Author Topic: Here's the secret to being awesome at this game... auto block hack...  (Read 16952 times)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Here's the secret to being awesome at this game... auto block hack...
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:05 pm »
The autoblock of mine is much better, but i still can't get used to it.

Is it called a shield?  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:40 pm »
The autoblock of mine is much better, but i still can't get used to it.

The admins have come to a conclusion, they have decided to stop kicking everyone who shoots at you anymore. Your autoblock doesn't work anymore.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 05:04:28 pm »
my auto suck is alive and well.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2011, 05:06:02 pm »
my auto suck is alive and well.

Mine too!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline SpeedyBanana

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »
It's sad how egotistical and arrogant the cRPG community is especially on the forum. I've been playing this mod for a while now and I've seen a few threads over that time about people suspecting hacks were being used. Every time someone made a mention of it they got trolled and flamed with comments such as "you're just a noob" or "the other guy is just better than you" or some other sumg / sarcastic reply.

Then these hacks were posted publicly and over 250 people were banned, a SIGNIFICANT percentage of players when you take a look at how few people are actually playing cRPG or Warband. A little bit of common sense would tell you that many people escaped the bans which just further illustrates how wide spread the usage was. Of course nobody went back to those posters months ago and said "wow... I guess you were right and were just a bunch of troll idiots"... no... of course not... because egotistical clowns will always continue to be egotistical clowns and cRPG is the egotistical clown hot-spot.

If you think these hacks just came out in the past couple of months you've got to be really f***ing stupid. The reality is that these hacks have been in the game from the start as any half decent programmer could make an auto-block hack seeing as how the whole auto-blocking system is already part of the game design. So what happened before this hacks became public? Nothing... people were using it and none of you were the f***ng wiser, especially all the admins; some of them who claim to be experts at the game and that it takes an expert to really know if someone is hacking. Well all you "experts" didn't know jack shit until the hack creator got bored with this game and decided to put it up on a public forum for everyone to download. It took well over a year before people started getting banned for this hack, and only after it was posted on a public forum and made about as obvious as possible that a hack does exist. So your comments about how "I could easily tell if someone is hacking" makes no f***ing sense and is just another example of the egotistical clown nature of this community that I mentioned.

Perhaps there is a way to automatically detect this specific hack... there probably is... considering the guy who developed it offered to send the source code to anyone who PMs him. The point I'm trying to make is:

1). That the whole "admin spectating" system of detection is clearly worth jack shit considering how long it took for people to realize the fact that hacks are prevalent in this game, and in the end it wasn't even player spectating that discovered this. The community became aware and actions were taken only after the hack developer put up the hack for public download and offered the source code as well. Yeah... obviously it's going to be easy to deal with once you can easily download the hack, test it out to see how it works, and look over the source code to see how it's programmed. 

2). Systems like Steam's VAC or PunkBuster take continual updates to stop hacks as there are many ways to get around detection and it takes a team of people working full time to keep hacking under control in other games. It's not like this auto-block hack was designed to bypass any kind of security; from the looks of it, it seems about as complex as a regular trainer, yet it was being used in the game for so long by a large number of people until the community found out. If you think his hack can't be redesigned with more thought so that it's harder to detect automatically or visually then you're a f***ing idiot.

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter to me as I always play cavalry or archer. Frequent admin presence, public knowledge of this hack, and a super small game population where word gets around has helped keep this hack under control. I still believe this is being used today from what I've seen, but realistically it's probably by 1-2% of the population or less and because of game dynamics (arrows, bolts, throwing, horses, etc), it doesn't have a big impact on the game to the point where it ruins the fun or becomes unplayable. I'm sure if this mod doesn't die down in the next 6-12 months somebody else will get board with the game and decide to put up his hacks for public download. At which point a lot of will think to yourselves "ohh wow... I guess we were wrong and this has been going on for a while" but publicly still maintain an arrogant attitude about how you actually knew about this all along... because... you know... you're such a pro at this game that there's no way anyone could ever fool you! What a joke...

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »
WE ALL KNOW THAT IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A WHILE OH MY GOD!

The sky is falling bro.... *whispers* the sky is falling

Seriously, we all know that these hacks have been and probably are still going on. What we are saying though is that the vast majority (not all, just the vast majority) of the people that are accused of hacking are actually just really good.

We are also saying that we catch them sooner or later...
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »
many people escaped the bans which just further illustrates how wide spread the usage was.

Based on what?

Also you can say fuck.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
Then these hacks were posted publicly and over 250 people were banned, a SIGNIFICANT percentage of players when you take a look at how few people are actually playing cRPG or Warband. A little bit of common sense would tell you that many people escaped the bans which just further illustrates how wide spread the usage was.

Your assuming they were banned because someone observed them hacking, and that there was a lot that wasn't banned. What if the hack itself was logged over some time, then everyone who ever used it was banned, wouldn't that change your perspective a little bit?
No one in their right mind would dare to auto-block in c-rpg because it means they will lose their character, not after last ban-wave.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »
Yes, spend 100 hours getting a decent character, use autoblock once and all those hours go to waste... no point.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Wiawins_ATS

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2011, 07:00:42 pm »
Fortunate, I still have a different autoblock that nobody's ever banned me for - a shield.
Win.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2011, 07:26:41 pm »
tl;dr: hacks are bad, mmkay.

I get your message that hacks can be detrimental to the game and should be taken seriously. 

Here's the message from us that you need to get.

1) A bunch of people have already been banned.  Will hackers try again with different tools?  Yes.  Have the devs demonstrated their ability to thwart hackers and be concerned about the issue?  Yes. 
2) This is old news, the community has already been over this and you're just beating a dead horse.
3) Players that were banned: ~250
    Good players that were banned: ~0
The players who are awesome are still around and have been through waves of autoblocker bans.  That should tell you something.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »
Are there people using the hack currently?
Yes, I'm guessing around 50 or so were dumb enough to try again since last ban wave. I could check, but I really don't care enough right now. We'll wait for some time until we ban the next wave. Also, any official admin is not allowed to ban for suspected autoblocking, because we don't need a witchhunt here. The only thing that hurts a game more than hacks is people suspecting other people of hacking.

That's why clever people relax, say to themselves "just wait a week" when they suspect one and go on. We just laugh when people get all thrilled and say "i suspect someone of autoblocking!". Because we don't give a shit. When he did, we know it. And when he didn't, the reporter looks like a jerk.

The point is: you have no point. I'm not even sure what you were trying to achieve with that thread. So people know there's an autoblocker? Well no shit, that has been around for nearly a year. And no secret at all.

Frequent admin presence, public knowledge of this hack, and a super small game population where word gets around has helped keep this hack under control.
Yeah, that sure worked out well for native. Getting your ass banned with your looms locked up was what kept this hack under control in cRPG. They even say so in the first line line of the thread you linked. Do not use in cRPG.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31:53 pm »
I get your message that hacks can be detrimental to the game and should be taken seriously. 

Here's the message from us that you need to get.

1) A bunch of people have already been banned.  Will hackers try again with different tools?  Yes.  Have the devs demonstrated their ability to thwart hackers and be concerned about the issue?  Yes. 
2) This is old news, the community has already been over this and you're just beating a dead horse.
3) Players that were banned: ~250
    Good players that were banned: ~0
The players who are awesome are still around and have been through waves of autoblocker bans.  That should tell you something.
win

Banana...
Hackers have been around forever. I consider it lame, but try and have pride in the way you play and assume defeat comes at the hands of a skilled opponent.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:44:08 pm by Zisa »
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »
I like chadz' post. Nice of him to respond here.

I would like to add: if you play a few months and learn the mechanics of the game a bit, you'll realize that an autoblock is not going to help you win against skilled players.

Blocking is only a small part of the equation that is crpg. Like others have pointed out, you need to be able to attack properly. You also need footwork. You need battle awareness. Teamplay. Map knowledge. Heck, there is too much to sum up.

An autoblock hack will allow you to block melee attacks flawlessly for a little while. But you aren't able to stop arrows, prevent cav from bumping you and you can probably not attack back properly. Good luck and have fun for a week or two and then get permabanned...

I can't see who would want that, to be honest. And it also shows, if you look at the names of the people who are banned for autoblock, almost none of them were 'known' players. Mostly just newbies looking for an edge and probably failing to get it, because we never see them top the score charts or have a big impact on battles.

You see, i'm not worried. The devs got this under control. To end, i'd like to quote the cover of my favorite virtual book: DON'T PANIC!   :wink:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »
Also, any official admin is not allowed to ban for suspected autoblocking, because we don't need a witchhunt here. The only thing that hurts a game more than hacks is people suspecting other people of hacking.
Awesome policy.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.