or a thrust. It only has shorter reach than some 1h when comparing it with 1h's right-to-left. Katana's thrust is longer than any 1h's any attack.

I hope this was simple enough.
Some? You asked, I listed many 1 handers which out reach it. Then there was the bit about total + to reach, which in theory, means a Katana should outreach a spear or something

Still not seeing what the magic + to thrust is, perhaps I missed it in all that graphical analysis and witty reparté.

When you say no matter how you look at it, that actually looks mentally deficient when you later say 'except' and mention the inconvienient bit that doesn't play along with your statement. You imply the katana user should logically get the first wack in due to range, except in the unfortunate circumstances when the opposing one hander is so foolish as to use the shitty one attack with the greater reach: I know, you are going to tell me it's only a one in four chance of that happening - seems simple enough.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog